02 Jetta wagon; what’s it worth?

DMG1

TDI
02 Jetta wagon
I have a 2002 Jetta wagon TDI. It has 132k on it with the dreaded automatic rebuilt less than 20k ago. It has the Full Circle Fuels SVO conversion but I don’t think it has been used with SVO. I got a few barrels of SVO with it. There is no rust and the body is good overall with the bumper out of alignment on one side.

It was sitting, rarely driven for a few years but I have been driving it and it runs and drives very nicely. The check engine light comes on sometimes with a code for the coolant temp sensor.

I traded for it recently with plans to use it to commute but I am reducing my commute and don’t really have space for another car to sit around.

What does TDI club think I should ask for this car?

Apologies in advance if this is inappropriate in this forum, I am new here.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
From the rearward parts- $5500. Fix the CTS.
Get some real data from Edmunds, KBB, NADA, etc. Actual sale prices are what matters, hard to find those.
But if this is all true-
Aside from the issues with the transmission and a likely trashed injection pump that car will very likely need ...suspension, brakes, ball joint / tie rods and many of the same parts that any other Mk-4 that has been neglected.
As I said its a $300.00 car
My price is way high.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The auto trans in this makes the value of $5500 mentioned above very questionable. Putting it for sale on this site won't get it much attention at or near that price. This is a 17 year old car and values have flattened out for unrestored ones. Even those are getting hard to sell without a very detailed maintenance and repair history.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It would be difficult to accurately estimate value with the information you've provided. If you could prove it was never run on WVO that would help. And if you have any info on the transmission rebuild that would help, although an automatic in this car makes it significantly less valuable.

And without photos that show cosmetic condition (interior, headliner, seats, etc., and whether or not there's any rust (rocker panels, fenders, tailgate), who knows.

This car could be worth $5K if it's excellent. Or you may be better off parting it out. Depends.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The auto trans in this makes the value of $5500 mentioned above very questionable. Putting it for sale on this site won't get it much attention at or near that price. This is a 17 year old car and values have flattened out for unrestored ones. Even those are getting hard to sell without a very detailed maintenance and repair history.
I can only agree my price is very questionable. I always try to give a response when solicited, half the times these turn out to be leads for a sales pitch.
I missed your number.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
An ALH with an "alternative Fuel" system AND an automatic transmission worth...About the cost to tow it to the salvage yard. It's a $300 car at tops

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Kelly BlueBook for Minneapolis MN ranges $2005 to $3413. I paid $2000 for mine and I since it is automatic I am putting the 5 speed manual transmission with WaveTrac LSD into it from my Golf.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
An ALH with an "alternative Fuel" system AND an automatic transmission worth...About the cost to tow it to the salvage yard. It's a $300 car at tops
The WVO thing is a strike for most, as is the auto...there are folks out there who have heard great things about 'TDI' cars and would jump in.

And Herm, there is neither an 'I' in Team, nor an 'a' in delete.
cheers,
Douglas

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Throw it on the facebook TDI page for sale - the ALH fanboyz will buy any MKIV wagon they can find. Personally - it's two strikes against it for me for the same reasons Herm mentioned. But - I'd say it's worth $1k-$1500 or so (and I have a 5sp swap parts car with a good IP if that one ever saw SVO).

Sell it ASAP though - as more and more "fixed" scandal cars are being sold, the demand for the MKIVs will drop again. A couple years ago, even a 5sp wasn't worth what yours could go for now. I need to move my 03 wagon for the same reason!

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Throw it on the facebook TDI page for sale - the ALH fanboyz will buy any MKIV wagon they can find. Personally - it's two strikes against it for me for the same reasons Herm mentioned. But - I'd say it's worth $1k-$1500 or so (and I have a 5sp swap parts car with a good IP if that one ever saw SVO).

Sell it ASAP though - as more and more "fixed" scandal cars are being sold, the demand for the MKIVs will drop again. A couple years ago, even a 5sp wasn't worth what yours could go for now. I need to move my 03 wagon for the same reason!

Aside from the issues with the transmission and a likely trashed injection pump that car will very likely need ...suspension, brakes, ball joint / tie rods and many of the same parts that any other Mk-4 that has been neglected.

Last edited:

DMG1

TDI
02 Jetta wagon

No, it doesn’t need suspension, brakes, etc. the trans is a relatively fresh reman. it looks like you have posted twice in this thread without actually reading my initial post.

Thanks to everyone else that has offered advice.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Around $750-1000 if it's in excellent cosmetic shape. It's an auto(a minus to most), it doesn't have meticulous records for maintenance and repairs. It's not a southern car. Highly unlikely it's a GLX with rare/desirable options, it sat a while, unlikely it has a mint factory paint job with a super rare paint code. I'm willing to bet it rides simply ok, but not proper/correct. It'd be under "just enough to pass inspection". It actually does need a complete suspension refresh, all the bushings, control arms, wheel bearings, springs, struts with bushings and bearings, tie rods and tie rod ends, ball joints, all the hardware associated with that job. Very likely brakes front and rear, pads and rotors. I'm also willing to bet that it could do with a proper timing belt change, all the filters replaced. The flexpipe on the exhaust is likely going soon. The EGR system and intake manifold could use a thorough cleaning. Also willing to bet there's some hazing going on with the headlights. Also, willing to bet there's good slop in the dog bone, motor and trans bushings. If I was a buyer, I'd assume no maintenance has been done and would price out everything that was supposed to have been done by this point, since there's no records. Injection pump would be questionable. On the plus side, it's an ALH, but not an 03 ALH. It's a wagon, so it makes it a good candidate for somebody who wants to bag it and roll coal. It could also be converted into a UTE by using the SMYTH kit to do so. That's not a very likely option, but it is a possibility. This would be a car i'd pay $500 for if my wagon got hit in the back or the side to simply transplant everything into and sell what's left on the cheap. It'd be worth more to you to keep it, tbh.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Not based on what I've seen on the facebook tdi "forum". I wouldn't touch it myself, but every day there's a post from someone who just bought an auto because it was all they could find - at way more money that anyone "in the know" would pay. ALH + Wagon is like gold because that's what they read on the internet.

DMG1

TDI
02 Jetta wagon

It sold for way, way, way more than your estimate. Maybe you should get out of TDIs if you hate them so much and apparently are so uninformed about them.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
As a running car... They still sell upward of $2k for sedans, and anywhere between $4k-$8k for wagons in this area. And that's without service records, automatics, and 200k miles on them. But they also have barely any cosmetic issues and no CEL.

bmw

TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon BEW
As a running car... They still sell upward of $2k for sedans, and anywhere between $4k-$8k for wagons in this area. And that's without service records, automatics, and 200k miles on them. But they also have barely any cosmetic issues and no CEL.
Wow looks like I now know where to sell my TDI lol. My wagon has 236k miles, I paid 2500 canadian to the original owner. It's manual with service records too

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Here's 2 wagons in my area;

https://york.craigslist.org/cto/d/middletown-2005-volkswagen-passat-tdi/6779344674.html

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/d/lancaster-2005-vw-jetta-wagon-tdi/6783356870.html