2002 AHL P0228 code

tmoore237

TDI
2002 jetta
how is it going, yesterday as I was driving my car the dash all the lights and radio shut off. I pulled over and the car was still running to I kept driving and then everything worked again.(has air bag light on now)

later in the day I got home and I shut the car off and 10min later I went start it and it was dead, I jumped it today and it started then the glow plug light was flashing (everylight was on the dash also) as I drove out of the drive way the car shut off and I had to jump it to get it going again

the code I pulled was P0228 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR.. any help would be great

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hmm, what are you using to read that code on your 2002 TDI? It's not in the Ross Tech wiki, which I thought was pretty complete for the VE models.
Could it be this one?
Otherwise sounds like a battery or charging issue.

tmoore237

TDI
2002 jetta
its not a ross tech,just a hand held and I was thinking alternator also but last time it did this the whole car went dead not just the dash and radio that's why I was thinking the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can't see what the 2 have in common. Maybe re-seat the fuses and relays involved.
Low voltage will cause inconsistent issues, I'd clean the battery, top off the electrolytes and give it a good long trickle charge.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
If it were actually the TPS, it should default to an elevated idle setting and your 'go' pedal would be non-responsive. P0228 is defined as "Throttle Pos. Sensor -C- Circuit High Input". While uncommon, they do go bad on occasion. In your case, however, symptoms don't match the code. Here's some info on how to check.

TDI
2003 jett (ALH) 2006 jetta (BRM)
P0228 throttle position sensor High c

Engine wants to accelerate to destruction unless I use the engine to retard it or turn it off. Your diagram was perfect for testing voltages across the pins 1 to 6.
Is pin 6 ground?

edillett

TDI
2002 ALH mk4
Bringing this back from the dead, but just a question on these throttle position sensors. I had a runaway engine on my ALH which is a different story for another time. I was wondering if a runaway can cause a throttle position sensor to go bad? After getting the engine up and running again the pedal worked for a few driving test runs. After leaving the car sit for a while, I went to jump start it and now it idles at 1500rpm and I'm not able to use the throttle. VAGCOM says its the P0228 code.

thoughts?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Can't think of any way these two things would be related, other than perhaps the violent shaking in the engine compartment as the engine was running way vibrated the ECU or TPS connector loose. Not uncommon for water to leak in at either location if the connector(s) are not tight.

Most likely unrelated, IMHO. :)

edillett

TDI
2002 ALH mk4
Ok thanks for the response! Could it be possible to fry an ECU when trying to start the car on a battery charger if I set the amps to 40? trying to diagnose this issue.

Codes VAGCOM is showing
MAF sensor low voltage
accelerator position switch voltage to high
ABS code

after clearing them, they pop right back up again.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Highly unlikely in and of itself. "40 amps" refers to the maximum current the charger will deliver while attempting to charge the battery, but it's still just delivering the 14 volts the ECU is expecting. And, the ECU is engineered to protect itself from current and voltage spikes.

The accelerator switch code matches your symptoms, and it sounds like you've a MAF sensor or wiring issue and an ABS issue (the code should tell you exactly where the issue is, in terms of speed sensor at XXX wheel etc.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Ok thanks for the response! Could it be possible to fry an ECU when trying to start the car on a battery charger if I set the amps to 40? trying to diagnose this issue.

Did you get the clamps on backwards at first?

edillett

TDI
2002 ALH mk4
Ok, makes sense. And no I had the clamps hooked up properly. I have heard that can cause damage.

Just to run through what I have done so far if you're into diagnosing this thing with me.
1. P0102-Replaced the MAF sensor and the same code came up after clearing the codes
2. After clearing the P0228 code with the pedal unplugged the code popped up again. I plugged my pedal back in and could hear the idle go up and then back down after unplugging it. Tried a pedal that I know works and it didn't solve the issue.
3. P0571 brake switch. I replaced all the vacuum lines since my brakes were rock hard. I don't think I have any leaks in the system anymore. Bought a new brake booster to see if that fixes it. Not sure if this would cause the P0571 code though?

Could burnt out fuses cause any of these? That was going to be my next look. Was also just going to pull the ECU out and see if it has any visual failures on it.

One thing I should probably mention, turbo blew up which is the reason for the runaway. I put a turbo in from a 2.0 tdi. After replacment, could never get it to build boost. Could have been driving it in limp mode the few test runs I took it out on. Idled great though, but just a bit confused as to why these issues would pop up now after test driving it a couple times.

edillett

TDI
2002 ALH mk4
Thanks for the reply wonneber.
I’m currently running through the wiring harness to check for bad grounding. I think somthing funky is going on with it. I checked resistance with the ground pins on the ECU plugs. 4 out of 5 pins were reading around 300. Had one post that looked like it was bad under the battery box. Any idea what is grounded to this point?