www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 15th, 2018, 21:12   #16
Blacktree
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-45 mpg (mostly city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrick View Post
Hello everyone.

A friend of mine who lives in Germany and drives at autobahns quite often says that these TDI engines burn oil like crazy at high RPM. E.g. you can burn a liter of oil in 2 hours @ 3500 RPM.
You used the word "engines" in plural, so I'm assuming he has driven several, and they all did this? Or is he generalizing, based on one car?
Blacktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 21:50   #17
Henrick
Veteran Member

Not sure if he is generalizing based on one car.
You seem to be picky about the words.
I have just pointed a fact with a question in the 1st post. Why doesn't anyone want to discuss about the fact itself rather than the exact person, his driving style and engine?

Question is can this particular piston design contribute to oil burning past the piston rings or not?
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 05:50   #18
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

We are picky about words, as the devil is in the details as they say. In answer to the original question I do believe that lack of oil drainage from the rings can contribute to oil consumption. I remember cleaning the drain holes on many an oil burning Honda re-ring as they were plugged with carbon.

What no one has proven yet in this post is the fact that drain provision has been omitted on these engines. I have seen only ebay pictures of pistons with the rings intact. Many manufacturers cut a slot in the oil ring groove to the inside of the piston to allow drainage. I have cleaned many of those out on re-ring jobs too. I am reasonably sure that if you got actual hands on with a PD piston you will find the drainage slots behind the oil rings as is very common.

I agree with all the others too, that one person's comment is not necessarily fact. It is like saying "all Chevy small blocks burn oil" which we all know is a factual statement.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:30   #19
KLXD
Veteran Member

Quote:

A friend of mine who lives in Germany and drives at autobahns quite often says that these TDI engines burn oil like crazy at high RPM. E.g. you can burn a liter of oil in 2 hours @ 3500 RPM.
Come on, there is no way to interpret this except that he is saying they all do.

A lot of discussion followed.

These engines have been around since '98 in the States and longer in Europe and this is the first such generalization on oil burning that I've seen in my few years of reading this Forum.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5

Last edited by KLXD; May 16th, 2018 at 07:42.
KLXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:42   #20
KLXD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Then there came a theory that this may be done on purpose - to lubricate the cylinder walls and compression rings at high RPM to avoid excessive wear on the engine.
As for discussion I'll add my 2 cents on this point.

I doubt this is the intent. The point of the oil rings is to remove excess oil from the cylinder walls. I doubt there is a lack of oil there at 3500 rpm such that the oil rings are designed to ad more.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:39   #21
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Not sure if he is generalizing based on one car.
You seem to be picky about the words.
I have just pointed a fact with a question in the 1st post. Why doesn't anyone want to discuss about the fact itself rather than the exact person, his driving style and engine?

Question is can this particular piston design contribute to oil burning past the piston rings or not?
We question the validity of the "fact" concerning the piston design. We recognize the fact that the persons car used a Liter of oil in a very short time.
But hey, no harm bringing it up for discussion, kind of what forums are for.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:13   #22
Franko6

I reconsidered. I do have an opinion. I have a feeling this oil issue is something that can be isolated to an individual and their driving practices, not a group, unless you mean a group that thinks they need to drive at 240kmh for extended periods of time.

I can say that engines that have been driven excessively hard will anneal the rings and excessive blowby causes the oil control rings to become fouled. That will lead to excessive oil usage.

At that point, the rings should be replaced and the cylinder dimensionally checked and repaired, if necessary.

Also, we have rings and pistons that are designed for extreme load. Larger ring drop keeps them out of the heat. Diamond impregnated performance rings we sell reduce drag 6-8% and the oil control ring is dlc coated for additional wear protection.

Oil-galley cooled pistons, water/meth injection, large CR drop, and porting with the idea of EGT drops as a goal would certainly help. And carefully set injectors... real careful.

If a stock engine is pushed past it's reasonable limits, failure is imminent. You can't expect a 100hp engine or even a 150hp VW diesel engine to keep up with a BMW, Porsche or Mercedes Benz, let alone the exotic cars.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 17:28   #23
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

I lived in Germany for 10 years, I can tell you if the car burns that much oil,it had a big problem. I FREQUENTLY drove back to UK from Germany in different vehicles. 220 kph most of the way where law allowed (most of the time on the route 2) engine at about 4k-4.5k depending on car. Drove Opels , Renaults, skodas, Seats, audis, Mercedes, Volvos etc. Whatever I got given I gave it some on the autobahn. Interestingly the 3 cylinder opel corsa I drove was the worst and used half liter of oil after 2500 km. The rest didn't really move on the dipstick
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:18   #24
Henrick
Veteran Member

A lot of interesting ideas, thanks guys.
I think more investigation needs to be done on that particular engine. E.g. somehow to check how much oil goes through CCV. Need to think of a setup (probably a hose and a bottle) to check that...
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:41   #25
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

I think these are to collect oily vapor-
Catch Can Options - TDIClub Forums
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote