700 Mile club Who's in?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
manual stock :D. Its all in the driver, and avoiding that 695 **** show lol
Hahaha! I just noticed that you are in Maryland. Manual stock here as well.

I wholeheartedly understand the 695 reference. I can actually get a little better mileage driving the back roads home vs 695.

The best I can get is about 50mpg or so on the dream meter. Most of my tanks average 40-42mpg. So hard to stay away from those torquez :p

euro2fast4u

TDI
'14 JSW Tdi
What i basically did was keep the speed low ~58-60mph no electronics, no windows opening or closing, no radio, no phone charging, no ac or heat,

I determined a while back that 70°F outside air temp is about the best temp you can get for mpg. The week i completed this, it averaged 72°F maybe a little higher.

shift early and pretend there is an egg under your foot. (max of 1800 rpms)

Often times by the time i got to Frederick, i would get cramps lol.

I would also use an energy balance, swapping potential with kinetic energy going up and down the hills. Accelerate going down the hill slowly, and decelerate going up.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'll give that a shot. Seems doable :D

Edit...
Actually last night on my way home from Westminster I got 51mpg on avg 1.

Pretty much had the cruise on and hit 3 stop lights on 140. Other than that once I got in 795 right lane travel at 65 mph and on 695 between 60-70.

Sunroof cracked to allow air to come in through the vent. Actually I think I had the AC on for the first half of the trip too.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Haven't filled yet - but my 2000 NB is over 700 Miles right now. I'd estimate I could make this an 800 mile tank if I wanted to go into the low fuel zone bad enough.

And no - my car is NOT stock :D and it is NOT optimized for economy.

Actual for tank - 717.6 miles, 14.235 gallons 50.4110 MPG - Best tank ever !!!!!!

And this is with 335092 miles on the car

Last edited:

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Nine-hundred one miles!

Not bad considering the first 100+ miles of this tank were spent cruising around Yellowstone NP with frequent stops. The rest was spent heading south to Salt Lake City, then west on I-80. I filled up in Mill City, NV.

Lessons learned:
#1 - The difference between setting cruise on 65 and 72 is huge.

#2 - The TDI loves thin air. Up until recently, I thought it loved heat. Heat helps, but after driving through some cooler temps at >7000', I believe the increased fuel economy in hot weather is largely due to the fact that hot air is less dense.

If I didn't have to stop overnight in SLC the middle of this tank, I think I could have broken the 1k mile mark.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Nine-hundred one miles!

Not bad considering the first 100+ miles of this tank were spent cruising around Yellowstone NP with frequent stops. The rest was spent heading south to Salt Lake City, then west on I-80. I filled up in Mill City, NV.

Lessons learned:
#1 - The difference between setting cruise on 65 and 72 is huge.

#2 - The TDI loves thin air. Up until recently, I thought it loved heat. Heat helps, but after driving through some cooler temps at >7000', I believe the increased fuel economy in hot weather is largely due to the fact that hot air is less dense.

If I didn't have to stop overnight in SLC the middle of this tank, I think I could have broken the 1k mile mark.

What is that app you are using? I use fuelly.com (SMS + web UI) to track just enough data to keep me pacified. I use Scangauge II for live in-car monitoring of all things. :)

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Road Trip • MPG, Mileage and Fuel Economy by Darren Stone
https://appsto.re/us/_htYr.i

It's not as "socially interactive" as Fuelly, but effectively monitors so many aspects of overall vehicle expenses, it's worth the compromise to me.

I also track business miles with Automatic (a recent update made the fuel economy figures grossly inaccurate) and a SGII in the car.

cbman18j

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI (First Diesel)
I did it offically.

