www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 28th, 2010, 20:43   #46
mikey141414
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32 in the Rogue, 99 MPGe in the Sonata

I just chnaged out my nozzles yesterday and had heard a very easy way of needing to do any vaccuum. Just do 2 at a time and start the car in between. That way 2 are already primed to get the car going. It worked great! No need to crack the lines and crank on the engine like crazy.

Hope you get it going!!!

--Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.--
mikey141414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 20:48   #47
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey141414
I just chnaged out my nozzles yesterday and had heard a very easy way of needing to do any vaccuum. Just do 2 at a time and start the car in between. That way 2 are already primed to get the car going. It worked great! No need to crack the lines and crank on the engine like crazy.

Hope you get it going!!!
Now THAT is thinking with your dipstick, Mikey!!!!!

An Elegant Solution.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 21:12   #48
quantum_tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey141414

Hope you get it going!!!
Mikey gets shadetree mechanic props on this one.
quantum_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:15   #49
ItAintRodKnock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01GolfTDi
Fuel Economy: 53.3

Alright I filled the pump and filter
still can't get it to start.

1 injector leaks.
ItAintRodKnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:34   #50
Jetta2001TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 jetta

I have to ask. Where did you buy your injectors and what brand are they?
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:24   #51
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Priming a good, functioning IP is pretty straight forward. Even though you don't own a Mity-Vac, most pumps will prime themselves... it just takes a bit more work. First, make sure your filter is full of fuel. You do this by drawing fuel from the filter outlet where it connects to the IP. Alternatively, you can pull the thermostatic-T on the top of the filter and fill it w/diesel or stanadyne, dieselkleen, etc. Once you know the filter is full (or as full as possible), then try and pull the fuel from the IP side of the thermostatic-T. This is the hard part w/o a Mity-VAC. You can unhook the hose, put it into a jar/jug and crank until you get fuel. It may take a while and depends on the pump integrity and how much air it has to dispell. Don't crank for long periods of time and let the starter cool every few minutes. Once you get fuel out the outlet side of the IP, re-hook your thermostatic-T up and then crack your injector nuts. I just loosen them a few threads and wrap them in a paper towel. This keeps the fuel from spraying all over the place yet lets you see pretty quickly when fuel is coming out. Thick, heavy rags can obscure the event and get messy as they absorb lots of fuel before it shows on the outer surface. Once you get fuel to the injectors, tighten everything up and it should fire off within a few seconds (rather roughly at first). Within another few seconds, the idle should smooth out and run pretty "normally". All of this has been explained above but... you're just fighting some air in the lines and getting things primed can be somewhat of a bear, sometimes. You should entertain the idea of picking up a Mity-Vac. They're cheap and indispensible for this and many other jobs...

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:29   #52
Joester

Fuel Economy: 52/42/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubinJax
Alright I filled the pump and filter
still can't get it to start.

1 injector leaks.
how long did you crank? its going to take a while. jump to another car if you dont have the power, make sure to let things cool down too, dont just sit there cranking.
2002 VW Golf 4dr 5spd TDI ---- Malone stage 4 - Borg Warner BV-39 - PP520 Nozzles - South Bend Stage II Daily Clutch - TacoTaco Intercooler - Bilstein Sport Shocks and Struts on H&R Sport Springs - 17x7 Long Beach Wheels with Bridgestone S0-4 Summers - General Altimax Arctic on Stock 15s for Winter
Joester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:31   #53
ItAintRodKnock
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta2001TDI
I have to ask. Where did you buy your injectors and what brand are they?
Tdipart.com sprint 520s

It runs

now let's fix this leak
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:42   #54
Joester

Fuel Economy: 52/42/28

which leak? did you use new crush washers? did you use new o-rings if you pulled the T fitting?
2002 VW Golf 4dr 5spd TDI ---- Malone stage 4 - Borg Warner BV-39 - PP520 Nozzles - South Bend Stage II Daily Clutch - TacoTaco Intercooler - Bilstein Sport Shocks and Struts on H&R Sport Springs - 17x7 Long Beach Wheels with Bridgestone S0-4 Summers - General Altimax Arctic on Stock 15s for Winter
Joester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 13:09   #55
ItAintRodKnock
Veteran Member

I think it's the new rubber fuel lines I installed.
They slipped on too easily.
Old March 20th, 2017, 16:15   #56
n6nxl

I put one and a half gallons of diesel in a 2 gallon jug and set it on the passenger side roof. Then I disconnected the hose from the tank into the fuel filter. Then I borrowed that short piece of rubber hose from the coolant overflow tank, And pulled a siphon on a piece of quarter inch clear plastic tube. Using the short 2 inch piece of black rubber hose to connect the two I did all my cranky and priming with a pressurized fuel system. Once the engine started I reconnected the tank supply and dump the rest of the fuel cans in the tank
n6nxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 17:30   #57
Dieselmonkey02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: 48-50 avg. 44 lowest 51.5 highest

Wrong size fuel lines and regular "screw" hose clamps will give you all sorts of fits.
Dieselmonkey02 is offline   Reply With Quote