Center Panel Removal from Dash

GgOTi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (Mickey)-RIP | 2011 335d-RIP | 2010 Jetta TDI (Merlin)-Returned to VW | 2001 Jetta TDI (The German)-SOLD
Does anyone know how to remove this panel?

Thanks in advance!

GgOTi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (Mickey)-RIP | 2011 335d-RIP | 2010 Jetta TDI (Merlin)-Returned to VW | 2001 Jetta TDI (The German)-SOLD
I tried prying (is that spelled correctly?) at it, but it felt like the plastic was going to snap.

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
I'm just searching Google for Jetta Vents.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1960541

Center Vent
1. Remove two torque screws in upper corners of vents (you jetta guys don't need to do this part, follow steps 2-4).
***Jetta guys I have noticed in my travels, one or two instances where the center vent in a jetta had these two torx screws in place. They are a PITA to remove since you can't easily remove them. I suggest taking a good look through the 'louvres' of your vents to see if you see anything that looks like a screw back there, prior to yanking the vents out. IF, and its a big IF, you see screws in there - you'll need to carefully pull the front fascia of the jetta vents off the housing, then remove the louvres and then undo the screws. PM me for help if you need it***
2. Carefully remove all of the buttons by prying behind them with a little screwdriver. The hazard switch and rear defrost will be mighty hard to get off. Undo the wiring harnesses for the witches, and store the switches in a safe place.
3. If you can’t get a switch out, you should be able to get the whole vent out and remove them from the rear. The top of the center vent should come out towards you a little bit, then the bottom should release itself from their clips. Again - a putty knife can help get under the edge and help the vent out - be careful not to damage the soft touch coating, patience is key. 4. Once out, you should be able to pull the vents out just enough to undo the harness for any stubborn switch, and then get the switch out. The problem with the above mentioned switches is they are held in with metal springs that are very tough to get out.
The Jetta vents are a PITA, 1st remove a button, I had all options but if you have a blank button remove it carefully with a small flat head. Then if you look up inside the vent you'll see two tabs you need to press in with a screw driver, then the rest just pulls out, I thought I was about to break mine but it did pull out you just have to be super careful. If you have illuminated vents be careful not to rip out the wires that connect to the LED.
I remember it really helped to take the buttons out. I dont remember any tabs though.

Here's another one:
http://forums.motivemag.com/showthread.php?4590215

Start By removing the switches ¡V If you have the blank spot start with that, if not work with each switch.

Once all your switches are out you will end up with something like this:

With the switches done you will be able to pull the trim out
To do this wedge a small flat head screw driver in between the dash and the panel where the green arrows are located. Gently pry outwards and work your way around until the panel pops out. It is very fragile so take your time and do it right.
With enough care you will end up with it looking like this.

This says pry, but I didn't pry anything.
I did learn that after some time and after sun exposure, the paint on all the trim is very soft and fragile, and will scratch off. You're lucky though, this is black plastic, not like the other 2 vents which are white ABS.

Last edited:

GgOTi

Veteran Member
TDI
So pop out the buttons
Then press in the tabs that hold the face of the panel on
Then slide out the panel
Remove vents if necessary?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
GgOTi, for the life of me, I can't figure out where the wiring harness for the vents need to connect to!! I had to replace the lighted vents after heater core was removed and replaced, but I can't find the power connector for the vent lights! ugh

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
Anyone know how to disconnect the harness on a 2002? I've noticed that these are wired differently throughout the MK4 years.