Fix injection pump seals with additives

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
My injection pump seals are leaking.

Question: Has anyone here ever done that fix where you add Automatic Transmission Fluid AND Biodiesel to your fuel tank and run the engine on them, in so doing, put these fluids thru your high pressure leaky injection pump??
Sorta like Fix-A-Flat for tires, these additives plug leaks by reconditioning the injection pump seals...
The ATF and B85 - B100 supposedly container seal reconditioners which moisturize the pump seals which have dried out rubber due to this newfangled Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
New seals aren't all that expensive.

All except the lower timing cover facing the engine can be replaced in situ but the distributor head o-ring requires that the pump sprocket be positioned so that the cam plate is at maximum pressure. You will want to read about this before undertaking in order to not screw it up. Even the driveshaft seal can be done without removing the pump, it does require TB and sprocket removal but still doesn't upset pump mounting.

Really, there's no good permanent solution with additives.

Steve

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the new seal kit, I just hate to risk messing up the injection pump by possibly losing a spring or other little part down inside the pump housing, or physically messing up the mechanically determined quantity and timing of the pieces which need to return to within a tenth of a millimeter or else the car won’t start!
I depend on my jetta running steady too much to risk knocking it off the road due to clumsiness while first time doing the injection pumps seals...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have the new seal kit, I just hate to risk messing up the injection pump by possibly losing a spring or other little part down inside the pump housing, or physically messing up the mechanically determined quantity and timing of the pieces which need to return to within a tenth of a millimeter or else the car won’t start!
I depend on my jetta running steady too much to risk knocking it off the road due to clumsiness while first time doing the injection pumps seals...
Additives are not long-term solutions, eventually the leak will come back even worse when the original failing seal really cuts loose.

The first thing is determining what seals are actually leaking and repairing each one in turn. with the top cover seal and the driveshaft seal will require timing work, which really does require VAG-com, especially with the QA stuff.

The only way you would lose some springs or something is if you screwed up the distributor head o-ring by not following the instructions to the letter. If you tend to not follow instructions I will tell you now to subcontract to a shop capable of doing the work.

A friend of mine had a similar issue on a Mk1 diesel and I told him exactly what he needed to do to replace the distributor head seal and he didn't listen and he screwed the pooch on it and then dragged me into the mess to try and fix what was arguably a pump already pretty trashed by WVO. I still won't talk to him about it...

This is one of those things that you can't avoid with some quick fix additive unless you want to continue to leak diesel fuel and get progressively more leaky as time goes by.

Better to fix it and do it right now versus later on when it's cold out and really no fun. That also counts for fixing it twice....

Around here you will typically only get answers that are the best practice solutions, you get very few answers that rely on corner cutting or 'hacks' which I guess is the new lingo for repairs of some sort.

Steve

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
It should be mentioned that the fuel is likely eating the coolant hoses below the pump head so you should not delay. Maybe plan on changing those hoses anyway if it's been leaking long.

To get the QA back in the correct spot you can CLEAN the the area around the joint WELL and put blobs of epoxy on each side of the joint in four places and bridge the gap with a small thread of the stuff. Last one I did didn't require adjustment of the IQ. The thin thread assures the epoxy breaks rather than pulls off and gives you better resolution when lining it back up.

In the spirit of "best practices" I'll say I think it's nuts doing it in place, especially on a car that sees winter salt. The chamfer on the bore the pump head fits into is dirty and corroded. Not a good surface to push the new seal across even if you could flush the dirt away.

I know lotsa people have done it but I wouldn't.

If you remove the pump you'll have easy access to the hoses that probably need changing and the timing belt can be done at the same time.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
bottom line
you can not fix a mechanical problem with a chemical solution.
Order new seals, its not a hard job, maybe 3 hours total and costs $less than $20 shipped for everything you need. You only need like 5 tools. Dont mess with that crappy special tool on the triangle shaped nut, use a small cheep socket and tap it on with a hammer, gently. works every time.
make sure scribe markings on things so that there exactly where they were before you started. no VCDS needed. and its not hard to hammer mod in the blind.

/thread

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
It should be mentioned that the fuel is likely eating the coolant hoses below the pump head so you should not delay. Maybe plan on changing those hoses anyway if it's been leaking long.
I second this. It really doesn't take long before the coolant hoses are mushy and leaking.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Dont mess with that crappy special tool on the triangle shaped nut, use a small cheep socket and tap it on with a hammer, gently. works every time.
If a tool that fits and is made for the job is crappy, what do you call a socket that's banged into shape on the pump?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I did it to my B4 a few years ago, I had to get by a few months until I took it to someone for a timing belt change, and the person could do the seals at the same time. You can add ATF, and it should seal, but if it doesn't work, then I suggest getting car to someone who can do the job for you,especially if you don't have the tools. To combat the fuel getting on the hoses, I made a little "diverter" piece out of some plastic(poly) to place over the hoses . I also cleaned them off with degreaser ,and the hoses were still on the car 2 years later when it got totaled.....

