Cheap timing belt kit for TDI BRM amazon.ca $94

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
I just picked up one of these, I know it isn't as good as the other kits (aka Dieselgeek) but on a bit of a shoestring budget at the moment.

Gates TCK333 Timing Belt Kit for 2006 Jetta TDI

Only a few left @ $94 cdn each. Considering the exchange rate now, I think this is a good deal.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001UC9FKI/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1

I also picked up the Waterpump for $85 (I have amazon prime so shipping was free for me).

Cheers

drew80a

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI
And to save even more money I'm gonna try running water instead of oil. 5l oil=$40. 5l water=$2

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Gambling with timing belt kits is a fools bet, IMO. I understand the money issue but too many here have saved now and paid big later using this logic. For some, it's the coup de gras for the car. Even INA idlers aren't what they used to be, thinner walls. I wouldn't even consider using anything less, money or not. Same applies for the WP and belt. It's your car but it's also been demonstrated here many times, a TB job is fault intolerant.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Guys, it's the same kit sold by idparts... I don't know why people jump to conclusions just because it's amazon.ca

http://www.idparts.com/brm-timing-belt-kit-p-931.html

The only thing that the amazon.ca kit doesn't include is the serpentine belt and all the hardware for the install

OP let us know who the part manufacture is, i'd be surprised if it's a china knockoff

Last edited:

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly... I just bought a luk 17-050 kit off amazon.ca for 275 taxes in with free shipping and it is an original luk clutch kit

http://www.amazon.ca/LUK-17-050-LuK...TF8&qid=1449708245&sr=1-1&keywords=luk+17-050

If the kit is sold from gates and sale is fulfilled by amazon.ca I would be very surprised if the parts are china knockoffs

That LUK clutch is only worth that much money. If that. Flywheel shudders like mad with any torque at a from a properly set up tdi. Flywheels get loose as hell. I have a pile of them pulled out. Waste of labour.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
That LUK clutch is only worth that much money. If that. Flywheel shudders like mad with any torque at a from a properly set up tdi. Flywheels get loose as hell. I have a pile of them pulled out. Waste of labour.
Right... then I guess the shop everyone recommends here would have/should have steered me away from the kit if it's so bad...

I also guess everyone else is ripping people off charging 400+ for the kit

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Yea, anyways the thread isn't about my clutch kit... I read good things about it on the forums here so I doubt they're as bad as you say... to each his own

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Yea, anyways the thread isn't about my clutch kit... I read good things about it on the forums here so I doubt they're as bad as you say... to each his own

Unfortunately this is the problem. Had probably a half dozen people come with one of these freshly installed ready to mod because they read on the forums it's good, always ends in ripping it back out. Wasted money.

I would be sure the belt kit has ina rollers, others don't seem to last very long.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
Good price! Thanks for the heads up. Just grabbed one. Kit also fits BHW and BEW.

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
That price does sound too good to be true, but Amazon has surprised me in the past as well. As an owner of a BRM I would be very interested to see what was included in the kit and original impression of the quality of each part. Likewise in another 128K what the condition of the parts were?

I currently use Autocamping timing belt kit and it is about 3 times the price of this one but does include the water pump.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
The kit is $65US at Rock Auto so the price isn't that crazy. But like dklopfer said, considering the exchange rate... The water pump is $75 from Roseland and there is usually about $30 worth of bolts in the more expensive kits like the $250 one from Roseland so it really only saves you a few bucks. But hey, it's enough to buy a case of beer to drink while you do the job!

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Received my items Friday, its just a basic Timing belt kit. Inside is:

038 109 119P 100K Timing Belt, Made in UK
Gates T43091 Belt Tensioner, stamped Litens.
Gates T41229 Belt Tensioner, just stamped gates and the part number.

And I just ordered a Serpentine belt from RockAuto for $7.46 (googled the part number - shows its a Gates branded). Shipping cost me more. Oh well.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
But it's cheap and from Amazon.ca so it must be China...

Goes to show that with some searching you can find good parts for a good price on sites you wouldn't expect

Last edited:

cohomology

TDI
Jetta
Sorry to bring this old thread back. But if I order this kit, where to get the bolts and nuts from?

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Sorry to bring this old thread back. But if I order this kit, where to get the bolts and nuts from?
Pretty sure any parts store with an Auto Camping account can get you the tty bolts. Sale Auto in stouffville always came through for me and every bag was labelled auto camping.

cohomology

TDI
Jetta
Thank you for the replay. However, I never heard of "auto camping account" before. Is it a Canadian thing? I am actually from south of the boarder and just bumped into this thread by search.

Pretty sure any parts store with an Auto Camping account can get you the tty bolts. Sale Auto in stouffville always came through for me and every bag was labelled auto camping.

TOPH R

Veteran Member
TDI
Stupid GMC 2500HD non diesel :(
Its a Canadian parts supplier for german parts...try idparts down south.