GTG Chapin (central), SC August 30

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
A GTG will be held at DanG144's place near exit 91 of I-26 - about 20 miles NE of Columbia.

If you say you will be coming on this thread, I will PM you contact information and directions.

Sort of a spur-of-the-moment thing.
No vendors, no one bringing parts, (yet.)
No tuners are planned.
3 stalls inside (no AC in stall area.)
Air conditioned room that will seat about 20 at the shop.
2 places on concrete pad,
Air system, usual tools,
No metal working gear
Vag-Com, will try to have someone working it full time. Get your timing checked and adjusted if needed.
We should have food and drinks.
Open to suggestions

If you want to use a stall, bring a roll of paper shop towels, and we will need a few more fans.

1. K45 - front wheel bearing replacement, Fiance bringing VW cookies. (Kenny and Rebecca)
2. George, transmission fluid change? (NO SHOW)
3. Jim R. - intake manifold cleaning, logged runs, data collection. (JIM)
4. 2004PassatTDI - oil change. (ERNST)
5. mopower (Mark)
6. Local TDI with mopower. (Dave)
7. Bob Fout (BOB)
8. dieselfueler, trans fluid change, oil change, VAG_COM. (Robbie)
9. mrclean (Paul)

Last edited:

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You realize you planned this the same weekend as the 'FEST'? Your participation might be low because of this!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Planned might be too strong an adjective...

But yep, I knew of the Fest. This is a low key GTG. I am not concerned with attendance numbers one way or the other. All are welcome, but I will stay busy anyhow.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I am planing on being there. I think I need a log done, something still isn't right with my car. Hopefully installing a new lift pump this weekend will fix my problem...

Car seems to fall on its face about 3k rpm, and it really shouldn't with all the work I have done to the thing (see sig).

Can you PM me the exact address? That way I can get there with my fancy GPS.

Thanks!

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
I may be able to make it down, I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to Fest due to having to be in Knoxville the week of Sept 1 for work.

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
airwolf said:
Knoxville eh?
Yap, I'll be at the clerk offices that are in Knox County switching them from the County IT to the state provided internet connection and switching the program that I support over to work with the state connection.
I'll be staying in Strawberry Plains - but I won't be in the TDI I'll be in my company car :(. Along with some coworkers, since like hell I'm switching the entire county over bymself :D

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
I look forward to this. i hope these front bearings fix it and it is not the CVs. if we have time. i would like a look at what is causing my suspension to squeak even after all the mounts have been lubed. Thanks again Dan. let me know what you need me to bring.

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
If I can make it down (I'm hoping that I can) I'll bring my laptop, vagcom, Pela extractor, and Craftsman toolkit.

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
Just got my wheel bearing kits the other day. I think I am ready to go. I will also bring my intake cleaning tools

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Gtg

I have to back out. I am going to meet up with Farfromovin in W. Florida instead. It is a shorter drive and the car is acting up too much to trust it on a 400+ mile trip.

Wish me luck...:eek:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Kenny,
I have the harbor freight kit.
I picked up some tools from Piper109.
I have downloaded the VWVortex pictorial.
I have the Bentley.

I think we are all set for the front wheel bearing job.

DanG

piper109

Veteran Member
I responded about the clutch on the other thread. I forgot to mention that my wife drove her car for about a year with a slight throwout noise like you describe. Its a sort of whirring sound which changes tone a bit when you push the clutch in and out.

Eventually it become very loud and rattled. Thats when I replaced the whole clutch.

Steve

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
majesticj said:
Does anyone have tools to look at a probable clutch/flywheel problem?
Before I read DBW's thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=64235 I would have said, "yes I have everything but the engine hoist."

But now I would like to hear from Piper109 (Steve).

I would not recommend doing such a large job at a GTG. We might want to set aside a separate time for a job this large. 12 hours may be optimistic for the first time.

DanG

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'll be there, looking at lodging prices now. Please PM me directions and contact info (in case I get lost :D )

piper109

Veteran Member
Dan,
I too have the triple square tools. I do not have an engine hoist. I support the engine from underneath with at least 2 jacks and lower the tranny down with a third.

I use other methods to lock the flywheel that I may not recommend to others. An impact will work to loosen the bolts. I torque up the new bolts by locking the crank shaft from the other end with a big socket and breaker bar braced against the floor.
I never use a clutch centering tool....I have a good eye. They are cheap though.

The transmission is a pain to remove, lots of raising, lowering, twisting etc to clear body parts. I have only done it once but the NB may be tighter than other tdi's. Everything seems to be compounded on the beetle.

Removing the passenger side driveshaft is really tiresome as it will not retract far enough to disengage from the drive flange without disturbing the passenger side suspension. I removed a control arm bolt to get a bit more slack. Then you have to remove the drive flange on the gearbox so it clears the flywheel when the transmission is drawn back. Getting that baby back in when replacing aint fun !!

I bought a complete clutch kit with the recommended solid flywheel and the Sachs kit.
I would not recommend that anyone try it in a day. Working by myself it took 3 good evenings. Not a fun job. The wife's car is however as smooth as silk now.

Steve

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Steve,
Thats about what I figured. I have never done a VW, but quite a few others.
I too use alternative methods to lock the crank. Though that is the tool that looked most tempting to me.
I PMed majestic, I do not intend to try this on Saturday.

DanG