Any locals have timing belt tools to borrow?

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
Any locals have timing belt tools to borrow? With the costs alone for the parts, which I cannot afford at the moment, adding the cost of the tools just puts it over the top. And while I have never done a timing belt change on any of my vehicles, this one is going to be a doozy since I cannot afford to have it done.

Anyone know of any cheaper sources with the same quality of those listed on myturbodiesel?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I'm perfectly fine -- Panama City east got nailed bad, especially if you got surged (e.g. Tyndall eastward); we got a bit of rain here.

Brandon, Bradenton, not that far apart :)

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I got the cheap timing belt tools off of Ebay for like $30-$40 and they worked fine when I did my belt.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You can get along without a specific pump pin, tensioner wrench, crank lock, but you need a cam lock. You must pin the pump (drill bit or), you must lock the crank (wedge).
Doing this job for the first time, I would highly recommend you use the good tool kit. Keep looking, they can be rented with a large deposit.

Here is one, the price they show has to be wrong (call)-
ALH Timing Belt Tool Rental

There are a few individuals that will rent for <$100.
You will also need VCDS (or equivalent) to finish the job.
And don't go bargain basement on the parts, walk or ride a bike until you can save enough for decent stuff.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I drilled a small hole in the plastic timing belt cover once I had the valve cover off and used a punch to pop the cam gear off. I held the cam sprocket in place with one of he three tools provided with the cheap timing belt tool set.

Really, no need to buy the expensive timing belt kits when the cheap ones work fine.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
You can get along without a specific pump pin, tensioner wrench, crank lock, but you need a cam lock. You must pin the pump (drill bit or), you must lock the crank (wedge).
Doing this job for the first time, I would highly recommend you use the good tool kit. Keep looking, they can be rented with a large deposit.

Here is one, the price they show has to be wrong (call)-
ALH Timing Belt Tool Rental

There are a few individuals that will rent for <$100.
You will also need VCDS (or equivalent) to finish the job.
And don't go bargain basement on the parts, walk or ride a bike until you can save enough for decent stuff.

I can buy a kit from one of the sites recommended by myturbodiesel for $75. I just don't have that kind of money right now and sadly, I drive for a living, can't have too much downtime.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
The first time I changed my timing belt on a 2002 ALH I built all of my own tools as I didn't have the money to buy them. I'm still using the tools I made. I'd post pictures but for some reason I "may not post attachments".

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
but you need a cam lock.
no you don't
pull the last cam cap, now find a flat file that fits between the deck of the head and into the groove of the cam
stuff it with feeler gauges on both sides to keep it even if you need to. IIRC I've also used a 3/16" lathe tool bit, but everyone has a file, not everyone's got a lathe

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
no you don't
pull the last cam cap, now find a flat file that fits between the deck of the head and into the groove of the cam
stuff it with feeler gauges on both sides to keep it even if you need to. IIRC I've also used a 3/16" lathe tool bit, but everyone has a file, not everyone's got a lathe
The last one I did I didn't even pull the valve cover. I looked online at some of the newer tools that bolt onto where the vacuum bolt on and made my own. I didn't find a piece of steel to fit in the groove of the cam exactly the right thickness so I shimmed it.

End result was that I didn't have to fool around with the valve cover. I was happy with that.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
imgbb.com works great for pictures.

I also made my own tools. My pump lock is a screw driver that I bent the shank 90 degrees. It fits nice and snug.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
injection pump is a solid "do it by eye" as you are not going to get it a full tooth off, and it needs adjustment every time anyways

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
code is On
HTML code is Off

This is what my posting rules say. I just assumed that since it says "you may not post attachments" that I wasn't allowed to post pictures for some reason.

Now I realize that I'm getting off topic here so if someone want to pm me or point me to a thread that explains this I'm ok with doing that.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
No one can post attachments. We post links to files (url).
Please use pics.tdiclub.com, instructions in my signature, it's easy and gives options for large, medium or thumbnails.
Nothing wrong with posting a url from wherever, but they will eventually disappear.