No backup lights, switch and wiring test ok

JLMurphy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT, 2001 Golf 5MT
I'm having an issue with the reverse lights on my '01 Golf 5 speed.

I've checked the wiring, and everything is ok. If I remove the connector from the switch and short the leads I get lights. If I remove the switch and actuate it manually, I get lights. It's just when everything is hooked up and I put the car in reverse, no lights.

I'm left thinking that something may be broken in the shift tower? What actually depresses the switch when you shift into revers? Or am I missing something else?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I doubt the tower is at fault but ya never know. Have you tried to manually select reverse at the tower?

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
There's been talk of worn tower bushings causing this symptom. I don't know how to check those yet but hopefully someone will chime in and help us out. My shifter is very vague and haven't had time to rebuild my shifter yet but plan to check the tower bushing while it's down

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JLMurphy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT, 2001 Golf 5MT
So I fiddled around with it some more and I think it might be the switch / connector after all. If I have the switch out of the tranny, I can push the plunger in such a way that the lights don't come on. Plus, with it in the car, I can wiggle it and get the lights to flicker. I'll replace both and see what happens.

I love chasing electrical faults. :rolleyes:

This will be the second time I've replaced the connector on this car in 8 years and 160k miles. If I had to guess I would say I tweaked it when I was replacing the clutch / flywheel a few months ago.