Installing Zerostart Coolant Heater

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hi all. I recently got a 1000w Zerostart coolant heater for my 2003 ALH TDI. Has anyone ever installed one before or have a link for a DIY? I so far have only seen one, also mine came with a plastic Y connector which didn't seem to be used in the DIY I saw, what is this used for? As well the article indicated to remove the check valve, why is this necessary and why is it on the heater originally? Any help is appreciated!

As well as far as plugging it in I have a timer I can use at home, but at work is it OK to let this heater run with no timer for 12 hrs straight ?

Again thanks in advance!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Look up the link for a Frostheater install should help a lot. Yes, the check valve needs to be removed as the TDI keeps that part of the plumbing in open flow mode all of the time so the engine doesn't get damaged. Mine does not have a Y installed either. I purchased the Frostheater kit as a unit of parts. A 1000 watt heater installed properly should be just fine, some of the units are 1200 watts and above. I figured out for my car 4 hours of heat is long enough for a guaranteed instant start even in the snow. Granted, it gets significantly colder where you live than where I live.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
No problem letting it "run" continuously for the work shift because it has a high limit switch in it and will only heat up to the limit and shut off /on to maintain temp. If you listen you can hear it cycle on/off once it finally gets up to temp, or....if you don't get the outlet hose situated at a proper slope gradually upwards (as in too level or a dip downward in it) the heater will quickly reach limit temp and cycle off/on without circulating the heated coolant. In that case the outlet hose gets hot and the engine coolant temp sensor gets just warm enough for minimal GP cycle and you get hard cold starting because the head, oil cooler and engine block jacket don't get warmed up.
Pay attention to the routing of the hot outlet hose.
I fabricated my own setup many years ago using the ZeroStart coolant heater just like the FrostHeater kits use. It was on a clearance table at Fleet/Farm store for $9, if I recall.

Last edited:

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Look up the link for a Frostheater install should help a lot. Yes, the check valve needs to be removed as the TDI keeps that part of the plumbing in open flow mode all of the time so the engine doesn't get damaged. Mine does not have a Y installed either. I purchased the Frostheater kit as a unit of parts. A 1000 watt heater installed properly should be just fine, some of the units are 1200 watts and above. I figured out for my car 4 hours of heat is long enough for a guaranteed instant start even in the snow. Granted, it gets significantly colder where you live than where I live.
Thanks Nevada, I'll do some more searching. Ya it gets pretty cold here at times that's for sure! What's the coldest you've used your heater at?

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
No problem letting it "run" continuously for the work shift because it has a high limit switch in it and will only heat up to the limit and shut off /on to maintain temp. If you listen you can hear it cycle on/off once it finally gets up to temp, or....if you don't get the outlet hose situated at a proper slope gradually upwards (as in too level or a dip downward in it) the heater will quickly reach limit temp and cycle off/on without circulating the heated coolant. In that case the outlet hose gets hot and the engine coolant temp sensor gets just warm enough for minimal GP cycle and you get hard cold starting because the head, oil cooler and engine block jacket don't get warmed up.
I fabricated my own setup many years ago using the ZeroStart coolant heater just like the FrostHeater kits use. It was on a clearance table at Fleet/Farm store for $9, if I recall.
Awesome thanks for the info. Good to know I can leave it plugged in continuous as that's what I'll have to do on the cold days or nights at work. I'll pay attention to the routing of the hose. Did you use the Y connector on your installation or do you know what it's used for? And yes makes sense if the coolant doesn't flow properly it will trick the CTS into thinking the engine is warmer than it is. Thanks!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
From what I understand, the Y connector is for generic installations. The custom "tdiheater" that uses the same heating unit, does not use the Y. FYI - I used to plug mine in when I got home from work so I didn't need to use a timer.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
From what I understand, the Y connector is for generic installations. The custom "tdiheater" that uses the same heating unit, does not use the Y. FYI - I used to plug mine in when I got home from work so I didn't need to use a timer.
OK thanks for this! What was the longest you ever had it plugged in for?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK thanks for this! What was the longest you ever had it plugged in for?
Good question... I used to leave it 12 hours in normal operation. I'm sure it's been left longer. It's temperature controlled so it'll cycle on/off as needed. I use a timer now - mostly because the house I was renting had horrible wiring (not an old house either!) and if my girlfriend used the hairdryer while the car was plugged in, the breaker would trip. I used the timer to make sure it was off before she got up.

Wiring is good at our new (but much older) house - I set it to run about 5 hours and still be on as I'm leaving.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hey out of curiosity, does parking on a slope up, down or whatever affect the performance of the coolant heater?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey out of curiosity, does parking on a slope up, down or whatever affect the performance of the coolant heater?

It can. If the slope of the before mentioned outlet hose routing is marginal, enough of a slope in certain directions may prevent the proper incline of the hose and interfere with the gravity/thermo-siphon effect and cause the warmed coolant not to circulate.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
When my dearly departed 2002 Golf was new it sat outside in MN where the temperature hit -20 to -25 degrees F. I had it on a timer that started it 3 hours before I left for work. You could see how warm the engine was as the snow in about an 18 inch circle was melted on the hood. Turn the key and then engine starts like it is summer and temperature goes to 190 F, drive as it will start to cool off right away.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When my dearly departed 2002 Golf was new it sat outside in MN where the temperature hit -20 to -25 degrees F. I had it on a timer that started it 3 hours before I left for work. You could see how warm the engine was as the snow in about an 18 inch circle was melted on the hood. Turn the key and then engine starts like it is summer and temperature goes to 190 F, drive as it will start to cool off right away.
Let them sit longer and the snow will be cleared off the entire windshield :) Especially if you leave the "knob" on set to defrost.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
It can. If the slope of the before mentioned outlet hose routing is marginal, enough of a slope in certain directions may prevent the proper incline of the hose and interfere with the gravity/thermo-siphon effect and cause the warmed coolant not to circulate.

OK makes sense!

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Jetta where and how did you mount your heater tank? I was working on it tonight trying to see the best spot. I elected to try mounting off a bolt securing the power steering line but kinda got stalemated with concerns with not enough rise and also potential rubbing the power steering line.....

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ZeroStart unit I bought came with a bracket that I used (along with a industrial size zip tie or two) to mount it under the battery tray much the same as the FrostHeater units. For proper coolant flow I think that's the best location.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It sits about 5 inches below the battery box, if it is mounted too high it will not properly flow water. I did say in another post I wish I would have installed the Frostheater years ago. I have no option to park inside, so having a non-icicle cold car on a snowy morning is a great thing.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
It sits about 5 inches below the battery box, if it is mounted too high it will not properly flow water. I did say in another post I wish I would have installed the Frostheater years ago. I have no option to park inside, so having a non-icicle cold car on a snowy morning is a great thing.
Is yours the cylinder type heater or the square one?

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hi all. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum and that posted on my thread. Got my coolant heater installed and seems to work good!! Made a slightly different custom bracket but it worked out great, so far lol. Haven't had cold enough temps to actually utilize it but i plugged it in for a bit and coolant seems to circulate well, outlet hose gets a lot hotter than inlet and you can feel the heat and the head heats up nice and that was only after a few hours. Just need to put the final touch on running a longer cord and running thru the grille.

While i had it in the garage i did other winter prep like trickle charged the battery and installed my 80w battery blanket, just have to throw on my pipe foam winter front and im gold for winter!!

And on a side note i also have a 250w oil pan heater. When its super cold ( like -25C or -30C ) is there any harm in running my 250w oil pan heater and my 1000w coolant heater?? Just thought i'd ask!

Anyway thanks again, was a big help making this installation .

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
If you're willing to cut 6 inches of the plug off the heater, and wire it to this style Marinco 150BBIW plug, it makes for a nice, clean addition. Extremely easy install, and they're only about $18-20 on amazon.
Also, since I've installed my FH and installed this plug, I ordered both a "Woods 2435 16/3 50 ft cold weather extension cord" and a 15 amp "Century 24hour grounded mechanical timer." Which, for the price is awfully convenient to set what time it turns on and off, and just make sure its plugged in.

And, since the install, I did find this, which may be better suited than cutting the heater on the plug:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP1-125V-Integrated-Extension/dp/B009ANV81S
Enjoy!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I bought one for my mk7. Just I don't think there's a enough room to make it look pretty where I want it.

Might have to get a smaller diameter profile one...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
If you're willing to cut 6 inches of the plug off the heater, and wire it to this style Marinco 150BBIW plug, it makes for a nice, clean addition. Extremely easy install, and they're only about $18-20 on amazon.
Also, since I've installed my FH and installed this plug, I ordered both a "Woods 2435 16/3 50 ft cold weather extension cord" and a 15 amp "Century 24hour grounded mechanical timer." Which, for the price is awfully convenient to set what time it turns on and off, and just make sure its plugged in.

And, since the install, I did find this, which may be better suited than cutting the heater on the plug:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP1-125V-Integrated-Extension/dp/B009ANV81S
Enjoy!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Ya I saw another thread with something like that good idea! Thx

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
I actually have a timer I need to set it up and program it! My hours are all over the place so I'll have to look hopefully it has a few different program settings

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
So this thing works awesome ! Was -20C the other night had it plugged in the glow plugs didn't even cycle!! Fired up instantly!

PickensSC

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta