Is it really worth changing my DMF to single?

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I have a BEW golf that makes a loud engine rattle sound when clutch is pressed in halfway; then when fully engaged its gone...How could i check if i have worn out parts?? Im thinking its my DMF (unless previous owner changed it to single and i dont know?) car has 210k miles on it and runs great!

I watched some videos and it seems doable but as always, if i dont have to do it i dont want to! Need some help here!

Thanks you all!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The only way I know to check parts is to pull it apart.

I went with the single mass because the double mass came apart and everything else was good still. So the dual mass flywheel is the weak link and the single mass may never have to be changed.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
At that mileage it's probably done. On stock power cars, I install stock replacement DMF kits. My 03 had 303k miles on it when I replaced it (probably needed it 50k before). I figure if stock lasted that long, why mess with a SMF and deal with rattles, etc.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
IDparts has a "quiet" SMF kit. I installed one in an 03 Jetta. It is quiet and smooth. The lady has never complained about noise.

But, on the flip-side, I did install an OE DMF in my 84 Vanagon with the ALH engine. It is very quiet and smooth.

I changed the OE DMF in my 2000 Jetta at 291k miles while doing a front suspension refresh. It appeared just fine but I suspect it was near the end of its useful life.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
You can remove the starter and try to move the flywheel ring. If it is bad, it can move easily 2 inches and rattle. Mine lasted to 192k without a tune and I put a LUK DMF back in. I also had the pulley seized on the alternator at the same time that made a lot of noise that hid the DMF going bad.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Seems like alot of work to do this and its not cheap! Im trying to find some guide for how to do it like the timing belt and camshaft tutorial; I want to make sure its bad before buying the parts needed as its my daily driver

I like your idea joep1234, i will remove the starter anyways to re grease it as sometimes i hear it making noise. What do you mean by moving the flywheel ring and it moving 2" and rattling?

In the end i probably need it but now it not the best timing for me which is why i ask...Dont want the cars tranny screwed up!

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
When I had mine replaced, the hub moved all over the place. It will be real sloppy as you try and move it. Use a screw driver to pry it back and forth. The new one would move but it was smooth.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I realized mine was bad when I started having issues getting into gear. Start looking at the job in anticipation of the inevitable as I did. Look at the how to and diy section for the write-up, it use the search link in my signature. Which doesn't show up in Tapatalk, hmm.
https://cse.google.com/cse?q=+&cx=018097697432185261444:_idbzjdyxdm

Last edited:

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Will check it out and post back; reason im asking is maybe the previous owner changed it to a single but im just being paranoid? It drives great no problems shifting just makes a louder rattle sound when warmed up and clutch is half pressed if that makes sense

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It drives great no problems shifting just makes a louder rattle sound when warmed up and clutch is half pressed if that makes sense
With the clutch pressed half way in the throw out bearing is holding the pressure plate back just enough to allow it to rattle and rattle the throw out lever as well.

My recommendation is to use the search feature I posted above and find the clutch change how to, kill da auto wabbit is another thread with removal and install proceedures. When the flywheel goes bad, you'll know it.

Just look up the process and study for the time being, and research what clutches are available so when the inevitable happens you're prepared.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
....................How could i check if i have worn out parts?? I'm thinking its my DMF........................
That's the hard part. Mechanics who have seen a dozen or so failed may be able to spot it. But for us hearing it for the first time, it's tough, cars make a lot of noise.
My nephew who is young but well trained says you can hear it in the driveway at high revs.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
My used car had a rattly DMF. Nothing outstanding when comparing it to other TDIs i heard.
Then after a couple of thousand miles (60k --> 63kish) it statrted randomly vibrating. Thats when i started to worry.

By reading multiple threads in this forum
I learned about how some DMFs like to go out catastrophically sometimes taking the trans bellhousing with it.

The SMF i put is very noisy. But no vibration. Nice linear clutch grab. I do a lot of idling every day and thats abother no-no for DMF so i just live with the noise knowing my SMF will not explode into pieces...

