The dreaded Rocker panel corrosion ... and a fix!

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I need to resolve a corrosion problem with the rocker panels on my 2002 Golf 4Dr.
The worst is the driver's side front where the rocker meets the wheel well (Typical).
I found a pair replacement rocker panels that do not require welding !!
I received them today ! I was impressed with the packaging. Though the shipping was a bit on the slow side (My ONLY) complaint.
So, I opened the box and removed the packaging material. They are made of fiberglass and have a good with good rigidity , meaning they didn't scrimp on the fiberglass.
So without doing a single bit of preparation I was obsessed with finding out what they looked like on the car. Straight out of the box I did a "Dry Fit" and slid them into place on the car. I am impressed !!
I took photos but it seems like the TDI photo server is not letting me upload my photos. :(
These replacement rocker panels are intended to be installed with structural
automotive adhesive (not just caulk).

Last edited:

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Be nice to see pics. Where are they from?

I repaired mine this spring, and I ended up using fiberglass.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
prep

My NB could use those. What preparation is required and who has them?
As with any automotive body repair for corrosion. You will need to resolve the corrosion my means of removal (I'll be cutting out the heavy corrosion then sand blast and remaining material) . The next step is a rust conversion product I'll be using the Rust-oleum Rust Reformer. On top of that ..I'll apply marine primer. Then once I have the corrosion issues resolved I'll install the replacement running boards with automotive structural adhesive.
I got these running boards from E-bay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152867461181

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Subscribed

Would like to see photos of your damage and the rocker placed on the car to see the coverage.
If you can email them that would be great

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
replacement rocker panels

OK...The photo server is now fixed and I've up-loaded a few photos.
Keep in mind this is a "Dry fit" . I took the rockers out of the shipping box and then directly fitted to my 2002 Golf just to see if they were the correct size for my Golf.

This is the R/H forward corner

This is the R/H rear corner

The side view (rough) installation
As I've mentioned it was raining , and I was impatient to see the rough fitment.
In my opinion this is a viable repair for the rusted rocker panel.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Herm , do you have any before photos of the rust that your repairing?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
On a unibody car, the rocker panels are a structural member and for safety reasons have specific repair procedures.
None of which is replacing structural steel parts with plastic non structural decorative parts.
Kinda like using wood or silly putty for lug nuts.

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
On a unibody car, the rocker panels are a structural member and for safety reasons have specific repair procedures.
None of which is replacing structural steel parts with plastic decorative parts.
Kinda like using silly putty for lug nuts.
The rocker panels on a MK-4 are "skins" just like fenders (which are NOT structural members). The "skins" are cosmetic body elements like the door skins.
The rockers on a Mk-3 ARE structural elements .

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So if RPs are non structural, why are they welded in place to the side panel and floor panel (pinch weld?) of the passenger compartment box? Could it be to make the passenger compartment box less likely to crumple when T-boned?

Help me out with some pictures of the construction. I learn some of the most useful information by being wrong...................

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
So if RPs are non structural, why are they welded in place to the side panel and floor panel (pinch weld?) of the passenger compartment box? Could it be to make the passenger compartment box less likely to crumple when T-boned?

Help me out with some pictures of the construction. I learn some of the most useful information by being wrong...................
I have a copy of ETKA to move onto this PC.
ETKA is an illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB) of the entire car.
The pinchweld on the floor of the car is where the side structure is welded to the floor element. The rocker skins are spot welded to both of these elements.
So think of the "Pinch Weld" as the union between the floor pan and the side structure which includes , the A-Pillar, B- pillar and the C-pillar.
The rocker panel is a skin that encapsulates this void.

Damn, I do wish I had ETKA set up on this PC. I would gladly let you see this configuration.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the pics Herm.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I have a copy of ETKA to move onto this PC.
ETKA is an illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB) of the entire car.
The pinchweld on the floor of the car is where the side structure is welded to the floor element. The rocker skins are spot welded to both of these elements.
So think of the "Pinch Weld" as the union between the floor pan and the side structure which includes , the A-Pillar, B- pillar and the C-pillar.
The rocker panel is a skin that encapsulates this void.

Damn, I do wish I had ETKA set up on this PC. I would gladly let you see this configuration.
This certainly is a very interesting subject. I'm sure that the RP's may add some rigidity to the cars structure because they do make the other two sides of a box section, but how much added strenth? IDK. Is the pinchweld joint spot welded or is it a continuous weld? Irregardless of design structural strength, My biggest concern with a plastic overcap would be that rust would continue inside the areas that are box sections.

Yes, ETKA would be a great program to have access to. I have found that even some dealers don't quite understand how it works. My local dealer told me that you could not buy a voltage regulator and you had to buy a complete alternator. I didn't bother to tell him I had already found the regulator on line and wanted to confirm the P/N before I ordered it. :rolleyes: