www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 9th, 2018, 11:31   #16
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Customers that guess what's wrong with their car due to lack of tools/equipment/ability to properly diagnose repairs make up 35% of my yearly parts sales.
Old May 9th, 2018, 13:15   #17
afarfalla
Veteran Member

^^^there are a lot of dumbxss mechanics that do the same, they throw parts at the car hoping one will fix it.
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:34   #18
PickleRick
Veteran Member

You'd be shocked at the elementary questions small back yard technicians (who have ran their own shop for decades) ask me.
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:03   #19
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarfalla View Post
^^^^like I said buy a new car

Yep, that's what this guy did:

Made it just out of warranty.... and now he has to pay me to replace this:

Ah, new car indeed.... full of Chinese parts. This car has officially smoked past (no pun intended) my "old" Passat in terms of repairs, and it is over a decade newer! LMAO!!!

(oh, and there are not one, not two, but THREE Chinacool HVAC motors buried in the dash of the NMS Passat!).
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:12   #20
vwztips
Veteran Member

Yep, in the middle of deleting and converting to a manual my son's "new" 2005 Passat TDI wagon. Last night we were putting the flywheel on and even my 16 year old noticed the simplicity of the BHW and asked if that's why I like them so much. As stated many times in this forum, once you address the BSM, the only other 2 items is the cam (maybe) and transmission (again, maybe, or at least get 200k out of it), these are solid fun to drive cars. Not to mention MUCH cheaper on property taxes over new cars.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:13   #21
oilhammer

Sad thing is, the above pictured car has already had its water pump replaced too. And that is a HUGE job.... 5.9 hours labor. Yeah, there is no timing belt... but like that really makes a difference when the water pump fails LONG before a timing belt would be do AND costs more to do.

I tell ya, anyone that complains about something on an older car makes me laugh.

Oh, and the 2013 Chevy Cruze in the bay next to it.... getting its third turbocharger. Amazingly, it is somehow still on its original engine. A lot of the 1.4L turbos don't make it much past about 80k miles it seems.
Old May 16th, 2018, 20:35   #22
peiphil
Veteran Member

Buy a new car is not very good advise for an older person on a pension
Just thought someone may have seen this same thing before ?
No one around here on this island has a vagcom
Any way not going to throw any parts at it still runs normal

Last edited by peiphil; May 16th, 2018 at 20:46.
peiphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 03:32   #23
oilhammer

Lots of people have seen an MIL before. Nobody can know what it means until a scan tool is used. OBD has been around since the early '80s, and although VAG was a little slow to embrace it, even they have been using it in some form or another starting in the late '80s, and by mid '90s everything they sold here had it... so be default EVERY TDI has it. So it isn't exactly anything "new".

Your car is 13 years old... who has been taking care of it up until now? What car(s) did you have before this? I would find it hard to believe that with all your years of wisdom under your belt that this is the very first time a warning light has shown up on one of your cars' instrument panels, but maybe it is?
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:37   #24
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

Buy a Vagcom. Just think of it as a necessary part of the car, like a spare tire.
zzdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:51   #25
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdiesel View Post
Buy a Vagcom. Just think of it as a necessary part of the car, like a spare tire.
The Pontiac solstice/saturn sky didnt think a spare was necessary. It came with a can of fix a flat
Old May 18th, 2018, 09:44   #26
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

Insanity.
Old May 18th, 2018, 10:16   #27
oilhammer

Lots of cars don't carry spare tires. I've never needed one myself. And we get cars towed (rollback) in here every day with flats, even when they DO have one. So what's the point?
Old May 18th, 2018, 11:15   #28
PickleRick
Veteran Member

I have an oem size spare in my excursion but 35s on it. Im not sure how well a spare will work asside from a back road limp home. I keep AAA.
Old May 18th, 2018, 17:46   #29
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

I have needed them way to often to be without. 10 minute job verses What?
Old May 18th, 2018, 19:37   #30
afarfalla
Veteran Member

ahhh new car...the smell is infectious. Picked up a 2018 Equinox Premier for the wife, nice car, had a couple of guys in the back seems I unknowingly froze their bxlls off, pushed a few buttons then I froze my bxlls off, car in front of me braked a little quick, three bright red leds blasted on the heads-up along with a siren telling me to brake, in reverse you get a birds-eye view of the car alongside the tri colored goal post that bends as you turn, the drivers seat vibrates, car may have been ordered for a pimp? haven't figured what the vibrations are for? just a few modern conveniences that you find in a new car, wife is 75, your never too old for a new car, so keep plugging away at your dinosaur and remember you only go around once

I would have to do some major body work on my 09 Sky to fit any sort of spare in the trunk, if I get a flat Uber will get me home.
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote