www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old May 14th, 2018, 09:44   #1
Krytie TV

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default Engine blew? Can't diagnose yet, but have the symptoms.

Instead of spending my lunch break eating, I'm now wondering what I just blew in my 2006 Jetta BRM.

I usually get a puff of smoke on startup, but this time it was a bit more. I pulled out on to the road and right after shifting to 2nd, I heard a clunk, for lack of a better term. It's almost the sound you would hear if a large metal object was bouncing around in your hood compartment. Kinda like running over something. Car was shaking moderately and I was able to pull back in at about half-power.

Of course the weather today is awful, so I pulled back into work and popped the hood to find the bottom half of the engine soaked with oil, my antifreeze is draining, and a steady stream of oil is running down from the front/passenger side of my skid plate.

I'm assuming that it's my cylinder head, given the antifreeze issue. I'm wondering if anyone has any obvious diagnoses while I scramble to figure out what the rest of my day looks like. Any and ALL ideas are welcome.
Krytie TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 09:49   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I should think the problem should be pretty obvious once you look.

I am betting by the sounds of it there is a rod that made a ventilation hole in the the block.
Old May 14th, 2018, 09:50   #3
Krytie TV

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I should think the problem should be pretty obvious once you look.
I am betting by the sounds of it there is a rod that made a ventilation hole in the the block.
That sounds poetically fatal.
Krytie TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 21:04   #4
pedroYUL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~17.5 km/L

I have a 2006 Jetta in need of a new body, but very solid mechanically. Let me know how this one turns out, maybe we can work something out.
pedroYUL is offline   Reply With Quote