What did you do to your MKIV today?

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
That vacuum line between the vac pump and booster very often cracks. The plastic upside down "V" tube...it cracks on either end, or in the middle, or both. On the two 03 TDI's I've purchased, this vacuum line was wrapped in black tape to hide the cracks;).

Removing it is simple...remove the clamp on the rubber end on the vac pump nipple, or pull the other end out of the booster housing. This line is about $50 bucks new.

Also check the nipple on the vacuum pump...they get loose after a while and leak. If yours is loose, it's not supposed to be;). There's a few threads around on how to tighten it up.

Thank you! This part is something that Roseland doesn't sell! They've got everything else.

I'm not even touching it until I have replacement parts in hand.... looks like something wrapped around the plastic part. :(

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
nice. Thanks again.

Everything I change has made an improvement and one step closer to working right. A quick test drive just now and I can get the RPMs higher than before but can still only pull 3300 RPM in 4th. It hasn't rev'd that high before in 4th.... just fell on it's face and stayed around 2500 max. It should be able to hit redline in 4th, correct?

I have not changed the fuel filter yet. And have lots of vacuum lines to replace.

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2001 Golf in pieces
^ Have you cleaned the intake manifold out? If I understand it right the severe restriction will limit performance in a couple ways, conceivably the PCM could limit turbo boost as the MAP reads high but only so much air actually makes it to the cylinders

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
^ Have you cleaned the intake manifold out? If I understand it right the severe restriction will limit performance in a couple ways, conceivably the PCM could limit turbo boost as the MAP reads high but only so much air actually makes it to the cylinders

I'm trying to avoid that job. :D

When I had a look around the engine when I bought it, I noticed a lot of new bolts around the egr and intake. I'm ~assuming~ work was done in that area before I bought it but can't say for sure. They threw a lot of new parts at it. I'll clean the intake if I can't get it right otherwise.

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2001 Golf in pieces
I'm trying to avoid that job. :D

When I had a look around the engine when I bought it, I noticed a lot of new bolts around the egr and intake. I'm ~assuming~ work was done in that area before I bought it but can't say for sure. They threw a lot of new parts at it. I'll clean the intake if I can't get it right otherwise.
Weeell easiest way to check would be to pop off the hose from the intercooler to the EGR valve and take a looksee. Mirror or smart phone to take a photo does the job

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Weeell easiest way to check would be to pop off the hose from the intercooler to the EGR valve and take a looksee. Mirror or smart phone to take a photo does the job
It's OK to check for build-up that way, but don't touch it for any reason unless you remove the EGR valve and intake manifold from the engine.

Rem

vk_bigTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDi
Went do do some mudding on my lifted jetta.. With my brother on his STI... Both had lots of fun.. But only I end up spending $46 :(

While jumping/playin in the mud.. I guess I hit something, ands week later I noticed my car making knocks on the engine.. Immediately checked for oil.. It was on LOW... I started thinking what could happened.. Then notice oil drops on a wrong side..
It was dripping for a week out of my Intercooler (front passenger side)
I guess it happened that while bouncing in the mud, charge hose got unclippedc and I was loosing oil through there..

Did an oil change on my 8000 mile.. Replaced filter cram around the block and all got LUNBED and back to normal.
Good I noticed it before engine froze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vk_bigTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDi
Other then that did few things.

• installed rear safety distance laser line
• extra set on tails
• finished home made roof rack (still need to pair it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pl4life52

TDI
2002 Golf ALH
Welded in a new flex pipe.

Started shaving the antenna and the rear hatch. Going to smooth everything out next weekend.

Antenna on the inside:

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
new floor mats for my '02 Wagon and cleaned 14 years of thick sludge off my steering wheel which now feels like it's brand new!

FATCAT

Veteran Member
What did I do on my MKIV? Well, i went underneath it to look at a steering rack leak on the passenger side to assess the situation.

Another problem! This is getting old!

Nothing like lying under the car on a snow/ice covered driveway in the mid 20's trying to decide if this is a job i can do.

I think it is time to put it up for sale. At 360,000 miles it has been a great car (engine and tranny are bullet proof), but the "every other month its something" think is getting old and when it comes to the winter it is nearly impossible to do anything other than oil changes.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
What did you use on the steering wheel?
Nice weather techs!
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just a bar of soap works and a bucket of water along with this nail brush. This is the one I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006OU07I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Also added a rear cargo weathertech liner. And if you are ever in SF you need to absolutely have to get a pie from Chile Pie (Pear Caramel is the best one), pork buns from Clement St and pastries from b. patisserie.

pl4life52

TDI
2002 Golf ALH
mmm that pie.

Mats looks awesome and im definitely doing that to my steering wheel.
Every time I use a leather cleaner and do the steering wheel i end up using like 5 bounty pieces and its still dirty... I start to think im just rubbing off the color lol

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
And the following were ordered and I'm getting ready to have them installed sometime in February.

VW MK4 Wagon Bilstein HD Suspension Kit ('99.5-04)
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1490

VW SACHS VR6 TDI Specific (Silent) Clutch & Flywheel Kit '96-06
21 lb Balanced Flywheel +$21
Transmission Stretch Bolt +$22
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=286{3}50{4}6

VW MK4 Suspension Rebuild Install kit (Complete Overhaul AUDI TT
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=200{34}2

Last edited:

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
In nearly a repeat of last weekend's fun: today, I swapped my tandem pump from the old NHTSA recalled LUK with a yellow paint dot to a brand new Bosch pump. (because last weekend's fun replacing the gasket behind my tandem pump didn't fix the fuel leak).

I'm getting better at draining the coolant. I found an old 1.5 gallon fuel can with a flexible filler snout works well to collect coolant straight out of the radiator drain. (Yes, I used soap and water to wash out and rinse the fuel can first...)

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Today.....Un-froze my driver side doors....

Tomorrow is a big day. Dropping it off at the body shop on the way to work for waranty fender/tailgate/qtr panel work....

pl4life52

TDI
2002 Golf ALH
In nearly a repeat of last weekend's fun: today, I swapped my tandem pump from the old NHTSA recalled LUK with a yellow paint dot to a brand new Bosch pump. (because last weekend's fun replacing the gasket behind my tandem pump didn't fix the fuel leak).

I'm getting better at draining the coolant. I found an old 1.5 gallon fuel can with a flexible filler snout works well to collect coolant straight out of the radiator drain. (Yes, I used soap and water to wash out and rinse the fuel can first...)

Ive used clear vinyl tubing to it over the end of the drain to make things a little less messy

pl4life52

TDI
2002 Golf ALH
And the following were ordered and I'm getting ready to have them installed sometime in February.

VW MK4 Wagon Bilstein HD Suspension Kit ('99.5-04)
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1490

VW SACHS VR6 TDI Specific (Silent) Clutch & Flywheel Kit '96-06
21 lb Balanced Flywheel +$21
Transmission Stretch Bolt +$22
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=286{3}50{4}6

VW MK4 Suspension Rebuild Install kit (Complete Overhaul AUDI TT
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=200{34}2

sheesh you paid those prices? ill let the first two slide, but 225 bucks for a rebuild kit is insane. You gotta alot of money my friend

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (totaled parts car) 2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Hey guys first post, iv been a member for awhile now just haven't posted anything. I have a 2002 Jetta and I just did a steering rack replacement and took it to the shop today to get some new shoes and an alignment. Cars been down for 2 weeks while I was getting my parts for the rack replacement. Glad to finally be getting her back on the road and not having to put miles on my other mistress.