DIY: rear air shocks, 02 Jetta(ghetto mod)

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
The old shocks were wore out and looked original but not sure, no rebound to speak of and the right was worse than the left so I needed some replacements anyway.
Cost: <$100.00,
Time to remove lower T brace: <20 mins,
Set up new shocks: 2 hours,
Time to install: @ 2 hours.
Shock info: Monroe air shocks(2), # MA822,
Air line kit info: AK29, (adapts air to non-air suspension). Includes shock to air line fitting, air line, fill valve.
Shocks come standard on these cars that are equipped with Air-Ride Suspension, as well as others:
01 Park Avenue,
05 Buick LeSabre,
95 OLDS AURORA,
00-05 Cadillac Deville.
Many thanks goes to Danarm for making this post:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...ostcount=12267
and answering my questions.
Orileys had all the parts, in stock, less than $100.00.

Shocks:

Air line kit with correct line to shock connector, if it doesn't come with it, mine didn't:

Air connection:

Part needing removal, lower T bracket:

Before mounting new shock, prepare lower end by cutting/removing one side of bracket, cut piece of pipe, flatten enough for bracket to slide in, use small socket in vise to push bracket out:

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
Removed:

_________
Reinstall original rubber if it came out, cut/buy sleeve, use grease/vise to aid install:

Use all-thread (and double nut) for the bolt if original is not able to slide through sleeve or use smaller diameter bolt:

Remove old shock, 16mm diameter,top and bottom:

Holding rod in vise, remove nut on upper mount:

Remove upper mount/dust boot. Only upper mount will be reused:

Pipe spacer, to raise shock rod to upper mount, used some pieces of hardware that came with shocks and some washers:

re-install upper mount, pipe spacer and the rest of the parts then tighten top nut enough to just have movement in the mount. do not over tighten.
install the shocks, run air line to lower bumper(there is a hole that is the perfect size to mount the schrader valve), keeping it away from ant sharp bends or body panels. zip tie loose line, fill with air and enjoy.
thinking about putting some in the front and airing up when i hit some rough roads. with a manifold, dump valve, i will be able to air up from the cab and control front/back levels. will see.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Great install... Tnx for documenting and sharing... How do you like them?

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
i leave them at 40# all the time now. mpg has picked up. handling improved. no sag when the trunk is full of junk now. big improvement.

Tintman718

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf (5-spd), '10 Golf (6-spd), '12 Touareg
First of of all, you did an excellent job of piecing together a budget air suspension. Are you aware of the air-suspension forums at vwvortex? You could find it here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?1055-Air-Suspension There's a ton of info there in case you need help with setting up your system. Although, that forum is more about looks then practicality. What I love about what you did is just how CHEAP it is. I paid over $1400 for my air struts from Airlift.com.
Could you post pics showing ride-height at different pressures? It would be nice to know what the suspension travel is.
Pipe spacer, to raise shock rod to upper mount, used some pieces of hardware that came with shocks and some washers:
Instead of adding that spacer, I would consider cutting some threads on the rod with a die. This would lower your overall ride-height.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
First of of all, you did an excellent job of piecing together a budget air suspension. Are you aware of the air-suspension forums at vwvortex? You could find it here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?1055-Air-Suspension There's a ton of info there in case you need help with setting up your system. Although, that forum is more about looks then practicality. What I love about what you did is just how CHEAP it is. I paid over $1400 for my air struts from Airlift.com.
Could you post pics showing ride-height at different pressures? It would be nice to know what the suspension travel is.
Instead of adding that spacer, I would consider cutting some threads on the rod with a die. This would lower your overall ride-height.
thank you. i would have never attempted this if not for Danarm.
i will get it to 25#, lowest recommended psi, and see how ride height is. if it is still taller than oem, i can cut/tap the threads.
i will try to get pics at diff psi's later, raining pretty good right now.
i belong to the tex but there is so much ragging between the youngsters, i try to stay away but will read some of your link.

Last edited:

Tintman718

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf (5-spd), '10 Golf (6-spd), '12 Touareg
How's the valving? I'm assuming it's soft since they're made for american bricks.

If you don't mind digging through that kiddy crap on the tex, you can find some very useful info.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
How's the valving? I'm assuming it's soft since they're made for american bricks.
If you don't mind digging through that kiddy crap on the tex, you can find some very useful info.
not harsh at all.
i looked at the first page and read a few. mostly bags, false floors, wanting pics of the same. i will look when i get more time.
would like to put some on the front, run 2 dump valves, one switch to dump rear, one to dump front, each independently, in the cab. think it would cost 150.00 more for the rest.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Definitely ghetto!
I'm thinking it would be wise to use good graded bolts for the lower mounts as allthread is notoriously soft and may let you 'down'.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
did some rethinking/measuring and found a better solution to some issues,
grade 5 bolts:

thicker sleeves:

full extension:

full compression:

OEM height above shock stop(where top mount rest), max length allowed :

another of the shock stop(this will be replaced by a jamb nut on the air shocks after the length is determined and the rod is threaded):

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
here's what i ended up doing,
removed the shock, installed the new bushings,
measured the space with the top mount installed and there just wasn't any way to thread any more of the rod. the mount needs to ride on this area:

ended cutting tubing:

press fit into mount:

this how it looks underneath(these shocks have the piston on the bottom instead of on the top like the OEM shocks, there is no need for the dust boot, that's why it looks diff):

on top:

it rides OEM height, the same as with the other spacer but will be a little stronger with this one due to where it rides on the mount.
i will get pics at diff pressures tomorrow when there is more light.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
here's the ride heights/pressures,
50#:

40#, not much diff:

25#:

now i just need to wash it.