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
It's probably the DMF on its way out, but check your alternator pulley first. I thought my DMF was on its way out 8 years ago. Did some more checking around the engine compartment and the clutched pulley had locked up solid.

If replacing the clutch, unless you're going to do big power mods or demand the absolute most bulletproof TDI at any cost, I would put a Luk RepSet 17-050 in it. It's incredibly inexpensive, quiet, light pedal feel and some say more durable than the stock clutch/DMF. Clutch/pressure plate/DMF already come assembled.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
It's probably the DMF on its way out, but check your alternator pulley first. I thought my DMF was on its way out 8 years ago. Did some more checking around the engine compartment and the clutched pulley had locked up solid.

If replacing the clutch, unless you're going to do big power mods or demand the absolute most bulletproof TDI at any cost, I would put a Luk RepSet 17-050 in it. It's incredibly inexpensive, quiet, light pedal feel and some say more durable than the stock clutch/DMF. Clutch/pressure plate/DMF already come assembled.

Thanks for the advice! I changed out the alt pulley last year so its not that; I will do much reading up on that and i guess tackle it asap as i dont want to have a problem occur

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
You can remove the starter and try to move the flywheel ring. If it is bad, it can move easily 2 inches and rattle. Mine lasted to 192k without a tune and I put a LUK DMF back in. I also had the pulley seized on the alternator at the same time that made a lot of noise that hid the DMF going bad.
flywheel ring gear is directly connected to the crank and will not move with the secondary mass

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf

I would be going with a stage 1.5 or even stage 2 tune with a bigger turbo so im wondering if the luk will slip with my car? I like the reviews about it and am tempted to order it but will not want to redo the clutch as it doesnt seem as easy as swapping turbos out :/

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I would be going with a stage 1.5 or even stage 2 tune with a bigger turbo so im wondering if the luk will slip with my car? I like the reviews about it and am tempted to order it but will not want to redo the clutch as it doesnt seem as easy as swapping turbos out :/

I have RC1, and mine doesn't slip even while towing a trailer. You're probably OK with the LuK kit.

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
After installing a SMF flywheel with my clutch job.. I honestly can't really tell a difference between the SMF and the DMF. Strictly talking about the flywheels that is. I think it's a good idea to install a SMF because the cost of a new DMF is pricier compared to a SMF.

My .02

MadScience

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5spd; 2002 Golf GL TDI 5psd; 1998 Beetle TDI 5spd (sold); 2001 Jetta TDI 5spd swap
I've installed the LuK RepSet SMF clutch on 3 of my cars. Zero problems. Handles a chipped car without issue. Very light pedal. Highly recommended.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I've installed the LuK RepSet SMF clutch on 3 of my cars. Zero problems. Handles a chipped car without issue. Very light pedal. Highly recommended.

thanks thats what im wondering...you also had the 17-050? And what do you mean by very light pedal?

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Nice, thank you!

Im leaning towards the LUK 17-050 - just want some more feedback if someone had slipping problems with tune to confirm

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The LUK DMF in my Vanagan with ALH Stage 1 Malone tune doesn't slip pulling a 1200 lb camper loaded with stuff as well as four average humans on-board with all their stuff.........

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
The LUK DMF in my Vanagan with ALH Stage 1 Malone tune doesn't slip pulling a 1200 lb camper loaded with stuff as well as four average humans on-board with all their stuff.........
i'm with Andy, my heavy a** westy with dlc1019's, gt2052, and 11mm rover pump sports a USED LUK 17-050 that had previously been saturated with gear oil ... it did slip under full boost for the first few hundred miles but after that no issues... these clutches are heroic imho

MadScience

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5spd; 2002 Golf GL TDI 5psd; 1998 Beetle TDI 5spd (sold); 2001 Jetta TDI 5spd swap
thanks thats what im wondering...you also had the 17-050? And what do you mean by very light pedal?
Yeah that's the one. Like Bob said, very easy on your left leg :)

No slippage with a tune

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Im ordering one up next week once i get paid! Dont know why people bash on DMF as this LUK seems very good!

Is there a difference between the luk 17-050 and the luk repset 17-050??

Keep talking me into it :)

Last edited: