Water Ingestion

Bean Eater

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Blue, auto
As I run a K&N panel air fiter in a stock airbox and have removed my snow screen from my stock snorkel, I decided to take advantage of some rainy Pacific Northwest weather today and see if I could find evidence of water ingestion hazard with my configuration.

I drove 10 miles to the Cenex station in Snohomish followed by another 15 miles back to Lynnwood while driving in moderately heavy precipitation in a lot of road mist thrown up by cars and heavy trucks ahead of me. Immediately upon arrival home, I opened my airbox to discover it to be bone dry.

Not only that, but I discovered my K&N panel makes such a complete and occlusive seal with the upper airbox cover when using the recommended grease bead seal that the panel actually pulled up out of the lower airbox attached by grease adhesion to the upper box half

The filter element too was bone dry.

If anyone would like to see a repetition of this, I will be at Heinz's GTG in Olymipa, WA tomorrow and if the forecast rain continues, I will demonstrate for any interested parties.