www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 7th, 2018, 21:00   #46
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Man...looks like fun. Wish I could have done a lap or two.
Yeah, it was a blast out there, especially when you're passing Porsches and other cars that are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the RTDI. Heck, we were hitting 120 on the straight aways in the rain and for comparison when I had my Jetta on the track the most we could muster on a perfectly dry track was 115, maybe 120 which goes to show you the RTDI has more in it.

If you're interested in getting some seat time, there are quite a few track days I'm interested in going to. The first track day I'm planning on going to is May 12th at Road America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
Cool stuff Eric - having RA to yourself, even in the rain, is quite an opportunity.
It was kind of weird at first when there aren't other cars around you on the track, but it was great being able to run any line we wanted which came in handy when there was standing water on certain section of the track.

Admission is free for spectators Better yet would be to join in with the Audi TT TDI
http://lapstrackdays.com/

http://www.mvptracktime.com/index.html
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 21:34   #47
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
If you're interested in getting some seat time, there are quite a few track days I'm interested in going to. The first track day I'm planning on going to is May 12th at Road America
Didn't you say you needed to have some sort of licensing to drive on the course....basically prove that you aren't a novice race car driver.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 22:55   #48
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Didn't you say you needed to have some sort of licensing to drive on the course....basically prove that you aren't a novice race car driver.
Yep, you need to have a valid driver's license. Plus a little track time never hurt. There are 2 different companies that put on the track days. http://lapstrackdays.com/ has a little more of a relaxed guideline on who can drive me where http://www.mvptracktime.com/index.html has a more strict policy on who can drive while I'm riding shotgun.
So other than the May 12th track day which I already have a driver for, there are plenty of other HPDE days open with LAPS that we can go to.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:11   #49
greengeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
Yep, you need to have a valid driver's license. Plus a little track time never hurt. There are 2 different companies that put on the track days. http://lapstrackdays.com/ has a little more of a relaxed guideline on who can drive me where http://www.mvptracktime.com/index.html has a more strict policy on who can drive while I'm riding shotgun.
So other than the May 12th track day which I already have a driver for, there are plenty of other HPDE days open with LAPS that we can go to.
Many moons ago I had a bit of track time.

Old February 11th, 2018, 08:58   #50
cumminsfromthecold
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TDIYota 28-30, always on B20-B99.9, R32 terrible, blue B4 TBD

Great thread, greengeeker. Watching with interest. Doing my best to blow up the 3.2 and get the swap started
Old February 11th, 2018, 18:12   #51
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Many moons ago I had a bit of track time.
That works for me. Seriously, just let me know which LAPS event you want to go to and we'll make it happen. I wanna get in as much lap time as possible now that the car is up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsfromthecold View Post
Great thread, greengeeker. Watching with interest. Doing my best to blow up the 3.2 and get the swap started
Technically it's my thread, but I can see how you would think it was greengeeker's since he quite a few posts in it from helping me out with the car.

What engine are you going to replace the 3.2 with? ALH? PD? CR?

Even though I've never ridden in a stock R32, you'll be amazed at what a well built TDI can do in an AWD car. You no longer have wheel spin in the first two or three gears, the handling is phenomenal, and you can still get 40+mpg if you can keep your foot out of it.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old February 28th, 2018, 20:15   #52
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Well Steve at TechnicalDieselInnovations strikes again. This past fall there was more and more soot building up under the hood until it got really bad after we fixed the MAP sensor wiring, we took the car for a spin when a plume of soot came from under the hood.

With me using the car primarily as a track toy, I decided a roll cage would be a smart addition, so with the recommendation of a friend I took the car to Trudell Performance in Green Bay, WI. Besides the roll cage I wanted them to take a look at the exhaust leak and this is where Steve comes into the picture... they got around to removing the exhaust manifold and turbo today only to find that a few nuts were loose on the exhaust manifold to the head. Then it goes from bad to worse...when they separated the turbo from the manifold they found that the turbo gasket was installed incorrectly.

Here's one of the loose nuts.

I'm not sure how the car made 263 hp/ 414 lb-ft with the turbo gasket blocking 1/4 of the turbine wheel. Well hopefully after everything is back together it'll pick up some response and overall power without covering the engine bay with soot.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old February 28th, 2018, 20:34   #53
greengeeker

Geez. I just assumed the flange on the downpipe wasn't flat.
Old February 28th, 2018, 21:44   #54
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Geez. I just assumed the flange on the downpipe wasn't flat.
Yeah, I could hardly believe what I was seeing in those pictures. Hopefully this is the last time that one of Steve's screw ups rares it ugly head.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old April 19th, 2018, 21:44   #55
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Nothing to major to report at this time other than Trudell Performance had the interior removed from the car for fitting the roll cage. They also pulled the turbo and manifold due to the incorrectly installed gasket and the nuts coming loose that hold the manifold to the head causing a massive exhaust leak.

