Wheel bearing tool- suggestions

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Looking to purchase a wheel bearing removal tool. The type that removes the bearings with the hubs in place. Snap On is $550+ which is more than I want to spend currently.

Looking for good quality, not Harbour freight stuff. Recommendations?

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm sure there is something in between the HF kit and the Snap-on deal (I've seen it, it's nice).

My issue is, anything in between is probably just (Chinese) HF kit with as higher mark-up. So, why not get the most economical version? If you don't live near a HF I understand, the savings may not be as much, as the kit is really heavy.

All that said, I have the HF kit and have used it 3 times and it works just fine. It probably wouldn't be first choice for "everyday use", but for the odd bearing every few years, it's nice to have. Quality is fine, it's pretty simple stuff.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds like a good tool to rent. Some parts houses have them for free.
Not that I don't love buying tools!

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
My son and I used the HF tool, for the adaptors, with a hydraulic press. Once you do it a couple of times, you can do it in 2 hours or less if you have everything laid out, an angle grinder and an impact wrench.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I cheated. I took it to a friends shop with a hub tamer. He said it was a real devil. The car has 450TKM on it and the bearing was likely the original.

Likely going to pick up the OTC version.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Get the HF tool with a 20% off coupon and pick up the large gear puller. Borrow the large slide hammer from auto zone or advance auto.
I've gotten it down to An hour to do each side .
No need for expensive tools.
Just my .02
I've got 5 mk IV's at my house.

MadScience

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5spd; 2002 Golf GL TDI 5psd; 1998 Beetle TDI 5spd (sold); 2001 Jetta TDI 5spd swap
x2 on the HF tool set. Worked great for me

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The HF worked for me with Scurvy's instructional post. As mentioned, you will need some good lube on the puller threads; skip that step and it will likely cause some troubles. Clover 70% moly did it for me...:)
cheers,
Douglas

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
I've used my spring compressor tool to pull of and install bearings for years, never had to use a specific tool. Just a suggestion ...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have found taking the carrier out of the car and just walking over to the press is MUCH easier. Of course, the press is a giant beast of a tool, so...

I have the ones you do on the car, and I find them to be awkward and a pain in the butt to use. It only takes another 2 minutes to get the entire carrier off of most cars. B5s take a little longer, but they seem to be much easier on wheel bearings anyway.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I've always removed them with a torch by cutting partially in to the outer race of the bearing, the protruding section between inner and outer bearing rows. by the time I grab my air hammer it has cooled and takes only a very light short burst to pop it out. Cranking them out with a tool is too much work for my lazy #ss

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have found taking the carrier out of the car and just walking over to the press is MUCH easier. Of course, the press is a giant beast of a tool, so...

I have the ones you do on the car, and I find them to be awkward and a pain in the butt to use. It only takes another 2 minutes to get the entire carrier off of most cars. B5s take a little longer, but they seem to be much easier on wheel bearings anyway.
Haven't had the pleasure of doing these on the veedub, but other cars I just pull the carrier and take it to a parts store whats got a press, not especially expensive.