Boraparts.com 02J 5 -> 6 speed Conversion Kits!

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Appreciate the update and understand.

Questions: How much does the extension add to the length of the transmission? I think you said 2.5 inches????

Can the kit be installed without removing the transmission from the car? (think not)

Will the .58 6th gear be ready for early adopters?

Thanks,

JJ

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I would have to ask my guy again, but I think it was 1 5/8" extension if I remember right.

Correct, transmission has to be removed for install. Transmission can stay in for conversion back to a 5 speed if you sell the car and wish to take it out later.

Looks like the first few kits will be fore .622 adopters. We're working on something in the .58 range. Obviously it's custom built as VW never had a gear that tall. Our prototype will have a straight cut gear - the idea is to see if the noise is noticable in 6th. If it is noisy then we need to do gears like VW does, which is more work and more $$ (I'd have to order a hundred or more sets, gets very expensive!). If it is not noisy then we have lots of cool options for taller gears. We could do a .50 or even taller gear, but the taller you go the weaker the gears get, so we'd probably stick to a .55ish as the tallest gear available (only if straight cut gears work).
Back to Turkey.
-BB

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
I would have to ask my guy again, but I think it was 1 5/8" extension if I remember right.

Correct, transmission has to be removed for install. Transmission can stay in for conversion back to a 5 speed if you sell the car and wish to take it out later.

Looks like the first few kits will be fore .622 adopters. We're working on something in the .58 range. Obviously it's custom built as VW never had a gear that tall. Our prototype will have a straight cut gear - the idea is to see if the noise is noticable in 6th. If it is noisy then we need to do gears like VW does, which is more work and more $$ (I'd have to order a hundred or more sets, gets very expensive!). If it is not noisy then we have lots of cool options for taller gears. We could do a .50 or even taller gear, but the taller you go the weaker the gears get, so we'd probably stick to a .55ish as the tallest gear available (only if straight cut gears work).
Back to Turkey.
-BB
So based on this you are offering a more affordable 02S option correct?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
So if you are using the .622 will that be a VW gear then or your custom made gear. I am happy with a .622 as I don't ever see myself needing anything taller. Thanks for the updates. Just hoping I don't need a clutch till you have this out there.

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Price is right around $1500 depending on what options you get. 1st kit is about to be installed, we just had some scheduling difficulties. In the month of Feb we will start the deposit list (I hope I don't regret that timeframe ;)

Seriously though that is what we're looking at now. I also expect sometime in Feb to be able to give you all updates with pics on the 1st install!

Thanks all, have a great weekend!
-BB

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
I will certainly be keeping my eyes on this. Maybe in about a year or so, since I'm fixing to put the 5spd in my car now and don't feel like pulling it that soon; I will wait for the bugs to be worked out. I don't think there will be any since you've been working on this for a few years...I've too much bad luck with brand new designs...

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I could definitely get on board with this. I would love a 6 speed like this. Just adding a .651 6th gear would be a big help!

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
Since I sit on the highway ALOT and I will cruise being in the south anywhere from 75-90...I'm going to drop 4th and 5th. From what I've read, I'm going to put the .658 5th in and when I do the 6th gear, probably go for the .5something I was reading about. I sent him an email a few days with lots of questions, so I will be patience for a response.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
Feb is coming to an end. Any updates for our blood thirsty TDIClub patrons?

"I keep throwing money at the screen, but nothing is happening." ;)

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Agree, I am hoping there is a kit before I need a clutch so I only need to take out of the car once. If it doesn't come out before my need of a clutch I may not be buying this.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Aaron,

Any tease pictures of the Kit yet?

Seriously, can you give us an update? Are you still waiting on parts or do you have the first test kit on hand?

Will you have anything at all for the SF GTG in late March???

Thanks,

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
Can this kit be used on MKV's? Wondering becuase I hate my mkV's 5-speed. i'd love something like a .756 5th (.84:1 stock) and a .622 6th as I drive a lot of highway and crsuise at 70-85 for long periods of time.

As a reference I have the following stock
R&P 3.65
1st 3.83
2nd 2.12
3rd 1.36
4th 1.04
5th 0.84

cruise at 80=3300 RPM. Looking to get my mkV into the 30 MPG range without doing a complete new tranmission.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Can this kit be used on MKV's? Wondering becuase I hate my mkV's 5-speed. i'd love something like a .756 5th (.84:1 stock) and a .622 6th as I drive a lot of highway and crsuise at 70-85 for long periods of time.

As a reference I have the following stock
R&P 3.65
1st 3.83
2nd 2.12
3rd 1.36
4th 1.04
5th 0.84

cruise at 80=3300 RPM. Looking to get my mkV into the 30 MPG range without doing a complete new tranmission.
An interesting question. Gonna go out on a limb here and say your MkV is NOT a TDI?

Either way, the 0A4 5 speed does appear to be very very similar to the 02J. I wouldn't be surprised if this kit works for the 0A4 as well...

BleachedBora

TDI
Should work on an 0A4, no problem. We can come to that bridge when we get there.
We are going to start taking deposits on April 1 for the first 5 kits. Here's another teaser pic (thumbnail).

-BB

PS Maybe we should do it the day after April fools day.... ;) Point is we're there. As was said before we've been waiting on the gears. We've actually set up three transmissions sent in for rebuilds with everything except the 6th gear already. For them it'll be just like doing a 5th gear mod!

BleachedBora

TDI
Hmm, yeah, let's stay away from the 1st of April. It's my Mother in Law's Birthday....oh wait, it's another day too. ;)

(And yes, it is her birthday, unfortunate day to announce the birth of a baby I guess).

The shift fork is the only welded part.

If you don't put oil in the transmission then everything else will be welded together too!

Custom upgraded 6th gear timeframe I'm checking on.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Hmm, yeah, let's stay away from the 1st of April. It's my Mother in Law's Birthday....oh wait, it's another day too. ;)

(And yes, it is her birthday, unfortunate day to announce the birth of a baby I guess).

The shift fork is the only welded part.

If you don't put oil in the transmission then everything else will be welded together too!
LOL!!!
Custom upgraded 6th gear timeframe I'm checking on.
My G3F kit is coming home with me in 3 weeks.. It sure would be nice if I could add a custom 6th gear to my 02J while it's out of the car... !

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Bump. Got a '96 Passat engine that's being assembled. >< This close to modifying my 02A to a 6 speed while it's out of the car!

bagdwag

Banned
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
Aaron, did this project die? There is now another company from overseas selling and shipping these out! I believe that they are the original manufactures of this product, just wondering how your project is going?

BleachedBora

TDI
Prpject didn't die - wife went into labor early and I've been catching up. Life happens unfortunately, literally in this case. ;)

Anyway, updated the website, these are ( finally) released. Thanks everyone for your patience!

-BB

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Prpject didn't die - wife went into labor early and I've been catching up. Life happens unfortunately, literally in this case. ;)

Anyway, updated the website, these are ( finally) released. Thanks everyone for your patience!

-BB

Congrats and hooray!

World's dumbest question: will the 6-speed gear map/indicator (that goes on the shift knob) be included? That individual part is replaceable (I've replaced mine twice now).

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Can someone please post a link for those of us who aren't really familiar with BoraParts drill down? I thought I knew my way around there. But I don't see it. Thanks!