2002, ran wvo, fixed limp mode, good vacuum, egr problem still.

Melvis

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Ok so I just replaced n75, map sensor, turbo actuator and vacuum lines. Started car idled awesome. Tried to throttle up and it died. Started it back up and no go. Tested all vacuum lines all were clear and tested perfect. Fired car back up it started great again let idle this time and about 2 minutes into idle it started to miss and died again. So took took pipe off to check shudder valve and it never moved but once the egr activated started smoking out intake bad but kept running. So I was stumped. Started reading and nothing really pertained to the problem so I racked my brain. Unplugged egr vacuum line and plugged. Car started and ran awesomely with great boost and no misses whatsoever. So my question is with it previously running wvo, do you think that the valves are so bad that it isn’t getting enough air with the egr open? Another question, sorry I’m new to TDIClub, is do you think I should just run the car like it is and when the timing belt is do then just pull the whole head and clean it or pull it now and do a good inspection and clean it? Can I even clean it or adjust valves and see if that makes a noticeable difference? Oh and another thing I forgot to add, previous owner had car for about 40,000 miles and ran 5w30 synthetic not 5/40 not sure if it will add into your assessment of my particular situation. Thank you

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Re-check that you replaced all the vacuum lines correctly.
What was the car doing that made you replac those other components?
How much carbon is in the EGR/intake manifold?

Melvis

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
It was in limp mode is why I replaced the n75, turbo actuator, map sensor and vacuum lines. I have rechecked all vacuum lines and double rechecked actually to make sure they were right and everything is good. So I’m pretty sure this is an oxygen deficiency problem when the egr is open. Because it runs just fine with the egr cut out. Has some zip, never owned one before, the turbo is definitely working and it’s running great.

Melvis

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
So from what I’m reading I believe it’s just the timing because I took the fuse out for the n108 and the engine timing changed so hopefully it’s just getting the timing reset and might be good to go. I am currently driving it on trips to Elko Nevada so everything is kinda straightened out with the egr I plugged it back in today and it ran just fine! I honestly believe it was a plugged cat but don’t know because it’s starting to burn out I believe

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
When my car had a plugged cat I could hold it at high rpm for about 10 miles, get it super hot and it would run great till it cooled back off.

Melvis

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Well I don’t think that is the issue now. Because I plugged my egr in and it ran just fine. Last week when I started this adventure I couldn’t operate the egr and have the car run, it would die as soon as the egr opened, now it’s good to go.