Service in South East Wisconsin?

mbuna

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Where do you all go for service in South East Wisconsin? In particular I'm looking for a good place for oil changes that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

The prices I've been seeing lately are between $70-$80 for an oil change!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
JasonTDI is in Madison. I don't know if you consider that SE or not. But you can't do better.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
A referral for JasonTDI from south Boston. Peter you are the best, and so is Jason!

Dan

mbuna

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks. Unfortunately Jason is about 130 miles from me. Kind of far to go for an oil change. :)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Not far at all. You have a TDI right?

I drove 400 miles for an oil change. This was at a GTG though....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
FOr just an oil change? Jason is a fanatic and if you get out of there with "just and oil change" you didn't listen. A TDI fanatic will change your oil, then spend hours telling you about the rest of your car. What's wrong, what's right, what you can do to improve things why you don't ever want to go to a dealer for anything.

The extra $15-$20 or so in fuel will be a cheap investment.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
mbuna said:
Thanks. Unfortunately Jason is about 130 miles from me. Kind of far to go for an oil change. :)
Man, I'll drive that far for a burger. You sound like you are pushing the car, not driving it!!:D

I do drive over an hour to get to GT when I need service....(KC to Sedalia, MO.) I usually plan to get a really good tenderloin while in his town.

Bill

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Amen to what both Bill (40x40) and Whitedog have to say. As a newbie you are in the learning stage as a TDI owner. Hell, most of us veteran members are in the learning stage too! Just joining this site means that you want to learn so take advantage of the resources at your disposal. Jason is a fantastic TDI wrench. Plus he is an outgoing type that likes people. Make an appointment and go listen to what he tells you. He won't BS you or try to blow smoke up your backside when it comes to your TDI. Fishing or personal stories might be a different matter though. Anyway, the bottom line is that he will do the work right the first time and you will learn lots about your car too! That's worth a few extra miles of driving any day of the week, in my opinion anyway.

Dan

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
i changed my own oil. all by myself.

there is an amsoil rep not far away of kr and rte 31 for oil and filter. pm me and i will get you his number. come to the bratstop on hwy 50 off 94 in kenosha and lets talk thursday. 530 until o maybe 9 ish.

everything is a learning experience.

Last edited:

mbuna

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
It's not that I don't think Jason is worth it, I had actually already emailed him about doing my timing when it needs it.

The main issue is I work 70+ hours a week and drive 800-1000 miles a week. Add that to having 3 small children at home and it means I can't take another 4+ hours driving up to Jason's. That's why I'm looking for something closer to home, something I could hit on my way back home after work etc.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I don't know what they charge, but there's a place in Burlington you could call to ask. Burlington Import Auto. They specialize in VWs. I have not checked them out for TB changes, though, so I'm unsure in that respect. I have had some minor work done by them on my car and they did a good job on it. Good luck finding something.

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
Hi, mbuna ~ I can sure relate to not wanting to drive to Mad-city for "little stuff", even though Jason's work is definitely worth the trip!
Where are you in SE Wisconsin and where do you work?
'Cause user MiksTDI also does good side-work. He's located in Lake Villa IL, and his wife just added triplets to the family last month.
If that fits into your agenda, give him a call.

Good summer to you!
Kharmin

mbuna

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks Kharmin.

I work in Milwaukee in and live in Union Grove. I travel all over the east side of the state, basically everything east of Oconomowoc.

I'll trop MiksTDI a note.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
mbuna said:
Where do you all go for service in South East Wisconsin? In particular I'm looking for a good place for oil changes that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

With a Pella, an oil change is about 30 min. without using ramps.

Ben

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
mbuna said:
Thanks Kharmin.

I work in Milwaukee in and live in Union Grove. I travel all over the east side of the state, basically everything east of Oconomowoc.

I'll trop MiksTDI a note.
If willing to drive a bit farther out I-94 to Lake Mills there is Topel"s. Dan, the owner, has always been fair to me. 920-648-8115 www.topels.com

Ben

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Good quality synthetic oil is $8 a quart x's 5 for some extra plus $8 for a filter. I charge $60. You get an inspection with that too. kind of a loss leader for most shops to get you in. $12 for half an hour is a DEAL. Now you know why dealers charge so much. add in huge overhead and WC insurance.....

shepner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
mctdi said:
With a Pella, an oil change is about 30 min. without using ramps.
Have to agree with that. A Pella is a worthwhile investment and does a great job!

For the few things that JasonTDI cant/wont do, Ive found that EVS in Menomonee Falls has been fairly reliable. Its a dealer so the rates are high but they seem to do good work for the little that Ive had them do. Also, the last time I needed to buy a case of oil (with the correct VW spec) I had found their price was reasonable.

stephen

jasonTDI

TDI
The TXT is $6 my cost for oil now. That is a great deal.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
mbuna said:

Also, for starters, if you can make it:

http://http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=153659

Some times no-one can make-it to the meeting, some times lots of people.

Ben

ShaneTbolt

TDI
Jetta, 2002, blue
I may still have a $5.00 off coupon on an oil & filter change at HAL VW in Brookfield. If someone wants it I'll check to see if I still have it, I'll give it away if I still have it. But there will be a $5 delivery charge if I have to deliver :)

jasonTDI

TDI
That place is the biggest SHI***** on the planet. They couldn't fix a VW right if they were actually trained....