www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 16th, 2018, 06:05   #1
Bmangdog

Default Rod Bearing Replacement?

Hey all, New to the forum and I am from Southern Oregon.

I bought my 2003 TDI Golf 5spd with about 186k on it and have been driving it for about 3500 miles. This last weekend I heard a light tick and pulled over to investigsate, (oil,water,temp,oil pressure was all good). I continued on very easy and the noise turned into more of a knock so I stopped and had the car towed home. I pulled the pan and found #2 cylinder has mashed the rod bearing and had about 1/8" of play in it. I would love to find a new motor but I cannot afford that right now, so I am going to have the crank fixed and do all new bearings and timing belt etc. Is there a shop that specializes in grinding and polishing cranks for these cars that I should send it? I also plan on doing valve seals, rings, and a south bend clutch. Thanks in advance! Brady

Bmangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:28   #2
Franko6

We can kit you up. If the crank is not warped too bad, we can accept your core and provide a swap. We have cranks ready to go.

If you prefer, we have crank grinding service that will turn yours. $200. Excellent workmanship.

The crank sensor wheel should be removed and new screws installed. Otherwise, it gets bent.

Also, since the bearings spun, I would not trust the big ends to be good. We can check them, replace them or repair them.

We can also balance the pistons and ultrasonically clean them. If you want to get bores perfect and reuse the pistons, we can coat pistons and have staged oversize rings, for a perfect as new fit.

Let us know what you would like. We can help you out.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:56   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

If you are on a tight budget, you are probably better off trying to find a good used engine. Also, I'd be concerned about why this happened in the first place. It could be an injection issue, and that can and will destroy an engine in short order.... in seconds even (ask me how I know ).
Old May 16th, 2018, 20:53   #4
Bmangdog

Thanks for the reply’s, I talked with Frank tonight and I think I am going to go his route.
Old May 17th, 2018, 03:28   #5
oilhammer

Awesome, he'll hook you up good!

And again, I would want to be concerned about why this happened in the first place. ALHs are pretty tough, they rarely just chuck parts for no reason.

Frank can give maybe a better idea of what may have gone wrong upon examination of some of the pieces, but some sort of injection problem may not show itself by visual inspection alone.
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:05   #6
Bmangdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Awesome, he'll hook you up good!
And again, I would want to be concerned about why this happened in the first place. ALHs are pretty tough, they rarely just chuck parts for no reason.
Frank can give maybe a better idea of what may have gone wrong upon examination of some of the pieces, but some sort of injection problem may not show itself by visual inspection alone.
I think we determined that the oil pump chain tensioner crapped out, I did find some pieces of plastic in the pan and upon further inspection the tensioner is almost non existent anymore. Iíll snap a pic when I get home tonight!
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:13   #7
oilhammer

Oh yeah, seen that quite a few times. People think I am crazy to recommend chain and tensioner replacement by the 300k mile mark, but that little piece of plastic will ruin your day in a few seconds if it breaks. Usually they last longer than 186k miles, though. At least on the [slower spinning] diesels they do.

Mine had two thin holes worn clear through it when I took it out, and had a hairline crack starting.
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:31   #8
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

If you lost the oil pump what are the odds that the main bearings are the only fatality?

Certainly the turbo is going to be dead, but what about cam bearings?
Old May 18th, 2018, 09:33   #9
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belome View Post
If you lost the oil pump what are the odds that the main bearings are the only fatality?

Certainly the turbo is going to be dead, but what about cam bearings?
^ This ....as oilhammer said, it may be cheaper to find a good used engine if you are on a budget.
On the other hand Franko6 is the way to go if you want it done right.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:59   #10
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
If you want to get bores perfect and reuse the pistons, we can coat pistons and have staged oversize rings, for a perfect as new fit.
What is the piston coating?
I never heard of this.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote