www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old April 26th, 2017, 12:41   #3781
Galo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbdesigns View Post
(snip)
I replaced it with a 2015 GTI 6mt.
i am quite happy with the GTI. it is very peppy compared to the passat. it drives very nice and precise. it is of course a little harsher of a ride with stiffer spring and damper rates and a shorter wheel base. but i don't mind that.
Precisely why I want to try the upcoming MQB GLI. Ride-wise, it should fall between the sportier GTI and softer than my wife's A3 which has stunning chassis dynamics. Could be the perfect car for me...

And yes, my wife's DGS A3 has gotten as many as 41.2 MPG on the highway, at speeds up to 70-72 mph. Stunning car....I love that MQB platform.
Galo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:58   #3782
dropnosky
Veteran Member

Im looking at some nice used Volvo V70s under 5 grand for the mrs. VW is going to pay off her student loan debt while she drives something much cheaper.

Job done, an opportunity I am not going to miss to make a lump sum payment, and eliminate both car payment and loan payment birds with the same stone
dropnosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 07:07   #3783
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Good plan. We used part of the Golf money to pay towards my oldest's school loans. Puts her payments in a little more reachable catagory.
Old April 27th, 2017, 11:33   #3784
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galo View Post
Precisely why I want to try the upcoming MQB GLI. Ride-wise, it should fall between the sportier GTI and softer than my wife's A3 which has stunning chassis dynamics. Could be the perfect car for me...

And yes, my wife's DGS A3 has gotten as many as 41.2 MPG on the highway, at speeds up to 70-72 mph. Stunning car....I love that MQB platform.
A VW MBQ GLI really could be a game changer! I love the utility of the Golf/GTI form, but sedans also have merits. Back in the day, my wife had a GLI that was truly remarkable. It was nothing like the watered down Jetta of today. I think I'll still choose a GTI, because of a great memories I have driving cross-country with my camping gear many years ago, but it'll be interesting to consider an MQB GLI.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP!

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 12:11   #3785
redbrick1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 JSW TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Having sat in an Ioniq and a Niro at the Detroit Auto Show, the back seat of the Niro is far roomier. Cargo room... the Ioniq's probably longer, but the Niro's got a taller cargo area?
Yes, agree. Same platform, but very different spaces inside.
For me, the Niro much more usable, despite the slightly lower mpg.
Old April 27th, 2017, 12:49   #3786
NAZ TDI
Veteran Member

Got my replacement last week. A 'new' 2015 Jetta DTI! Love it!
My 'old' car was a 2011 Jetta TDI. I wandered into Boise VW last week to check on the 2015 TDI's that were just released to sell. They had one left, a black on black, just like my old one, just the color my wife had insisted on in 2011. So I changed from keeping the 2011 to doing the buyback, and getting the 2015 (likely the last of the 2.0 TDI's, at least for the foreseeable future). I view the TDI as my favorite engine, no matter what nonsense spews out from the EPA and greedy lawyers.
I basically traded straight across before taxes, etc. My buyback was $17,742, plus $350 from Bosch, and an unused payment of $974 from Geico for some kid rear ending the 2011 a couple months ago. The 2015 was $18,980 after the $5,000 deduct.
I had planned on driving the 2011 until it was completely worn out-hopefully 500,000+ miles. I plan to do the same with the 2015. It's basically just a fresh start. I gained 4 years and dropped 94,000 miles plus have a new car warranty and only had to pay sales tax (around $1200) and dealer fees (about $300).
Best of all, I get to keep driving a lovely TDI!!
NAZ TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 18:31   #3787
S2000_guy
Veteran Member

Did you receive the 'goodwill" cards?
S2000_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 00:30   #3788
NAZ TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_guy View Post
Did you receive the 'goodwill" cards?
Yes, used them up awhile back.
NAZ TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:48   #3789
dropnosky
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Good plan. We used part of the Golf money to pay towards my oldest's school loans. Puts her payments in a little more reachable catagory.
That was also a good plan, she is going to appreciate it in a few years time!

The extended nature of this process has really allowed a lot of thought to be put into how to proceed. I thought for a long time about another newer car. Ultimately i just didnt see the point in taking such a depreciation hit when i could find a just as comfortable car for a quarter the cost.

I have also ruled out all touch screen interface vehicles. There is nothing that can do for me except become dated in an impossibly short time and cost a lot of money to fix or replace if anything goes wrong. I might as well centralize that technology into a phone or tablet and get a mount for the car to hold one of those instead.

Ulitmately i found a 1500 dollar low mileage no rust car that needed tlc, put 2500 dollars of work and parts on it, and will be replacing a 5 year old passat with an 18 year old volvo that has new suspension, new brakes, new exhaust, and new tires and timing belt.
dropnosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:17   #3790
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

^^i see the appeal. Zen and the Art of Older Car Maintenance. I am too attached to modern car engine performance and handling. Your point about unnecessary tech goodies I wholeheartedly agree with.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (slated for buyback)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote