03 jetta tdi

Jwielk83

TDI
03 Jetta sedan
no backlights on dash

started the car this morning, went to put the headlights on and the dash or radio did not light up. however my headlights and tail lights work as well as everything else. Just no backlight. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Fuse #22 and/or 23, which are the side marker lights and maybe some other misc. But, if either of the 22/23 fuse blows, the dash cluster lights are out.

Jwielk83

TDI
03 Jetta sedan
So, checked basically every fuse. I’m resorting to a new headlight and dimmer switch I guess. Also, even though the fuses were fine, I still changed them.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
In the stupid comment category (my specialty), the dash light dimmer can actually turn all the way off iirc. Does the radio work, just not light?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I've had cheap knockoff euroswitches fail such that the console lights come on but the actual headlights did not. You have the opposite, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's just another failure mode on the headlight switch.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
If your dimmer switch is not plugged in it will not let the dash lights on. Thus, i would check the wiring to and from that switch and the switch itself.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've had cheap knockoff euroswitches fail such that the console lights come on but the actual headlights did not. You have the opposite, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's just another failure mode on the headlight switch.
I had that opposite use case: headlights/taillights went on; IP lights did not. Not that bothersome but sometimes neither set of lights would go on. Rotating the headlight switch a few times fixed it but I knew someday it would not and I'd be in trouble when I had to drive at night. The IP lights also rarely could be brightened or dimmed. Replaced both the dimmer rheostat and the knockoff Euroswitch and life is good again. $100 and a little of your time is all it takes.

Jwielk83

TDI
03 Jetta sedan
ok so the lights started working again...(on their own). But every now and again, if i smack the top of the dash right above the radio they come back on...any ideas as to why that would happen???

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Obviously a loose connection.
When the lights are on and not working do the door switches light up?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
(Her) 2003 had same issue- Euroswitch and fuses were good. Dimmer switch was at fault. Smacking the area often works if there's a bad connection in the switch. Ten second fix (and cheap).