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I might have to do this when I have the spare cash, excellent write up and pics!
thank you. less than 100.00 and a few hours well spent.
might as well forget about putting them on the front. piston rod is reversed, bottom section is too large to fit in the carrier. would of been nice to raise the front when i needed/wanted to though.

Last edited:

worldwide73

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GLS
Questions:

Where did you get the sleeves for the bottom mount and top mount and what sizes were they??

Do you think this rides/handles as good as setup with heavier springs and better shocks?

I just remember having air shocks before on another car, and not handling well, and then changing to heavy springs and heavy duty shocks made it a much better car.

I'm looking at towing a small trailer, and want the most practical setup, but also something that can be daily driven. I'm already lifting the front 1"

trj

TDI
MK4-ALH
What is the point of putting air shocks on a Jetta? Are they for carrying heavy loads in the trunk? I are the OEM replacement shocks that expensive? Are there other issues that should be considered? Thanks!

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
Questions:

Where did you get the sleeves for the bottom mount and top mount and what sizes were they??

Do you think this rides/handles as good as setup with heavier springs and better shocks?

I just remember having air shocks before on another car, and not handling well, and then changing to heavy springs and heavy duty shocks made it a much better car.

I'm looking at towing a small trailer, and want the most practical setup, but also something that can be daily driven. I'm already lifting the front 1"
if you have time, get the same place to order the sleeve/bushings. got shocks from orileys. i could have did that but i wanted to do it as cheap as i could. bring the bottom bolt in with you and make sure it fits the sleeve and use that one. pretty sure they are all the same. if you look at the OEM set-up, you can feel some slack in the sleeve/bolt and mine was a little tighter.
haven't driven a diff spring/shock car so have no idea. the ride is as smooth if not a little softer than stock so sport feel it is not. i have 15's on there so i need more than springs/shocks if i wanted a 'sport' feel.
when you changed shocks/springs on the other car, it handled better but what did you use the car for? mine is a daily driver driven 600 miles + a week. i like a soft ride. were you able to carry 6 bags of cement in the trunk and not bottom out?
how are you lifting the front? metalnerd or homemade? i will make a lift for the front soon but i won't be buying it.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the point of putting air shocks on a Jetta? Are they for carrying heavy loads in the trunk? I are the OEM replacement shocks that expensive? Are there other issues that should be considered? Thanks!
to carry loads in trunk or trailer, maintain ride height.

monroe starts at $33.10 ea, tops at $55.10 ea. bilstein starts at $62.10, tops at $113.10. there's others too:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2002/volkswagen/jetta/suspension/shock_absorber.html

depending on what brand you get, yes, they can that expensive, more or less, if you consider less than $100.00 expensive.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I have been following this, as well. Amazon has the best price on these, and they qualify for free shipping (or free two-day shipping with Prime Membership). In addition, if you buy replacements all around, Monroe is running a 4-for-3 rebate until the end of October. You could buy all for for about $100 and get a rebate. I am looking at the standard Monroe set for the front and then the MA822s for the rear.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
that is a good deal. i will be lifting the front also but not sure if i will use spacers. bought or make them myself.

Last edited:

Lavabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon 2003, Westfalia 73 Tdi
thank you, i just did that to my car and im really happy

one stock sach shocks was 115$ CAD, and ive found 2 monroe for 80$CAD on amazon
the air line kit wasnt include , i bought it at napa (ak29) for about 20$

so for about 100$ i have 2 new air shocks in the jetta wagon 2003

had to work to install larger bushing thought and also top mount i just cut a steel tubing and not yet press fit it yet into the shocks mount
real happy

trj

TDI
MK4-ALH
Non-air replacement?

Just wondering, could the originals be replaced with these shown by the OP with OUT the air provisions? I like the idea of the boot not being there to tear and become a problem and the piston being at the bottom. If not are there others that could be used as replacements? Got a part number or application that would be used?

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wondering, could the originals be replaced with these shown by the OP with OUT the air provisions? I like the idea of the boot not being there to tear and become a problem and the piston being at the bottom. If not are there others that could be used as replacements? Got a part number or application that would be used?
not at all sure what you're asking. all air shocks have a bladder. might be better for you to go hydraulic if you think it will tear. where do you drive that it would tear? horse trails?