Can 5spd PD Jetta get 50+mpg like 5spd alh?

vdubber4life

Banned
TDI
mkiv, mkiii
I really like mkv jetta tdi... very beautiful cars. I only dont like their lower mpg than alh tdi. Is it possible thru chipping/cams etc to get similar mileage to 5spd alh tdi with a 5spd PD?

Also, how hard is it to make a pd 5spd jetta beat a 200hp 5spd alh? Does it take a lot to run down a 200whp alh?

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I know it is possible on the Mk IV PD Jetta's because mine does it routinely.

Normal interstate MPG is 52.5 at 73 mph indicated, 70 actual. This is with the RC1+ tune.

The larger, heavier Mk V car is tougher to do this with. Have you checked the monthly mileage competition and report thread?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
MY PD gets slightly better Highway mpg than my old ALH, the ALH got better around town though.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
When I pay attention my 16 mile commute brings 50mpg or better. I averaged 52 mpg+ for the first year of ownership.

Then my hours changed, and I was driving with the crowd, and unwilling to clog the road. My tanks vary from 47 to 52 mpg, depending upon many factors. I calculated every tank, but did not enter them into a spread sheet any longer. My guess is I average 49 mpg for the year.

On long interstate trips, at 80 mph, I get about 47 mpg.

vdubber4life

Banned
TDI
mkiv, mkiii
MY PD gets slightly better Highway mpg than my old ALH, the ALH got better around town though.
What does your pd get compared to the alh?

What are the best mods on a pd for economy? Tune and injectors and turbo? There doesn't seem to be a huge aftermarket (at least that I know of) for the PD's

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
The PD gets about 2 mpg better on the highway. I can get 53 or so if I go steady at 65mph, but I like to drive fast, at 80 i get 43-44 mpg.

Best bang is a 17 VNT and a stage 4 tune. Bigger injectors are $$$$$, but the stock ones will go to 150-160 hp.

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i've gotten 50+ on a few tanks through the years but it is hard to stay out of the throttle. i'd rather just accept the low 40s i get and drive it like i stole it....way more fun.

vdubber4life

Banned
TDI
mkiv, mkiii
So with bigger turbo, and stage 4 tune, and maybe good exhaust/down pipe, I could see 50mpg city driving like an alh?