www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 14th, 2018, 20:11   #1
jenxo

Unhappy 300k Jetta Tdi - Replaced Crank Sensor, now 3 codes : 0722,0228,0671

Hi,
I've been trying to fix my 2002 Tdi for over a year now.
Basically drives perfectly fine for about 10-20min and then dies. Try to crank, doesn't fire up. I wait for about 5 hours, starts right up. ( the Speedometer is still not working, even though I replaced it with a Speed sensor a while back).

I got a tip from a local mechanic who said it was the CRANK POSITION SENSOR. I ordered a new one, installed it in 5 min.
Drove the car 1 mile, and the Check engine light came on. First time I saw it come on. From my cheap OB2 Reader I get :

P0722 - appears to indicate speed sensor
P0671 - appears to indicate Glow plug #1
P0228 - Throttle position sensor or alternator/low voltage ?

Help....any ideas ??

Update: I erased the codes, drove it 1 mile. Parked it, Turned it off and now it wont start. Took about 6 cranks and then it started running. Turned it off, wouldn't start again. pulling my hair out. Ive replaced Relay 109, fuel sender, some hoses, fuel filter and few other things..nightmare. I need DIESEL NOW, since gas is up up! Help!!

Last edited by jenxo; May 16th, 2018 at 22:10.
jenxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 20:47   #2
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

it would be easy to test your glow plugs with a meter now and checking/cleaning all the contacts with Deoxit. P0228 can be a few things from what I have read. It doesn't come up on the RossTech website. May be worthwhile to find someone with the VCDS to get better codes.

Last edited by ToxicDoc; May 14th, 2018 at 20:51.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:33   #3
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Replace the new crank sensor with oem. That may or may not still leave you with your original problem.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 04:20   #4
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Recheck your installation of the new sensor. Using the bolt to seat the new sensor could warp it according to another member here who had similar problems after a new sensor was installed.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 04:24   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Non-OEM level sensor, incorrect installation, rust caught between sensor body and block mounting surface, etc. can all cause issues.

I thoroughly clean both the flat mounting surface and the hole... if it is really bad I drain the oil afterwards, as that hole opens directly into the crankcase.

Then I lube the o-ring on the new sensor with some petroleum jelly, and push it in until it seats... you'll feel it slide (almost a "pop") into place, then gently rotate it to line up the retaining bolt hole.

Also make sure the wire on the engine harness side is not rubbed through anywhere.
Old May 15th, 2018, 22:21   #6
jenxo

It starts up fine on a cold start, after I run it around the block, and park it, try starting it again, and it takes 5-6 cranks to start.

Now...
A mechanic I spoke to mentioned it is likely the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR that needs replacing.
I can't find the location of the CPS or how to install it on Youtube.
Old May 16th, 2018, 03:12   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Do not speak to that "mechanic" ever again. Your car has no CMP sensor.

I already posted some hints, have you looked into that?
Old May 16th, 2018, 22:09   #8
jenxo

Thanks, this weekend I'm going to redo my CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR installation, following your suggestions. I truly appreciate your kind help.
Old Yesterday, 16:15   #9
jenxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenxo View Post
Thanks, this weekend I'm going to redo my CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR installation, following your suggestions. I truly appreciate your kind help.
It just threw a GLOW Plug #1 Check engine light
P0671

Last edited by jenxo; Yesterday at 16:19.