How-To: Flakey Turn Signal Clicking Fix.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I shot some of this in the gap between the turn signal stalk and the steering column with the straw supplied. Based on diagrams and pictures posted here of the contacts I had a feel for the right angle to spray in.
The first time I did this it worked for about 10 signal cycles then started acting up again. I did a re-spray with more the second time and cycled the stalk back and forth quite a few times.
This cleaner/lube appears to have some sort of white lithium grease mixed in so the contacts get lubed and cleaned at the same time I guess.
Anyway, after the second application the problem went away completely so I'll report back if it has the problem again!!:D;)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103700
This sounds like the right kind of product to use, and probably ought to be used as a prophylactic (preventive) measure instead of a remedial one.

redcaesarTDI

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have same issue. Glad I said no when the dealer quoted me $450 to fix it!

I will try the deoxIT electrtical cleaner. Hope it works this is a very annoying issue!

John C

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001 Glactic Blue Peral - SOLD
DeOxit has a shelf life posted on the can. My issue returned so this time I got the Radio Shack 'tuner cleaner and lubricant' and sprayed it thoroughly and moved the stalk up and down a number of times. When I first used the turn signal, I had a lot of residual clicking from the flasher (this is the new one as my original was changed out due to a recall I wasn't aware of when I had my brake light switch done).

A day later it's working fine. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

John C

scottd

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan 5spd, Platinum Gray
I have the same turn signal clicking issue after the turn signal clicked off. The car is 6 years old with 65K miles on it. After reading this and another thread I decided to just use a can of air to spray in the turn signal stalk. I'm sure this is a only a temporary fix, but I don't want to shell out $$ to fix it right now.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Update! Still no problems!!

Since I sprayed the tuner cleaner/lube in the turn signal contact area I've had no problems!!!
Just an update!!!:D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Since I sprayed the tuner cleaner/lube in the turn signal contact area I've had no problems!!!
Just an update!!!:D
That seems like the right product to use. I wish I'd known about it a few years ago. But I might get some and use it as a preventive measure, and maybe take it with me the next time I attend a GTG.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Tornado I agree. There are bound to be others with this problem you can help out.
Glad you had success r72gsaol.

TeeDeeRedEye

TDI
2002 Jetta
Couple of quick comments that I hope will be of value to fellow TDIers.
Removing the air bag from the steering wheel (at least the 4 spoke on the Jetta) is a MAJOR PAIN! This is an absolutely horrible VW design. It took me over an hour and damaged the back of the wheel trying to pry the spring off of the airbag retainers.
In my case, initially dirty contacts in the turn signal assembly caused the "clicking". I had sprayed WD40 near the turn signal stalk and this solved the problem for about 18 months. When it reoccurred, I tried again but this time it didn't work, in fact it resulted in the right turn signal continuously flashing. I followed the directions in this thread but it didn't solve the problem and I had to buy a new turn signal assembly from VW. ($90) At least it's fixed.
While it's not specifically mentioned in this thread, before you remove the steering wheel, take care to ensure that the wheels are perfectly straight so that when you reinstall it, the wheel will be straight also.

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Count me another satisfied customer!

I didn't try any temporary fixes before taken the whole thing apart, thoroughly cleaning it, and re-greasing with di-electric grease. I used electrical contact cleaner from Princess Auto - a $10 can from which I used next to nothing.

My one problem was getting the airbag off. Agreed - what a PITA! I wound up also significantly damaging the back of the steering wheel just like the guy's post above, in fact I finally got it off by ripping it so far that I could go in the side. Nice thing though is it's not very noticeable by just pushing the foam back into place. Not my first choice but after failing to get it off over the course of two weeks, I just wanted to get on with the project.

I should also mention that while I was in there I took the wiper switch apart and cleaned / greased it as well. I don't know if anybody has a problem with this, but it wasn't that hard to do and it's very much a "while you're in there" kind of a thing.

Happy Hunting.

sarmale

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI
success!

A relay was clicking constantly, usually starting after the signal turns off (signals were working fine). I figured it was either something to do with the hazard light button or the main signal stalk itself. Went to Canadian Tire, bought the cheapest motomaster electric circuit cleaner (supposedly leaves no residue, lubricates, and cleans). Sprayed it as you guys advised where the signal stalk meets the steering column, and all around the hazard light switch (obsessively), moved both buttons around w the car off, let it sit in the sun for a while. Glad to say, at least temporarily, problem is completely solved, have heard no more clicking. Worth every penny. Thanks! Ill report back if any problems.

KD2306

TDI
01 Jetta TDI
My turn signals where also making the clicking noise which has been driving me crazy for the last 3 months, also my cruise was intermittent then all of a sudden quit about 3 months ago. So i figured from reading these very informative threads that it was probably time i replace the turn signal & cruise switch, but in the mean time i thought i would treat the switch to some contact cleaner as suggested in this thread to at least get rid of the noise until i could get around to replacing the switch. The clicking noise has gone and the cruise functions have also returned. Now the big question do i return the switch or replace it?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My turn signals where also making the clicking noise which has been driving me crazy for the last 3 months, also my cruise was intermittent then all of a sudden quit about 3 months ago. So i figured from reading these very informative threads that it was probably time i replace the turn signal & cruise switch, but in the mean time i thought i would treat the switch to some contact cleaner as suggested in this thread to at least get rid of the noise until i could get around to replacing the switch. The clicking noise has gone and the cruise functions have also returned. Now the big question do i return the switch or replace it?
I would return the part(s). The step you've taken could postpone the need for replacement for a year or maybe several years, or until such time as you don't even own the car anymore. So return the part, get your money back, and hope you never need to repurchase that switch.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You'll probably need it some time... I finally had to replace mine...

Yuri
But... what method did you use to stop the clicking? and how many miles/months afterward did it return?

In my case, the problem initially appeared in February or March 2007. I tried WD-40 but it only worked temporarily and I had to replace the switch in April 2008.

If I had used something like the Radio Shack Control Contact Cleaner and Lubricant, maybe I wouldn't have needed to replace the switch a year later.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
On two occasions I've had friends take the switch apart... The first time only a cleaning, the 2nd time we found the sliding contacts so badly worn that only a cannibalized contact from another unit would fix it... Both of those fixed the clicking for a while - the 2nd operation apparently for good... except that the turn switch stopped working a couple of weeks ago... Fortunately I had picked up a used unit a couple of months back and I just popped it in during an oil change...

Yuri

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some parts are pretty important, like the Relay 109. Important enough to carry a spare, and it is cheap.

A spare turn-signal switch is not so crucial, and not so cheap. I would not keep a spare; I would return it for a refund.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
I agree with Tornado, I would also return the switch, there are more important spares to have!!:D
I have no more troubles with mine at this time!:D

JohnnyCanal

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagon
We had to replace our eventually...

...just depends possibly on how worn the contacts are. It isn't too hard and there are good how to guides... The hardest part is grinding down the screwdriver to make the new tool to pop off the airbag. Getting the airbag to release takes a bit of patience. Luckily I have two children who have taught me to be patient...

kjetta

TDI
jetta gls 2004 wheat
BEW TDI gls turn signal now going off

I was going on to freeway, when the turn signal continued to click, more on R signalling than left. Some days nothing, other days the clicking sound.

When I had radio on and used the signal, I could hear it affecting the radio.
Tonight I drove it and when going over bumps--without signalling--it would click 2 or 3 times then stop, and then the ride back home, nothing.

Would using that Radio Shack cleaner help, but not go as far as removing air bag, etc.? Need the less expensive way....

incrediblelank

TDI
2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T
Hi guys, new to the forum here, but just thought I'd contribute to the conversation ( if it still exists ) in saying that I did try using the tuner cleaner/lube from the source. The steering column smoked and now my left turn signal is eternally flashing. Gonna rip apart the column now and put in a new switch.

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Did you take the switch apart to do this, or just inject it in-situ?

Good to know that stuff doesn't work. Terminal cleaner then followed by di-electric grease worked like a charm for me, good as new. THe thing is as it ages there's all kinds of little metal filings in there (almost like fine metal dust, even saturated into the old grease), the trick is to get them out. Before greasing I scrubbed it out with q-tips and lifted a whole lot of metallic powder lifted out of there.

incrediblelank

TDI
2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T
I just injected in into the opening of the column. This method seems to be very hit or miss. Like I said, it did not work for me, but maybe that's because I used the tuner cleaner/lube. Perhaps if I had used the electrical cleaner from Canadian Tire or something, it would have gone better. Either way, I'm replacing the switch now, and that's definitely going to rid me of the problem.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
First - Thanks to the OP for creating this How To, it was very helpful

I did this today as my headlights were randomly flashing almost every time I drove the car (I could see it in the reflection in cars in front of me at intersections during the day time as well). Time will tell if it has fixed the problem for me or not. I've only had headlight problems - Dim's will randomly flash on/off or not come back on when turning off brights. I've never had any turn signal problems.

Couple things that I took pictures of to help out the next person who does this. It took me 20 minutes to get the cover off - hopefully these pictures will help.

After that it went pretty easy and straight forward. I also took a picture of the little white piece that fell out so you know how to put it back together again.

Here are the headlight contacts - the 3 long brass fingers

Here's where you clean them - looking down from the top in the blurry circle

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
The mechanism intervals metal rubbing on metal. So Actually cleaning up the old filings seems to be the key to making this fix take. Those that have just sprayed cleaner into the steering column without taking it apart have had the least luck.