ALH Boost issues

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
Actuator adjustment, stop screw should be fine. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Haha but righty tighty lefty loosey depends on what direction you hold the actuator.

I was assuming from your shorter is more comment that lengthening the rod decreases the boost.

But the more I think about it a shorter rod will require more distance to travel to the stop screw, so maybe that is needed for less boost.

Sorry I'm so confused lol. I am just trying to understand exactly how the system works instead of just blindly following instructions.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I do it from the top. Top righty shorten, lefty lengthen. Shorter acts quicker, and longer is slower.
Bottom is opposite.
I am not trying to confuse you.

The best way to express the concept is from the top you're adjusting to the turbo, right for more boost, left for less boost.
From the bottom you're adjusting to the actuator, left for more boost, and right for less boost.

I want to see 100 to 138 over on the log spike and 500 throws limp mode. The ECU will inject more fuel if MAF readings say that it needs to. So more over lowers fuel mileage without the tune to tell it otherwise.
The ecu will adapt to the settings so long as it's within range of its adaptation capability.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Ahh that makes sense. Thanks! I will lengthen the rod and then do some logging.
I log and adjust multiple times in succession to get it right. Starts to get hot and the vacuum pump helps to pull pressure off for easier adjustment.
Just be sure not to bind when you tighten up the lock nut.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
I log and adjust multiple times in succession to get it right. Starts to get hot and the vacuum pump helps to pull pressure off for easier adjustment.
Just be sure not to bind when you tighten up the lock nut.

Yeah, I figured I would have to. I lengthened it one turn of the rod, now I'll do some logging.

Thanks for the heads up. I did the adjustment with the actuator off the turbo, and then did a final tighten holding the end of the rod with some vice-grips. It looks straight and not crooked, so hopefully no binding.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, I figured I would have to. I lengthened it one turn of the rod, now I'll do some logging.

Thanks for the heads up. I did the adjustment with the actuator off the turbo, and then did a final tighten holding the end of the rod with some vice-grips. It looks straight and not crooked, so hopefully no binding.
I Always try to slide it back and forth with no vacuum application. If it looks straight/ perpendicular to the lever it's usually pretty good.