2002 Golf TDI GLS 5-Speed

neljoshua

TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS
For sale is our 2002 VW Golf TDI GLS. It has been a great car but our growing family required the purchase of a larger vehicle as we can no longer all fit.

This car is not perfect, but it is in very good condition and has been well maintained. The link to the CL posting is below, but I have copied the information here. The car is located in Bennett, CO (80102).

https://eastco.craigslist.org/cto/6153671540.html

___

For sale is our 2002 VW Golf TDI GLS. It has a 5-speed manual transmission. It is in very good condition and has been well maintained by a VW enthusiast. The car runs great and gets good fuel economy (my average over the last 70k miles has been 46.8 mpg). The timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, etc were all changed about 5000 miles ago. Oil has been changed every 5000 miles with Shell Rotella T6.

The paint and interior are in good condition. Almost all of the electronics work (see list below for the issues). There is no visible rust on the body, but there are a few chips and scratches as to be expected.

Upgrades/modifications:
-Mud flaps
-Rubber floor mats
-Rear hatch wired to lock and unlock with driver's door
-Radio wired to work with 1/8" jack (headphone); this mod renders the tape player unusable (as it uses the tape circuitry as an input), but I do not listen to tapes anyway. With this mod (internal wiring, not just a tape adapter), there is no tape hiss.
-Aluminum skid plate
-Euro-style headlight switch
-VW R 5-speed shift knob (well worth the $120 I paid for it in my opinion)
-Center armrest delete with cover
-Brass oil drain valve for easy of draining oil
-Frostheater block heater
-New clip-style engine cover mounts
-Blue silicon vacuum hoses
-Front grill covers (for use in winter to keep the engine warm)

Recent maintenance:
-Complete timing belt replacement (about 5000 miles ago). Included timing belt, timing belt tensioner, idler pulleys, thermostat, water pump, thermostat housing, serpentine belt, serpentine belt pulley, fresh coolant
-Fresh oil and filter change
-Replaced shocks, springs, rear axle bushings, front subframe bushings, control arm bushings (about 10000 miles ago)
-Replaced tires (about 10000 miles ago)
-Injection pump seals replaced (about 10000 miles ago)

No used car that I have ever seen is perfect, and this one is not an exception. The interior has a few stains, but is in good shape overall. All of the electronics work with the exception of the fuel door release (it is broken and just needs to be opened by hand from the outside) and the right rear window/lock. The right rear window rolls up and down from the driver's seat, but the switch on the door does not work. The lock on the same door does not always work. I believe the issue is in the door wiring harness (this just showed up in the last few months). The hood/front fenders have a few small chips. There is a scratch along the left side (thanks to a scooter). The left rear wheel well has a small ding, as does the front right door. The rear exhaust bracket has broken; the muffler is currently held up with a strap, but a quick bit of welding would fix it. Overall the car is in great shape, but I am trying to be thorough.

This car has been reliable and enjoyable; we have owned it since 150k miles. We are selling it because our family is growing and we can no longer all fit in it.

Asking price is listed above. The sub, amp, and cap are not included. I am willing to consider offers, but please do not waste my time. I am not interested in trades. We have a clean Colorado title in hand.

Last edited:

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Do you just use something to pry open the fuel door? It won't break?

Does the right rear door lock work if you just push the button down?

neljoshua

TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS
Mass. Wine Guy,

The tab for the fuel door is broken, so one can open it by hand (it no longer locks). You cannot tell from the outside that it is broken. When you push the fuel door unlock button, there is no noise, so I suspect the switch or solenoid is a problem.

The right rear door locks and unlocks with the rest of the doors 90% of the time. If you push the button down, it does lock normally.