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
To combat the fuel getting on the hoses, I made a little "diverter" piece out of some plastic(poly) to place over the hoses . I also cleaned them off with degreaser ,and the hoses were still on the car 2 years later when it got totaled.....
This “diverter” that works for a few months is something I must make and install because getting the Jetta to someone to help install the new pump seals is temporarily next to impossible.
Could you describe your parts used, and method of construction, in a little more detail, or possibly draw a sketch if it’d be better for you.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I thought I had more pictures, but I do remember it being pretty ingenious and it worked well. The only partial picture I could find is here, and the diverter is on top of the serpentine belt tensioner spring.

When he drove the car out to me, the pump was not leaking and I think he used ATF to seal it temporarily (refresh my memory, Bob). I have seen it used before with good results, but then the pump leaks even more in short order. I resealed one that had used ATF to swell the seals and the fuel was running out of the pump and not dripping. I couldn't believe it even ran.

I resealed the pump but the case pressure valve broke my wrench and I was unable to get it out. It eventually went to TDIDaveNH's shop in New Hampshire one night after a HO5G GTG and we worked on it until 2AM, where we did get it changed out with a spare and the pump re-timed. I was sorry to see the car totalled.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
a quart of ATF is about the cost of a new seal it.
Why do people demand to spend more money on a problem that is easily fixable with common tools is beyond me

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If a tool that fits and is made for the job is crappy, what do you call a socket that's banged into shape on the pump?
because the tool easily strips out the head of the tool, this is because it must be made of softer material than the bolt.

its a crappy tool if it fails to work right out of the box and a cheep $0.95 socket does the job over a $35 specialty tool.

Also i replaced that bolt long time ago too. its just a common thread size. i forget what size though. got it at lowes.

and to boot, after doing this "socket bashing" 12 times before i replaced the bolt, the socket was not damaged at all, still works fine.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wow. I can't comment on the quality of the available tool.

I ground a six point socket.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yeah Mark, I was upset it was totaled-it'll be 3 years in a few weeks(10/24). From what I remember, after I met you when you picked up Windex's wagon and looked at pump ( I think it was slightly damp then), a few weeks later it started dripping pretty bad and I figured after reading ATF would be my best shot to hold me over, and I lucked out and it did work quite well for me until I drove to Mark's(about 2 months later) -I can't remember if that was Sept. 2013 or Sept 2014, I think I wrote about it in the B4 thread. As far as the diverter goes, I used a thicker piece of poly ( the kind they use to make 3 ring binders) , and just cut a small piece off and wedged it underneath the pump, above the 3 way hose. Can't remember if I cut a notch or two in it or not, it was nothing complicated.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wow. I can't comment on the quality of the available tool.

I ground a six point socket.
Have done the same thing, I made assorted specialty tools out of junk and or cheap sockets etc.

I created a case pressure socket that works great. I rounded three sides of a 24mm socket and now it fits great on the distributor head fitting. Also ground down a 13mm socket to fit the side case triangle bolts.

Dremel cutting wheels and small grinding stones do wonders.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
a quart of ATF is about the cost of a new seal it.
Why do people demand to spend more money on a problem that is easily fixable with common tools is beyond me
Because it's a temporary fix that at best will last a few months, whereas the seal kit will last 10 years.

And if someone plans on doing TDI work even a few times, the good tools are worth the money. Bob's IP was so frozen we snapped tools trying to fix it.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
I’d be glad to drive this Jetts TDI to the next meetup, and bring my seal kit, and then make a video where you experienced guys (and gals if any?) could show how it’s done so I don’t bugger it beyond repair trying to learn chancing it doing it the first time on this mission critical, rare, easily damaged “Heart of the Diesel engine” injection pump.

When and Where’s the next TDI Club meetup ??

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Additives can have some benefit. Being 1/2 Irish I top off my cooling system with a nice single malt scotch and then drink a toast to a job well done. The cooling system may still leak, but the car is happy and I'm oblivious to the concept that coolant leaks are something to be concerned about. :cool:

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Additives can have some benefit. Being 1/2 Irish I top off my cooling system with a nice single malt scotch and then drink a toast to a job well done. The cooling system may still leak, but the car is happy and I'm oblivious to the concept that coolant leaks are something to be concerned about. :cool:
Love your thinking...May have to adapt this. :rolleyes:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Speaking of coolant leaks,
Name:
1. the coolant system Stop Leak products, and
2. the Engine Oil Stop Leak products,
which....
a. actually stop the leaking, and
b. are non damaging to the coolant pathway and oil pathway ?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
To beat a dead horse, reseal it. If you have the timing belt tools, pull the pump for simple piece of mind and ease of installation. Btw, if memory is correct, the torque for the QA housing bolts is the same for the [pump] head bolts, 7 ft*lbs.

Maybe it’s just me, but the grade of bolts they use on the pump head is annoying because they can strip easily. Think they are Class 8.8. I replaced them with SHCS, Class 12.9 boots so when the pump is heat cycled over the next decade, the steel doesn’t soften and strip. They are somewhere between 45 & 55 mm in length, though I’m sorry for not remembering specifically. I can check when I get home, if you wish.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Name:
which....
This is easy.....FIX THE PROBLEM.....:eek:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Name:
which....
anyone who uses these products does not deserve to have a car for very long.