Kill Switch for Anti-Theft?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Hi all,

Has anyone installed a kill switch that disconnects electrical control to the fuel pump relay? I have deleted the factory alarm system but would like to make sure that I can enable a kill switch if I park in a seedy area.

The simplest option is to simply pull relay 109 but I feel that there is a better way to accomplish this.

Does anyone have some details of their install if they have done so?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Break and switch a wire to the 109, stop solenoid, CPS, 3rd inj, etc. I don’t do any of them, and likely won’t.

I run aftermarket alarm/remote starters and stopped hooking up the starter kill.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
because, you know, we all hear of our rust buckets getting stolen every day!
just have a good auto policy
bypass the electrical stuff and go right for a shutoff valve on the fuel filter, post fuel filter.
Or a cut off switch on the battery terminal, or my favorite, a manual transmission and a detachable steering wheel from momo

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
You could add a switch (hidden under the knee panel) which interrupts/disconnects the output of relay 109, and also interrupt the output of the ignition switch.
Without 109 output, the engine computer won’t boot up, no ignition.
Without the ignition switch output, no crank.
The car would appear as if it had a dead battery because it’s not even trying to start, yet the interior/exterior lights still come on.

Last edited:

genscripter

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta

Why?

You could have the best auto insurance policy on the planet, but once some artar dings your '99 Jetta, the insurance company will deem your car "totalled" because their assessment will be extraordinarily low. They cut you a low-ball check and then you won't have enough money to buy a replacement car. Then you get the privilege of dealing with the DMV and a salvage title! Yippie. :rolleyes:

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
because, you know, we all hear of our rust buckets getting stolen every day!
bypass the electrical stuff and go right for a shutoff valve on the fuel filter, post fuel filter.
Or a cut off switch on the battery terminal, or my favorite, a manual transmission and a detachable steering wheel from momo
Some weird ideas here. Cars get stolen all the time, old and new. Auto policies just total cars like ours.

I don’t know why the myth persists that manual transmissions prevent theft. Any car thief worth their salt will be able to steal a manual car.

Also a mechanical valve still allows the car to run and drive for some time before it starves and dies somewhere, which is a considerably worse situation than just preventing starting in the first place.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Some weird ideas here. Cars get stolen all the time, old and new. Auto policies just total cars like ours.

I don’t know why the myth persists that manual transmissions prevent theft. Any car thief worth their salt will be able to steal a manual car.

Also a mechanical valve still allows the car to run and drive for some time before it starves and dies somewhere, which is a considerably worse situation than just preventing starting in the first place.
The easiest possible way is to switch the relay 109 signal line from the ECM. It goes to the small post on the 109 and turns it on. If tried to start, it would crank and crank, no start. Another is fuse 43 power to the ECM. Nothing would happen with the key turned.
I don't even lock my car, no one else knows what it is but me.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Also run a wire from 12v ignition to a horn, and put a switch in the middle.

You don't want to give them time to figure out how to bypass the killswitch that prevents from starting the engine.

Put the horn under the seat :D