Opel GT swap?

jimbobb2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I have found a clean Opel GT with a bad engine. I have access to a 2.0 TDI out of a 2009 Jetta. I can get all the wiring harness and computer with it. Is this a realistic swap to consider? I could eliminate all emissions because of the year, but am not sure that I could get it to run correctly if I did. I need to do some measuring and see how tight everything will be, but just thought I would ask to see how realsistic it is to consider?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Using the Acme adapter and Toyota 5 spd gearbos, about the only issue is one of the engine fitting. Since the Opel started with a 1.9 litre four banger, there SHOULD be enough room.

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
Is this the Opel that looked like a 'Mini-Vette' from the early '70's?

If so, this will HONK with 140hp and 236 ft/lbs! Those Opels can't weigh much more than 2000lbs !

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Too bad my GT is so rotted, (I am pretty sure most of the ones around here are) otherwise I would have considered it! I will take a few measurements, not sure it the bay is tall enough for the TDI, and Opel GT's with hoodscoops look kinda tacky...I know of V8's fitting no problem, so I am assuming its wide enough..Must be capable of wicked good mileage though considering its so slippery shaped

babyrattler

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Green
Funny you should mention an Opel GT TDI swap. I was just looking at them last week. I think if you don't do it, some of the forum members may hunt you down. :) That should be an awsome ride.

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
Have there been any updates on this project? I have always considered a Resto-Mod Opel GT... such a beautiful car, with such a worthless power-train.

I think a lightly tuned 2.0 TDI would make it a blast to drive, and if I can source a good chassis, for relatively cheap (which shouldn't be to hard considering how gutless the original car was) it should cost too terribly much. Let me know if anyone has tried, and what challenges you encountered.

Anyone remember project Sipster? "A 70mpg, 7-second 0-60 daily driver for $7,000?" I think you beat the 0-60, but likely no where near beat the 70 MPG (would rather have a stylish car that can pull 55 MPG), and not for under 7K... because again, style and fun, would be more important to me than MPG, the MPG would just be a bonus on a fun unique build :D

Thanks.