2004 Passat TDI sedan Louisiana for sale

reddysum

TDI
2004 passat tdi
I have 2004 Passat TDI gls siver with gray cloth interior with 114,900 miles that I am looking to sell. I am the original owner. I am getting rid of the car because, I now have three kids and just bought a minivan for the wife. I have always used Pentosin 505.01 for oil changes at 10000 mile intervals or every 12 months. The trasmission fluid and filter has been changed once. I have had the geared balance shaft, timing belt, alternator pulley, motor mounts, and axles done by oilhammer at approximately 90,000 miles.
Now the negatives, The check engine light with emmissions warning has been off and on for the last couple of thousand miles, which I kind of ignored since I have had no drivability issues. I drove the car on the interstate a few weeks ago once I got upto 60-70 mph the car would essentially no longer change gears/accelerate no matter how hard I pushed on the gas. Here are the 4 error codes I got from the OBD P0299 turbo/super charger underboost , P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance, P0128 Coolant Thermostat, P0118 engine coolant Temp circuit high. No torrque converter error code. I am not the least bit mechanically inclined (outside of doing basic fluid and filter changes). By the way the car is currently due a oil and filter, fuel filter and air filter change. I just don't want to spend anymore money on the car at this point. I would consider taking the vehicle to a trusted TDI mechanic but I am no where near one from what I can gather. Carmax has already made me an offer but will only take it if there is no interest here. The car had a collision about two years into ownership outside of cosmetic fixes including hood, front bumper, hood and headlights from what I remember was the radiator I believe. No issues since repair. There is a dent on the rear quarter panel about the size of my hand with no paint missing and vertically oriented ding measuring about 3-4 inches on the trunk. The condition of the rest of the vehicle I would say is good considering age. The tires have about 15,000-20,000 miles on them.
I am asking $2500 obo. I will answer any quesitons and post pictures when I get some time.
Thanks
SR

reddysum

TDI
2004 passat tdi
By the way, the car does run and drive. No rust. Again, the issue are when you get to interstate speeds. There is also a brief hesitation when trying to accelerate quickly at moderate speeds.

reddysum

TDI
2004 passat tdi
Price drop to $2000 obo. I have a seven day offer at Carmax that expires this Friday. So I am under a time crunch. If there is any interest whatsoever PM me. This would make a great 5 speed conversion given the low miles. I also saw another post looking for a parts car. This maybe it.

reddysum

TDI
2004 passat tdi
Save this car from Carmax

This will be my final post regarding this vehicle since I will no longer own the vehicle after tomorrow. I hate to sell this vehicle Carmax especially knowing the maintenance and care I have put into this vehicle. I still have the paperwork from maintenance from oil hammer for over $4000 just over three years ago. I am completely surprised by the lack of interest considering I am the original owner of this vehicle. I don't if it is price or location but this is an honest car. I would even consider keeping the vehicle if there was a trusted TDI mechanic near me. I will even post contact information just in case there is any interest whatsoever. I have gained a lot of knowledge regarding this vehicle for the last 12-13 years on this forum. Thanks for everything!

Phone
2two5-32six-82nine1

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan, 05 Passat sedan
Can't give stuff away on this site. Good luck with the new car and the growing family. Probably coolant sensor? Maybe plus a leak, (vacuum or charge line)

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I was interested and it seemed promising at first, but the turbo code along with the engine problems on the interstate, and the whole flooding issue you had 8 years ago and no other posts from you concerning how the problem was fixed made me worried that there were some real serious problems with your engine. I was imagining driving home from LA only to have rods break in MS or a turbo blow. idk. Maybe I was wrong, but I guess that'll be carfax's problem now. did they give you more than 1500?

reddysum

TDI
2004 passat tdi
The car was actually never flooded. The front end of the vehicle got into some water where there was a low point/dip while making a left turn into my neighborhood. So the car stopped so I didn't attempt to drive or restart the vehicle. I had the car towed to a tdi shop in Houston. They found some water in the intercooler pipes that was removed. No water in the engine itself. Compression tested at the time. At the same time I had all fluids and filters changed just to be cautious. No water ever got into the vehicle itself. Again oil hammer did work on the vehicle five years after that and gave it clean bill of health as well. As far as the current problems are concerned with interstate driving and turbo codes I am not sure about but I have not noticed a major loss in power and again suspect it maybe a hose but again I don't have a way confirming this. Again please contact me at the above number if there is any interest. Carmax offered less than 1500. Thanks for the interest.

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
You can try CL for 2500 and see if it's not gone by tonight?

reddysum

TDI
2004 passat tdi
The only problem with CL is that I want to find an informed buyer that understands this vehicle. I don't want to deal with people looking for cheap transportation and the first time something goes wrong they call me and blame me.

reddysum

TDI
2004 passat tdi
Thanks for the info. After sleeping on it I think I might just try Craigslist and see if there are any interested buyers. Like you suggested with searchtempest it may cast a wider net. With the Carmax offer being as low as it is I don't think I will lose out on much if I decide to sell it to them in a few weeks if I don't get any bites.

Sr

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Just be sure to use verbiage in the CL ad eliminating responsibility after the sale. I always state "Vehicle is sold as is with no warranty, cash in hand only, no trades" in my Craigslist ads. Also be clear about what you know is wrong and that you cannot foresee what may go wrong with the car in the future when they come to look at the car. Be honest and don't try to hide flaws, if you know the brake pads, etc. are shot, let them know.

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
Who does the normal service? The fuel filter may be a simple part of the problem. There is also a way to clean the turbo if it is simply gummed up. The turbo actuator is right in the front. You would simply have to either buy, rent or borrow the Mighty vac to see the turbo actuator move. IDParts even has a simple video on the turbo actuator. The vacuum hose for the actuator is right in front. Sometimes that hose cracks from the heat. (Test cold with engine off. ) Can get very hot fast! VAGCOM can test the duty cycle for you, N57. I get not wanting to spend anymore money.