Progressively developing noise from Engine

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
I have a 2003 ALH with 390k km on it. A few days ago I started hearing a whirring when the rpms where up. The sound is in sync with rpms so I don't think it's the turbo, it's gotten progressively louder and more pronounced over the past few days. It kinda sounds like it's in the area of the IP/PSP/Alternator.

The best way I can describe the sound is like a transmission when driving in reverse.

I'm thinking Power Steering Pump but I'm unsure how to take the belt off the accessory drive quickly to just test that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
One of these helps a lot:
https://www.eastwood.com/fairmount-...0020&msclkid=06d6ddf9dd91110f9c72863e00d524f9
...if you're trying to save time. Also, putting that puppy back on from the top, can prove challenging.
The belt wrench is used to release tension off the belt tensioner, allowing removal of the belt. The tensioner is the roller with the shock absorber looking thing integrated into it. 16mm low-profile socket makes it an easy off.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
You don't remove the tensioner (unless it needs replacement).
Just release tension and remove belt. Run car and see if noise is gone....evaluate all the rolly stuff in its path.

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
Your local auto parts chain store may even loan it for free.

Start with the serpentine belt off then if the sound remains, open the timing belt cover and check to see if the sound gets louder. If so, it's time for a timing belt job.

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
I removed the tension and slid the belt to the side. Sound is gone. Seems there is a small dent on the tensioner pully, the AC condenser is soaked in a oily fluid. All the pullys spun fine, no hang ups or anything. I'm really thinking PSP...

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
I have a small dent on my tensioner pulley too. No idea why that is, but it's still running with 185K miles.

As for the PSP, does the sound change when you turn the wheel left and right? (i.e. putting load on the pump) You could try changing out the fluid first. Cheaper than a new pump.

What about the A/C? Does the sound change when you engage it?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
My money is on the alternator / clutched pulley.
Take a hold of the alternator pulley to check for lateral play / slop. If the alt. pullry has lateral play the bearings are shot. Thats what I see most often

gootie

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,05,white TIP
engine noise

Haven't been on site for a long time. I happened to read through this thread and ran into comment from Indigobluewagon. He recommended to check PS fluid.I recently found mine to be quite low and after replenishing my "engine noise" stopped. Where did the fluid go? My aluminum skid plate has had some oil buildup that I assumed was engine oil.It likely was PS fluid. The level has been stable for 3 months, I had loaned my car to daughter and her husband for almost three years and I think they had a nasty habit of holding the steering wheel against the stop for more than just a split second when maneuvering. My car is currently showing 232k and it is running well with an RC 1+ tune that was done at around 80k

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
Me and my dad did some exploring with a screwdriver and found the noise is coming from the AC compressor. The PS fluid was the first thing I checked when this noise started and it was at the full mark.

Not sure what can be done with the compressor, since I can't find anything online about it making a noise like this. Probably just going to have to throw a compressor at it :/

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
Replacing the A/C compressor is surpisingly easy. Just two bolts! But you gotta evacuate the R134 at a A/C shop if you want to do it legally.

I got my new compressor at FCP Euro. Nissens. Around $200. Blows cold and engine's smooth.