Friday night test...

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Fiat Multpla dude? Ugly beast but supposedly a nice motor. (not my opinion)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, they've been around for a while over here lol. I could delete my post to give someone else a bash at it lol.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yeah, they've been around for a while over here lol. I could delete my post to give someone else a bash at it lol.
Nah, that's OK. Leave it. I was bored and it's going to rain this weekend here in Texas. I can't wait to see what Fiat brings to the U.S. now that they have part of Chrysler.:confused:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I generally like it when designers get "out of the box". But geez, that one is hard to take.

Looks like it hit the back of a tractor trailer.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How much luggage does that fish hold and what's the handling like and running costs?:D

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I was driving a country road in south carolina years ago.. Had to pull over to unload some "processed" coffee. On the shoulder where I stopped was a burned patch in the grass. Hmm, car fire. In the debris was something that caught my eye. A chunk of metal spelling out "DMC". Still have it somewhere.

What's the chances of that???

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That one is the outgoing Nissan Micra, certainly some odd proportions on that one.

I'm going through the Bloomberg "fiftiest ugliest cars" list that aja8888 posted and I'm finding a lot on there that don't deserve being there.

El Camino (and for that matter, the Subaru Brat)? Sure, it's not really a truck and not really a car and a bit of both, but ugly? Naaaah.

And the New Beetle is on their list ... ? ? ?

The East German Wartburg isn't ugly, it's just a plain bland box.

I don't find the Pinto particularly ugly compared with other cars of that era, either.

Volvo 240? Ugly? No ... functional and practical, but not ugly. Sure, it's a "brick". That's what makes it what it is.

Chevette? Plain ... but not ugly. Not too different from other cars of its era.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I guess they just had to have 50 of them so they had to make some choices. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. But, there are some in that group that would make anyone's ugly list!

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
That one is the outgoing Nissan Micra, certainly some odd proportions on that one......
Almost, but not quite. It's listed as a "K12 March Cal Pepper Froggy" from a company called "Blow" in Japan. It's based on the Nissan March, but they re-do the body to emulate a Beetle. It's the same company that gives us the "Lapin - Free Rider" (Chevy Blazer lookalike), the "Hiace 200 - Papa Rider" (Dodge A100 van lookalike), and other Americanized microvans/microtrucks/cars in that other planet we call Japan.

Edited to reflect it being based on a Nissan March, not a Micra.

Last edited:

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Maybe with a little luck, we can get the Chinese auto companies to clone this classic jewel:

:D:D
Hey! I almost bought a new Pacer X back in '75. I liked it's "out of the box" thinking, but I bought a new Chevy Laguna Type S-3 instead....and was very glad I did. It was a far better chick magnet than the Pacer would have been. :D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Hey! I almost bought a new Pacer X back in '75. I liked it's "out of the box" thinking, but I bought a new Chevy Laguna Type S-3 instead....and was very glad I did. It was a far better chick magnet than the Pacer would have been. :D
Weren't those '70s great? I had a 65 Vette Stingray roadster and BSA Lightening motorcycle...;):cool: (what happened??)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Hey, I'd totally rock a Wartburg.

Dead simple 3-cylinder 2-stroke drivetrain, and it's a mildly improved version of the 1938 DKW F9 prototype, which on the other side of the wall, spawned the lineage that ultimately led to today's Audi A4 through a few generations (DKW Sonderklasse/3=6 F91/93/94, Auto Union 1000, DKW F102, Audi F103 (a 4-cylinder 4-stroke F102, sold under various model numbers, one of which was the Audi 80,) and then the VAG B platform cars.) And they're pretty cheap in Europe, too. It'd be a fun car to tinker with. (Under no delusions about them being GOOD cars, although apparently they were quite durable. It's just got an interesting lineage, is simple, and would be fun to have and tinker with. Many other projects I want to do first, though.)

Oh, and as for the Multipla, they fired the designer for that one. :p The punchline, however, is that BMW hired him. (And then he proceeded to do something original in the automotive industry: rip off the Koreans. "Bangle butt" should be called "Hyundai butt," Bangle didn't come up with it.)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Edited to reflect it being based on a Nissan March, not a Micra.
March = Micra depending on where you are in the world. Same car. I didn't pick up in that photo that it had been modified, though! We got the original March (Japanese name) / Micra (Canada/Europe) in the mid 1980's. I know the outgoing March/Micra has a bubbly front end with headlights reaching way back towards the windshield. If it's a Japanese-market model it would have officially been a March.

There is a conversion for a Subaru Sambar van to make it look like the old VW Type 1 "bus"

The cartoonish copies of older American trucks and vans are hilarious!