2010 Jetta - DPF Excessive Soot Acumulation

hntwhitetail

TDI
It's under adaptation and one of the channels.... can't recall exactly right now.... I'll have to dig into my records.....

Why do you want to know? There's a good chance that you can start your car on fire and/or damage components by doing what I did and "tricking" the system to regen under conditions that aren't safe.......

I don't want to get blamed for people burning down their cars :D
I was wondering if you could pm me or let me know how you accomplished this. I am having the same issue. Thanks

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I was wondering if you could pm me or let me know how you accomplished this. I am having the same issue. Thanks
Can you provide some more details regarding what you've done or what has happened to make to reach this point?

hntwhitetail

TDI
Can you provide some more details regarding what you've done or what has happened to make to reach this point?
I've tried doing the hard regen as the manual states. I also hooked my car up to the VCDS, after getting in touch with someone on here and am getting 50.1 and I think the other number was 11.3 and would never regenerate after following the instructions. We tried both a standing regen and then a driving regen. I apologize for the late response, I have been out of town.

Thanks

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've tried doing the hard regen as the manual states. I also hooked my car up to the VCDS, after getting in touch with someone on here and am getting 50.1 and I think the other number was 11.3 and would never regenerate after following the instructions. We tried both a standing regen and then a driving regen. I apologize for the late response, I have been out of town.

Thanks
The system is in a "fail safe mode" and it will not allow a regen once you're past the 45g value so that you don't burn the car down!

What caused your value to climb this high? (your regens have stopped, lights have gone on, and DPF has been clogged) Have those "triggers" been dealt with?

hntwhitetail

TDI
The system is in a "fail safe mode" and it will not allow a regen once you're past the 45g value so that you don't burn the car down!

What caused your value to climb this high? (your regens have stopped, lights have gone on, and DPF has been clogged) Have those "triggers" been dealt with?
Here is what happened for my lights to come on:

I have 2 codes that are continuously coming on with my 2010 Jetta TDI. I am getting 2 codes that are the same for p2463 and 2 codes for p2458. When I erase the codes, 1 p2463 always stays.

I have did some searching and am in need of some help. The DPF light stays on, the glow plug light flashes, and the check engine light is on.

A little background. About 3 weeks ago when we were having 0 to 10degree weather I ran over some ice / accumulated snow and it ripped 2 wires out of a connector and this put the the car's check engine light on along w/ the flashing glow plug light and gave me the code about the exhaust temperature sensor. About a week later, before I could get the new connector and get a chance to work on the Jetta, the DPF light came on. It would stay on and then the next time I started the car, it would go off. It was staying on all the time the next few days before I got a chance to fixe the wires to the exhaust temperature sensor (orange connector). So I fix those wires and now I am getting these 2 codes. While searching on here, I have driven the car from 3k rpmp to 3.2k rpm on my 40min commute to work each day. I changed the oil last night, and I am thinking the previous owner did not use the 507 00, it looked real dirty / sooty so I changed filter / oil w/ the MObil 1 ESP 5w-30. The lights are still on, I can erase the codes w/ my little handheld scanner while driving, but the one p2463 always stays.

I was wondering if there is anything else to try? If I locate someone around the central Ohio area, would a VCDS beable to see what was going on?

Thanks for any information. I like the car, still getting 42-44mpg.

Here is info from that thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=409854

I'm just trying to see how you got yours to be able to burn off / reset. It appears your limits were just like mine about the 45g value. I know the chances of the car burning down, but it looks like it has worked for you and was hoping I could get your steps to get this shook out. The car is a great driver, I just have these lights that keep flashing. Thanks in advance.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
pretty sure the P2463 is DPF soot

VCDS could tell you what is up. and if it is not to late, Start a regen.

if you do not have a VCDS, how do you know you are over 45grams of soot? does the P2463 code include a value?

hntwhitetail

TDI
I met a fellow member on this forum who has a VCDS.

Here is some information that he posted in this link:

So we were able to get together last night..

His measuring block 241.2 was over 50 (50.1 I think when he left) and his 241.3 was at 11.7 or so when he left..

tried the regeneration while standing first, but could not get that to do anything and it kept throwing error messages,

set him up on a regeneration while driving, and while the EGT sensors in Measuring blocks 99.1,99.2 & 99.3 were reading above the specs 200, 150, 150 while he was driving, they never got super high like I would expect them to during a regen.(I wasnt in the car but he never noticed anything much over 200-250*) and his soot load didnt go down.

I am afraid that he needs a new downpipe/DPF but am not sure.

he is willing to make the car off road only, but I am not familiar enough with them to know what all is involved.

Discuss :)

Thanks in advance for anymore help

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI

he is willing to make the car off road only, but I am not familiar enough with them to know what all is involved.

The DPF is clogged beyond a point where a "safe" regeneration is possible. The safe option is to remove and clean/replace it, or make the car OFF ROAD only, etc.

I can tell you how to trick the system with VCDS as I did, but there is a very good chance that you will damage other things or potentially start the car on fire.

If you are willing to take those risks, I cannot be held responsible for whatever happens.

It's impossible to know how "clogged" your DPF is.... we have no way of knowing or controlling how HOT the contents will burn, or for what length of time. If you read in my earlier posts in this thread, my "forced" regen was sustained for a very long time, at very high temperatures.

