different heat switch for leather or cloth???

kball

TDI
2006 mk5 tdi, 03 alh
Called the dealer for a pass side seat heater switch and they're asking me if it's got cloth or leather seats. It used to have be clutch, but I swapped in a complete leather interior. What could be the difference between switches? The drivers side worked fine before and after wapping seats.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Hmmm....I swapped in heated leather Passat seats to my golf. On the old cloth seats to get good heat on a cold morning often you had to put it all the way to 5 and then dial it back to 2 or 3.

On the leather Passat seats you don’t put it over 1 unless you want to start your pants on fire. Maybe there is a difference in the switches. I’ll be interested in what others have to say.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The difference is the temprature calibration. From my experience, "2" on the cloth seat dial is about where "4" on the leather dial is.

I think in both cases, "5" is always on / max heat.

At one point VW did a recall to replace all the leather switches with cloth ones, to try and stop the seat heaters lighting people's bums on fire when the heater wire shorted out on the seat frame.

-J

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The difference is the temprature calibration. From my experience, "2" on the cloth seat dial is about where "4" on the leather dial is.

I think in both cases, "5" is always on / max heat.

At one point VW did a recall to replace all the leather switches with cloth ones, to try and stop the seat heaters lighting people's bums on fire when the heater wire shorted out on the seat frame.

-J
Mine had the recall but I had no idea what was done - whatever it was, my seat stopped working altogether and they replaced the cover under warranty/recall (this was back in 06). Switch positions have never really worked right since then - it's like off-off-off-maybe a little warm-burn your ass.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My '01 cloth seats about light you on fire turn up at "3". The '03 leather seats are unpredictable as sometimes "3" is plenty warm and other times feels non-existent until "5".

kball

TDI
2006 mk5 tdi, 03 alh
A toggle switch is sounding better and better vs a $100 switch that constantly fails.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
A toggle switch is sounding better and better vs a $100 switch that constantly fails.
a toggle switch is on/off - no heat or full heat. Don't know about you, but I find the full heat (setting 5) too warm except for initial warm up.

kball

TDI
2006 mk5 tdi, 03 alh
Yeah it’s the pass seat anyway and I just use it to warm up quick and then shut it off anyway

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I guess I've never had a switch fail in all the Jettas I have/had. I have had seat heat wires fail. Glad to have a parts car. Extra seats, switches, etc..

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
One morning my seat got hot and I lowered it back to my normal 2 or 3.
A minute later I realized it was roasting hot and smelt something burning.
I shut the stitch and pulled over to find a slightly smoking seat and a small hole in my pants. :eek:
My seats are cloth btw.
I had my switches replaced with the recall.
They also replaced the cover and disconnected the seat belt warning. :(