Here is my first official 700+ tank. I did it once earlier but I had disconnected my battery so no pic. :-( Here I did it this time with proof. Most of this was 90% highway with my speed mostly +5 over posted limits. and my last ~40 miles I drafted off a semi. It took ~15.686 gallons to fill back to the neck

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Never thought I'd join this club in a Mk6, not with MY commute. But I've been driving smarter lately:

The tank accepted 14.3 gallons. :)

Scott

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Never thought I'd join this club in a Mk6, not with MY commute. But I've been driving smarter lately:

http://www.stealthtdi.com/Forums/700-MileClub.jpg

The tank accepted 14.3 gallons. :)

Scott
That thing stock?! By my calculation that's tapping 50mpg :eek:

The very best I've gotten is 45mpg when I was trying to get decent mpg... Then I said aww forget this and drove normal (for Baltimore). Normally get 41mpg on the highway and mid to upper 30's in the city. It's not great, but it's still better than all of my previous Hondas (all 4 bangers with manual transmissions) :D

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It was a few summers back, but between Reno and Tulsa with the cruise set at 75 we consistently got 52 mpg. That was done with a Stage 3 tune and .205 nozzles. If I would have locked in at 65 mph,we possibly could have gotten another 5 mpg.
The real trick will be with .230 nozzles and a 17/56 to see what kind of mileage I can get now.

servant

TDI
01 1.9 alh tdi a4
I quite often was getting 800+ to a tank in my 01 1.9 46 psi on tires, clutch was bad, vacuum lines were killing the car, exhaust wasn't great no cruise control, bad alignment.. my goal once she's patched up is 1k miles to tank to start with..

200k on the motor and 400k on the body... she's in recovery mode right now

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I made it in this morning:

703 miles over the past 9 days on a 2013 TDI. Mostly cruise control, mostly 8-9 over the limit.

23800 miles.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
Is this about having sex in the back seat of a vw every 700 miles? :D Or feeling like your about to get screwed if your run it dry... Yes I have had several 700 mile tanks... on summer fuel and mostly highway... And with a tailwind,, almost 800 a couple of times, but chickened out when the first diesel station came up.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Here's mine. I could get to 800 if I didn't floor it everywhere.

2010 sedan, stage 3.5. Hit 100k on this tank and got a speeding ticket.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's mine. I could get to 800 if I didn't floor it everywhere.

2010 sedan, stage 3.5. Hit 100k on this tank and got a speeding ticket.
Ha ha! Nice, very nice. :D

Hey, can you point me to how you got the advanced measurements to display in your MFD?

sid87

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI, 2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Getting that extra 1/2 gallon in the tank by filling it all the way up the filler neck paid off...hit 704.6 miles on our 2015 Jetta DSG TDI. It was iffy since the trip computer said zero miles left for the final 10 miles! It took 14.904 gallons to refill.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting that extra 1/2 gallon in the tank by filling it all the way up the filler neck paid off...hit 704.6 miles on our 2015 Jetta DSG TDI. It was iffy since the trip computer said zero miles left for the final 10 miles! It took 14.904 gallons to refill.
Nice, you still some more miles. :D Back to back 700+ tanks in my 09 Jetta and I fill to fuel every single fill up.

BonjiB

TDI
1997 VW Jetta TDI
I'm in da clurb!

I DID IT FINALLY! This is the first tank in the 2 years I've owned my car that I got over 700 miles on! 703.2 when I filled up. 48 MPG!!! WOO HOOO!!! I'm one of the cool kids now. lol!

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
finally/again

It's been a long time since I've been over 700 but I set a new PR in my jsw - 748miles at 50.02mpg!

Electrodynamic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta/Bora TDI
First tank I've filled up since purchasing the car:

Date: 5/10/2016
Driver: Electrodynamic
Miles: 734
Gallons: 15.656
Model Year: 2003
Model: Jetta
Tranny: 6M
Fuel Type: ULSD

MPG: 46.9
Odometer: 257,918

I drove this car like I did my previous Jetta which is not too light. My last TDI got better fuel mileage when you would floor it here and there opposed to taking it easy. May have been the fuel, etc, but the phenomenon happened twice when I took it easy twice. Hence the way I drove my last '03 TDI.

But this tank I am going to take it easy and see what kind of fuel mileage I'm able to get out of my new (new to me) TDI. I'd like to see if I can make it to 800 miles on one tank. :D