I love this car!

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Picked up my new gsw yesterday evening. Had a day off today, and a long drive ahead of me, so I decided to road trip the new car. 6 hours round trip, half of that with two year old triplets in there. I learned several things, but the consensus is that I absolutely love this car.

1-three car seats across the back seat is not very easy to do. It can be done, but it takes some work. This pic was taken in my garage at home. He was in the front seat while I had to move another seat to a different position.

2-driving well, rarely using the ac, setting the cruise at 70mph, which is the speed limit, I got awesome gas mileage. (Fuel economy, fuel economy, fuel economy)

3-driving back, it was late, I was tired, so I was a little more spirited. Drove it like I stole it, actually. My mileage suffered. Seriously, what other car can you just have dubwirh the driving, and still get this kind of mileage? It's nuts, and I love it.

4-side point, but I love right on Lake Erie. If you don't, you're probably not familiar with our once a year plague of mayflies. Needless to say, my car is badly I. Need of a car wash tomorrow morning. Here's my old Fusion I traded in yesterday on the golf. All that stuff on the ground is more mayflies. Seriously, they're the most annoying bug ever, and they're dumber than a rock.

5-just a gratuitous pic of triplet #3 since she wasn't in the first pic I posted.

Seriously, I love this car. The seats aren't very comfortable and it's hard to fit car seats, but those are my only complaints about this thing.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Congrats on the new family hauler!

Enjoy it while you have it. There will be no replacement in a few years, thanks to the 'scandal' and VW ending TDi production for 'hybrid/electric'.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
I know. I've already decided I'll be keeping this one until it's no longer feasible. Torque, mileage, and features all combine to make a car nothing else can touch, at least for my needs.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
did you get 3 seats in? if so, which models are they. We need a new seat for our 7 month old and if possible i would like to get one that we can keep for a long time.

We love ours also, getting 40 plus with a box on the roof. Erie is beautiful in the summer, i lived there the for a year and a half.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Congrats on the family!:) What beautiful children! I'll bet you and your wife are proud and hopefully, out of the barrage of diapers soon!

Nice car too!;)

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Congratulations, and the mileage is impressive given it's a brand new car.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
did you get 3 seats in? if so, which models are they. We need a new seat for our 7 month old and if possible i would like to get one that we can keep for a long time.
We love ours also, getting 40 plus with a box on the roof. Erie is beautiful in the summer, i lived there the for a year and a half.
My car is usually secondary, so I get leftover seats. I took one out of my wife LS car and three would fit easily. Diono radian rxt. They're expensive car seats, but they are narrow (17"), and have a full steel frame, so it's quite a bit heavier than most car seats. We have three of them across the third row of my wife's traverse. Highly recommend the seats.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I was about to answer Dionos before I saw/read post #8. When you get to booster land, Harmony is about the narrowest.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Ended up getting my first tank at 636 miles. 12.4 gallons. I'm happy. It did have 120 miles when I bought it, so just over 500 miles. I'm sure the dealer didn't top it off like i did, and the fact that there was some two year old fuel in the tank, I'm thinking it was pretty good.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
Good stuff Jason, thanks for posting the pics. Great looking kiddos, keep the car until they can drive and then let them share that when you upgrade. :D
I have fraternal twins that are now 8 and they did very well in their boosters on our two day road trip out, and two days home. The rear air vents are great for them back there.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Two-year-old triplets?! You're a stronger man than I.

Godspeed, sir. :)
(Very cute kids - enjoy the ride!)

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Two-year-old triplets?! You're a stronger man than I.

Godspeed, sir. :)
(Very cute kids - enjoy the ride!)
That's a typical reaction, lol. Then people find out we've also got a 5 year old, 4 year old and a 1 year old. It's a lot of work, but they keep me focused, I'd do anything in the world for them, and I wouldn't change a thing. If they decide to make an 8 passenger Atkas, I bet I'd have one of those for my wife once her lease is up on her traverse.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
We took the kids to cedar point today. Just me, my wife and thebtruplets. The others went with her grandma earlier in the day. Since it was just the five of us, we took the sportwagen. It's only about 20 miles away, but it's my car compared with my wife's lease. Normally, I don't like her I. My car because she and I have differing opinions on cars. I'm a little OCD with mine. Always have been. She trashes her car in every sense of the word. It's just how she is.
But anyway, we took my car. Was great, display showed 50mpg for the trip and that was with the ac blasting and loaded with five people, stroller and everything. Rolled it over 1,000 miles on the way home. Not bad for a car that will turn a week old tomorrrow.