www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old June 20th, 2017, 07:42   #256
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
My goodness, this thread has veered off topic!

But I will add that I do actually prefer the integrated display/device vs. a phone hanging on some sort of holder. But I too travel for work, so I have a portable Garmin (replaced an older Tom Tom). I still prefer my factory nav that my two VWs had (both RNS-510) and my current Audi (although the Audi is the older version before integration with Google Maps). I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a new Tiguan SEL Premium soon, and it will be my first experience with Car Play. Since my work phone is an iPhone, I have one I can try. My personal phone is still Windows 10, so I don't think it supports phone mirroring to the display. However, my main desire is for Pandora or Amazon Music, not nav.
I have that with Android Auto.

With Pandora on my old iPhone, when Sportcuts were offering coupons that required a screen shot, I was able to do it. Not so on my Galaxy S7, which I bought due to the rumor of Waze integration last year (which is in beta testing right now).

Too bad CarPlay/Android Auto doesn't show up in the instrument cluster, but maybe it will with the digital cockpit.
Old June 20th, 2017, 10:49   #257
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
Nope, the Garmin was VFR only, as is ForeFlight. I was a VFR-only pilot, as is the purchaser. However the plane had basic IFR equipment, alternate static, and ability to shoot VOR-LOC and NDB approaches, quite apart from the GPS.
Yeah, I was just recalling when I got licensed when GPS wasn't really used yet, but LORAN-C was the thing . . . a certified unit in either was big $$$$ . . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:43   #258
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
None of the above with Apple CarPlay. Your car's infotainment centre becomes your iPhone's (or Android's) home screen. Apple Maps displays just like an in-dash GPS, the radio stops talking when nav instructions come through... it pretty much makes spending extra for an in-dash factory unit redundant and a waste of money.

Switching radio preset stations while using the maps is a 5-7 button process on the screen. There's no dedicated button to swap between carplay and radio.

I'm glad the apple carplay wasn't an add on feature.

Also the number of times the map has gone blank due to poor cell service is rather amusing. I don't need a NAV to drive the highway I need a NAV when i'm in the middle of no where.
His/Hers: 2017 Alltrack SE, garage queen until Jetta is bought back
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:13   #259
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf Wagon 4.8 L/100 km avg, Golf TSI 6.0 L/100 km avg (summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Switching radio preset stations while using the maps is a 5-7 button process on the screen. There's no dedicated button to swap between carplay and radio.
I just hit the "band" button, and voila, the radio screen shows up and I can select any of my presets, just as if I was on any other screen.
05 Passat TDI
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:55   #260
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Frankly, from what I have seen, the Garmin route engine trounces the phone junk . . .

Oh, and on routing, I travel for work. Quite frequently, the folks I travel with try the phone crap, and we frequently don't get places on the first try. My dedicated devices never fail . . . . sometime, you *DO* get what you pay for (cheap isn't everything!)!!!
I have a 6" TomTom which has been super reliable. Only cost me $80 shipped - came complete with all supplied accessories and is the version with free lifetime traffic / map updates. So while the price was cheap the performance isn't - and it has options for how I want it to calculate a route such as Fastest, Eco, Shortest, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Yeah, but a lot of Garmin devices aren't the 6.5" of the RNS 510 (which is also incredibly sluggish), they're 4 or 5". Many modern smartphones are 5.5".

And, most people already have the smartphone.

And, IME, dedicated devices do the weirdest routing sometimes, because they're often not traffic aware, and/or they're slow and can't try as many possibilities.
I don't have a smartphone (insert gasp here - ) and find the TomTom does very well at routing. Like many things there are times when one needs to know when to ignore it. I always look up my destinations / possible routes at home and make a note if there is a particular road / town I wish to incorporate or avoid as the case may be. If a traffic situation develops along my route my TomTom will alert me and ask if I want to select an alternative route.

Map updates - I get one every 3 months for free. Have to consider fact if my TomTom cost me $80 that is lower than the price of a one-time only map update disc for the VW in-dash navigation. I see no downside of using a dedicated GPS unit at all other than I have to put it out of sight (for security) when parked. It can also be placed in another vehicle to enable navigational assistance unlike a dash navigation head unit.

One other thing - for those who like to play around with their devices the TomTom display colors can be customized to one's liking instead of being limited to the default color schemes that are standard. I created a really useful high-contrast scheme for my TomTom that is easy to decipher at a glance.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 13:46   #261
atc98002
Veteran Member

One thing I miss from my old TomTom was Yoda providing guidance. I can get it for the Garmin, but it costs. TomTom had far more voices available for free.
2010 Routan: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote