Is it really worth changing my DMF to single?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Dont know why people bash on DMF as this LUK seems very good!

Keep talking me into it :)
The DMF is the weak link and if you're running stock, or slightly modified, the DMF is definitely capable of doing 250k and is quieter, which is why they used it.
If you plan on staying 120hp or less the DMF is definitely a good option, especially with a luk pressure plate.
I believe that my DMF came apart from the power my engine puts out, pulling a trailer cross country, and age.
The pressure plate is the determining factor in slipping and I doubt even a stock clutch will slip at 120 HP or less.
A single mass causes quite a bit more vibration between 3400 and 4200 rpm. Interstate driving is smooth though.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Im right around 135-145whp so should i still confirm the purchase for the LUK 17-050?

Im noticing more and more my clutch is slipping so i need something soon

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Done, its been ordered! Now to read up and get the tools needed to do this! You think its possible to finish in less than 8hrs?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Im right around 135-145whp so should i still confirm the purchase for the LUK 17-050?
Have you dyno'd the car? What matters is the torque numbers. I would limit the LUK kit to cars making less than 250 or so lb/ft. at the wheels. If you have a PD with a tune only you should be OK, you're probably making 225 or so.

MadScience

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5spd; 2002 Golf GL TDI 5psd; 1998 Beetle TDI 5spd (sold); 2001 Jetta TDI 5spd swap
Yes, 4 hours actually, 8 doing it slowly to be sure you're OCD.
4 hours would be very impressive. May be I am really slow :)

Take your time. Less chance of making a mistake that way. It's a relief when everything works once the job is done. It would suck to have to go back in there

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I know it would take me an entire weekend and I'd probably finish with a system hydraulic fluid bleed on Monday. Frequent breaks and I'd quit after 3 beers. I'm sure it can be done leisurely in 5 or 6 hours.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
4 hours would be very impressive. May be I am really slow :)

Take your time. Less chance of making a mistake that way. It's a relief when everything works once the job is done. It would suck to have to go back in there
Yes, like the three a week experience, and all the tools, honestly. First time I took my time and a day and a half was spent.
I could do it in 6 with experienced help pulling the bumper I believe.
Maybe I was a little too vague in my last post.
This is everything included in a shop with everything needed.
But realistically for the average Joe, without a shop, a day and a half with engineering the brace for holding the engine up and pulling axles, etc is possible if you are, experienced, organized and methodical.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk