Golf 4 AJM low on power

Golf2000

TDI
Golf 4 PD AJM
Hello all.

Our Golf 4 is low on power. Drove it 200km and heard noises under acceleration. Like a supercharger but without whine, more rattling-ish. When I got in the car again to go home it would barely accelerate. I've replaced the headgasket before and missed a vacuum line which disabled the turbo and it's very similar except this time all the hoses seem fine.

Anyone has a clue what the problem could be? Advice greatly appreciated!

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Check Codes (is there any?),
Check to see if turbo is working at all using a scanner,
The AJM appears to be a PD motor, it may be worth checking cam, or if these motors are also prone to cam wear...

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Check the boost hoses and vacum lines.

Check for oil on the intake.

Turbo could be dead.

Golf2000

TDI
Golf 4 PD AJM
Went to check the hoses and the manifold is loose. Lost a few bolts but happy it's nothing serious.

Thanks for the replies!

Golf2000

TDI
Golf 4 PD AJM
Well, this hasn't fixed my problem. Went to have the codes read but none came back after deletion so I was adviced to change the air flow meter. These are hard to come by, could I use one from a AGR TDI if the connector fits?

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Well, this hasn't fixed my problem. Went to have the codes read but none came back after deletion so I was adviced to change the air flow meter. These are hard to come by, could I use one from a AGR TDI if the connector fits?
You need to do some diagnosis by looking up "low power" threads here

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi

Unplug the maf and see if there's any difference, it should be better or worse.

If you have an agr one lying about I'd try it, same diameter pipe work, same age etc so is most likely the same.

I wouldn't throw money at it though without finding something worth throwing money at

Golf2000

TDI
Golf 4 PD AJM
Both AFMs were bad, from the spare car and original. I ordered a new one and disconnected the battery for a bit and turbo is working again. Still don't understand how the manifold coming loose and the AFM breaking happened at the same time though.