Last edited:

hntwhitetail

TDI
The DPF is clogged beyond a point where a "safe" regeneration is possible. The safe option is to remove and clean/replace it, or make the car OFF ROAD only, etc.

I can tell you how to trick the system with VCDS as I did, but there is a very good chance that you will damage other things or potentially start the car on fire.

If you are willing to take those risks, I cannot be held responsible for whatever happens.

It's impossible to know how "clogged" your DPF is.... we have no way of knowing or controlling how HOT the contents will burn, or for what length of time. If you read in my earlier posts in this thread, my "forced" regen was sustained for a very long time, at very high temperatures.
I understand the repurcussions of forcing a regen. That is the risk I'm willing to take. Just trying to get this shook out.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I met a fellow member on this forum who has a VCDS.

Here is some information that he posted in this link:

So we were able to get together last night..

His measuring block 241.2 was over 50 (50.1 I think when he left) and his 241.3 was at 11.7 or so when he left..

tried the regeneration while standing first, but could not get that to do anything and it kept throwing error messages,

set him up on a regeneration while driving, and while the EGT sensors in Measuring blocks 99.1,99.2 & 99.3 were reading above the specs 200, 150, 150 while he was driving, they never got super high like I would expect them to during a regen.(I wasnt in the car but he never noticed anything much over 200-250*) and his soot load didnt go down.

What were the error messages?

hntwhitetail

TDI
It would not let him regen it while standing still. I am hoping that i can get some info so a forced regen can take place. I am willing to take the chances. I do not do much stop and go. I am either cruising @ 62 or 77mph.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
cruising won't get any heat into the dpf. WOT/ hard acceleration will tho, and you might just get enough passive regen in this state to improve matters.

Repeated hard 3rd or 4th gear pulls as well as occasional constant 3-4k steady state, would be worth a try for an hour on the highway.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You'd burn your brakes out trying to get enough heat into the DPF without climbing up a mountain or doing an active regen.

Unless you can do a long hill climb, I think you're only going to make matters worse.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i thought you just needed to drive 15 min at 3K rpm in order to activate a passive regen?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you fix and/or replaced all the faulty sensors/wiring?
If you have cleared all other errors, and all you have is the soot buildup you can "trick" the system and hope for the best.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI

hntwhitetail

TDI
Have you fix and/or replaced all the faulty sensors/wiring?
If you have cleared all other errors, and all you have is the soot buildup you can "trick" the system and hope for the best.
Thanks for replying back. I've fixed the wires and there are no other codes except the codes about the DPF. I think I am needing some more "hints" about tricking the system w/ the VCDS to get the regen started @ my risk.

jessemoc

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen (man. trans.), 2010 Jetta Sportwagen (auto trans.)
Could you share the "hint"? :) I've got a 2010 JSW TDI...let a bad throttle valve stay in too long and wasn't able to do regeneration. I'm at 50.1 calculated soot load (seems like it's the max) though I haven't been at it very long...I understand the risks!

Luncan

TDI
2,0tdi
Same here let at bad throttle stay in to long. I´m at 48,2 soot load. Is it possible that you can share the "hint"... I understand the risks

JonFavTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I am also trying to reset the ECU for Soot Accumulation due to losing my alternator and driving the battery down, threw all kinds of lights on the dash including the DPF, check engine and blinking glow plug coil. (plus many others) Reading is 50.1 for soot accumulation, need to clear for my emission sticker. Hoping to reset this weekend. Thanks.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do this at your own risk and don't blame me for anything that happens LOL

You need to go under adaptation and channel 11 or 13... I can't recall exactly. You will be able to enter a 0 or a 1 in one of those in order to zero out all the values.... just so you know, they will not "accumulate" any longer after this... at least mine never have since..... my stored ash is staying at zero indefinitely so I will never know when I'm getting close to full capacity.

After you zero them out, you will need to trigger an emergency regen and hope for the best.... make sure you have insurance or take a fire extinguisher with you.... I did LOL

Good luck and let me know if you get it to regen.

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
About how many miles did it take before you got a number? I've been at 0 for quite some time since I had a new DPF installed. I reset it because the dealer did not reset the values, but knew you hadn't seen any numbers at the time. It'd be great if eventually mine did as well.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm actually trying to backtrack and determine that now.... I've driven about 32000-35000 kms since I reset mine..... but last time I checked it (and it was still at zero) I was about 15000 kms ago.......

That being said, I have as of the last few months relocated and my driving patterns and conditions have changed, so I am seeing a lot more regens compared to my previous drives....

So it all comes down to what kind of driving you do.... if you deal with a lot of short drivers, stop and go, traffic jams, etc, I would suspect that you should see something register after as little as 2k worth of milage....... but if you do a lot of long drives at high speeds, you might not see anything for 15-20k.....

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
That a lot more than I thought you were going to say, which means mine may do the same thing. I've only driven about 7000 miles (~11,000kms) since my change. I check it every once in a while, usually if I'm in VCDS for another reason like a fuel filter change. Last time I checked it was still zero but that still would've been at considerably less mileage than it took yours it seems.

My trips aren't what I'd call long, but it's very flat here so the car doesn't get worked very hard unless I run it hard intentionally. I make a point of getting out on the highway to get some passive regens in, and every once in a while it does an active regen, but not what I'd call often.