Failed tappet. Accepting recommendations.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I too will chime in on Franko6, I was new to the TDI world when the timing belt snapped and ate the head and everybody told me to contact Frank for repairs and I am glad I did. Unrelated to the timing belt, I was running WVO at the time and Frank suggested I either start a savings account for a new motor due to the fatty acid build up on the head, or quit the WVO. I quit the WVO.

Brett San Diego

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta wagon manual
Yes. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 were already taken.

To expect a 260k head needs no work is naive. The guides are worn, as are the valve seals. Replacing the oil cooler is completely unnecessary, in my opinion. But I got your message. I don't blame you for doing the PNP, but with that many miles and the engine pulled down, it makes sense to do the cylinder head maintenance.

Good luck.
I'll be monitoring oil consumption. If there is no excess consumption to indicate valve guide wear and/or seal wear, I'm not worried. If I see excess oil consumption, I'll start to worry about valve guide wear and valve guide seal leakage. My oil consumption on my original engine at 350,000 miles was 1.25 qt/10,000 miles. Based on that minimal consumption, I tend not to believe there was a significant issue with worn guides or valve seals. But, maybe I'm naive.

Brett