They found it was easiest to pull the turbo and manifold by dropping the subframe, which made it a great time to do a few upgrades with the subframe bushings and the clamp that holds the power steering rack to the subframe.

http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension...rame-bushings/

http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension...w/mk1-audi-tt/

You can see how the gasket was installed incorrectly on the turbine outlet.

Another upgrade that was made while the car was sitting this winter was a ColorMFA was installed in the cluster. It's got so many features, it's a little mind blowing. Here's the list. http://colormfa.ru/en/

If you're interested in getting one, there should be another group buy starting in June/July. You'll need to contact Matt on Facebook, who puts together the group buy and can install it for you when it arrives, which could take 3-4 months.
https://www.facebook.com/ClustersbyLitke/?ref=search

What he started with...

During install...

Finished product...

Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old April 20th, 2018, 04:21   #56
greengeeker

That MFD is awesome Eric!

Can't wait to see how the rollcage comes together. Are they going to use your kit? The whole thing or just the back half?
Old April 20th, 2018, 19:43   #57
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Yeah, the ColorMFA is going to be an awesome upgrade for displaying pertinent information when out on the track and the latest firmware update allows for a shift light to be set, which is a huge bonus, since I'm not the one behind the wheel. Then the added fact that it can read and clear codes is just amazing in itself.

Here's how I initially learned about the ColorMFA for anyone that might be interested in learning a little bit for about it and what's required to make it work for cars not originally equipped with a MFD.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...uster-upgrade!

The roll cage will utilize as much as they can from the Autopower roll cage that I purchased initially. They are going to modify the hoop that goes behind the seats, since it was setup for just the driver. With me getting transferred in and out of the car, they could build a full cage going forward, so it's going to be a 3/4 cage and by that I mean they won't be cutting any holes in the dash to run the cage along the A-pillars.

The plan is to have the front tubing follow the contour of the dash and then welding the bottom of the leg to the floor. Then the two tubes will be joined where the windshield meets the roof.

I was going to stop by today and take some pics after a couple of appointments I had in the Green Bay and Appleton area, but we ran into an accident on our way to Appleton from Green Bay and then by the time we left Appleton to head back towards Green Bay, the shop had closed.
I'm planning on making a trip to Green Bay to check out the car early next week, so I'll post some pics when I get back of the progress.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old May 16th, 2018, 20:48   #58
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Well finally some more updates on the car.

Stage 8 hardware got installed to prevent the chance of an exhaust leak. Cool fastners I've never heard of. Go check them out at https://www.stage8.com/

Since they had to drop the subframe I had them install the solid steering rack bracket and solid subframe mounts from Tyrolsport. Yes I can see the control arm bushings are shot.
The plan is to go with IDF tubular control arms next winter.
IDF Tubular Control Arms

The plan was to take the car to Road America this past Saturday, but some unforeseen issues stopped us from being able to attend. So the shop is going to look everything over and make sure everything works as it should. They're also going to cover one of my track days coming up as a way to apologize for us missing the track day.
I'm sure you're sick of reading, so on with some more pictures.
Cupra R Lip got installed

The rear license plate finally got installed

If you look at the gas pedal, you'll notice the red pedal extension from Rennline to make it easier to heel/toe out on the track.

The roll cage is a work in progress.

Then last, but not least would be the new RS-30 Antigravity battery to replace the OEM battery that died over winter. talk about a great way to shave 40 lbs off the front of the car. Eventually it will get relocated to the hatch when the mounting kit for that battery becomes available.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread

Last edited by 3L3M3NT; May 16th, 2018 at 21:20. Reason: Resize pictures
Old May 16th, 2018, 21:46   #59
sardo_67
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38mpg (driving like i stole it)

cage looks great, you should add at least 1 cross bar though as if that rolls or has side impact i can see the cage tweaking to the side.

or a center bar at shoulder height for the belts to attach to.

do you plan on a dyno session to see what it makes now that the turbo seal is fixed?
sardo_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 22:20   #60
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

The cage isn't complete at the moment, so some more tubing will be added

Yeah, I'd like to dyno it when the car has some time on it to make sure it's running 100%. I'm sure it will make a little bit more power than the initial dyno without the gasket restricting the flow of the exhaust.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread