Please Any Feedback on Morimoto H7 LED bulbs in OEM housings

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I am thinking of trying the Morimoto H7 LED bulbs in OEM 2003 Golf OEM headlights with regular reflectors. Looking improved light output not blind anyone. The person at TRS said I would not blind anyone if my reflectors are adjusted correctly. I have done a couple retrofits with Morimoto Mini H1's and HIDs on my Jetta but have never tried these LED units directly into OEM housings.. They are supposed to be plug and play without any harness.. they are supposed to connect directly to the H7 connector and the pigtail tucked into the housing.
Seems like a slick solution but I really don't want to blind anyone.
Is anyone using this set up? would love any feedback... tnx

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h7-led-headlight-bulbs-morimoto-2stroke-LED-2STROKE-H7?quantity=1

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I read about drivers putting LED bulbs directly into the OEM housings while researching lighting upgrades. The sensitive thing to do would be to adjust the light patterns a little lower so you can still get the road illuminated while not blinding the oncoming drivers. From time to time I do get drivers behind me which I swear have not adjusted their LED lights that just make my eyes squint and tear up the gift is so strong.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
I had LEDs in my reflector 2015 Passat housings. When they say "adjusted" they consider adjusting the housing down so as to not blind oncoming vehicles.....guess where my high beams now pointed? Point to make is, I lost high beams because they occupied the pretty much the same "pattern" as the lows..the lows were bright....and high. Got tired of getting flashed and blinding drivers in front of me as I drove behind them......

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Maybe but probably not. Putting HID, LED, etc. "conversions" in housings designed for halogen bulbs is problematic. It's also rarely legal, although nobody seems to check. The light produced by the HID/LED emitters are in different located from optimal for the halogen reflectors. I can imagine the engineers that designed these light housings face-palming when this is done. The scatter of light due to poor placement of the emitters is what blinds everyone else. You want to do it correctly? Jeff Rudzinsky used to build lights with HID projectors retrofitted into factory housings. This works as the emitters and reflectors are designed for each other. I have Jeff's and they are flawless, they don't blind others and the light is much improved over stock. Or build your own. These "conversions" are the domain of the fart can crowd of nitwits.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Well, the LEDs the OP posted look like the new type, with a geometry closer to the halogen geometry. The LEDs are in a thin linear array, and closer to the centerline of the bulb, so the light emitting surfaces look much more similar to a halogen filament wire coil.

I had good results putting LEDs of that type into my 2002 BMW motorcycle. The low beam cutoff is very sharp, with as little or less leakage above the line as the original H1s, so the geometry seems to be correct.
I have not tried putting this type of LED into my Sportwagon, since it didn't/doesn't need an upgrade as urgently as the BMW did.

PS: The link in the first post does not work, but those morimotos from retrofit seem unnecessarily expensive: $135 for a pair?
I paid 40 bucks for my Hikaris.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Link fixed... Thank you for all the informative and helpful responses ...
seem to struggle finding good options to retrofit both my MKIV Golf

The Morimoto Mini H1 projectors seem a tad too long to fit in the housings of both... definitely some dremeling or grinding of material needed to make them fit

MINIMUM HOUSING DEPTH REQUIRED : 117mm

OEM unmodified housing depth is about 100 mm

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bixenon-morimoto-mini-h1-stage-3?quantity=1

For now I just upgraded the Golf to new glass lenses and some OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7.. still looking for more light output though

EDIT:

Was at first looking for an easy plug and play option to get more light output on the Golf ... then considered a retrofit but not an easy plug and play so I abandoned this plan ... absolutely not plug and play... will require lots of dremeling and lots of epoxying ... this is the back of my Jetta retrofitted reflector.. way more work than am looking for here..

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Check out Candlepower.com. They have some pretty good info and higher wattage bulbs available. I’ve had pretty good luck with just better bulbs, sorry I can’t remember the exact product. Just don’t go too crazy and melt wires or housings. Good luck , John

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
tothemax, now you posted a completely different product. What are you actually looking for? LED bulbs, or replacement headlights, or something else?

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tothemax, now you posted a completely different product. What are you actually looking for? LED bulbs, or replacement headlights, or something else?
Apologies for the confusion... was looking for all plug and play options for better light output in my OEM e-codes for my 03 golf.. Many have been using the Morimoto LEDs in the OEM housings with proper adjustments, it does not blind other drivers.. was asking for feedback to see if anyone here had used the Morimoto LEDs in OEM reflector housings. Am not thinking of another retrofit in my Golf... unless it was just plug and play which it is not because of the limited space.

Am all set for my 03 Jetta ... Have Morimoto minis in there with 4300 K HID's awesome light output... They are the absolute cat's meow

Will call the guys at http://candlepower.com/ for sure as one other member recommended...

Thank you all for the great suggestions :)

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I think you should be fine ... I bought supernova v4 bulbs from headlight revolution for my Jetta and they are great ( i think the same site sells the morimoto 2 strokes which are supposed to be a good few lumen brighter).

I liked the light output so much on my jetta i bought additional V4s for my other 3 vehicles ...

I have not personally tried the 2 strokes tho...

Check out the site and you tube video ... lots of tests and info there.

FWIW candle power forums are anti led lights but once you see what good leds can do you won't go back... and yes there are good LEDs and leds that are not good ... I have a small box full of various bulbs I've tried seeking the power of the sun. ;-)

Inthestix

TDI
'96 Passat, '12 JSW,'09 Sedan
Just a note for anyone visiting this old thread, apparently Candlepower.com is currently closed (at least according to the link above).