How much do I offer for this 2002 Jetta TDI

cgjarvis

TDI
none
New here..

Volvo dealer has a 2002 Jetta GLS 5sp TDI with 133k on it. It was a trade-in. Comes with half used summer tires and half used winters. Suspension clunks some(struts likely?), clutch peddle felt "gritty" like an old cable clutch. Engine belts were making noise(sqeaks). There were a couple of scrapes here and there. It did drive nice, save for the struts. Had smooth power and tranny was good.

The bad...no service records at all. I could try and contact the original owner...but not sure I will get far with that. No idea about what oil used, timing belt, etch.. They offered to let me bring it to VW for a check up.

They are askin 10,900. I'm sure they prolly have not more than $6-7k in it as a trade.

But with no maint records....what can one offer? $7500? $8500?

Thanks,
Chris

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
i think you must pay to get one of these what your offering is what these things sell for wholesale in my state for. Its all location with these tdi`s

cgjarvis

TDI
none
Cool....the struts are really sponge too. I have not replaced any on a VW in a while...but cant be that bad...

I will have to call VW and find out how much a Tbelt job cost and when they have to be done...

Ya...they think they are going to get rich on this car...I told them with out service records that they will have trouble. That and with new TDI's for 08/09, the competition certainly hurt resale some. Why pay $11k for 133K miles when I can spend double and get a new car?

Thanks,
Chris

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I think you've got to anticipate a full going-thru starting with the timing belt and related components. Can you end up around $8000-$8500 as-is? You've got to have some reserve $$$ set aside for those surprises.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
What are local ebay listings NEAR YOU going for? Should give you a rough idea of the local market value...

Save yourself some money and have a guru do the TB for you.