02 beetle TDI n 02 Jetta TDI

NorthernVdub

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI 5spd
I am looking at picking up a wrecked 02 Beetle TDI and I was wondering if the engine/trans are the exact same as my 02 Jetta TDI? Are most of the sensors mounted the same? I am planning on either keeping it as a back up or build it up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So long as it came from a car with the same transmission, it is 95% the same. The only differences are the Beetle gets a few extra brackets (coolant bleed hose bracket on upper rear bolt of EGR valve, lower radiator hose bracket at front lower part of block, A/C line bracket at flywheel end of cylinder head, wire harness holder at oil filter housing, hose bracket in front of injection pump), and the coolant crossover pipe has a different angled nipple for the hose coming from the coolant reservoir.

If it came from a car with a different transmission, the injection pump and injectors will also be different, as well as the water neck at the rear of the cylinder head.

NorthernVdub

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI 5spd
So long as it came from a car with the same transmission, it is 95% the same. The only differences are the Beetle gets a few extra brackets (coolant bleed hose bracket on upper rear bolt of EGR valve, lower radiator hose bracket at front lower part of block, A/C line bracket at flywheel end of cylinder head, wire harness holder at oil filter housing, hose bracket in front of injection pump), and the coolant crossover pipe has a different angled nipple for the hose coming from the coolant reservoir.

If it came from a car with a different transmission, the injection pump and injectors will also be different, as well as the water neck at the rear of the cylinder head.
They both are 5spd trans. It sounds like a couple small things are different. So it would be fairly easy to swap every thing to work in a Jetta.
Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, no problem. You'll see what I mean about the brackets and the coolant pipe, pretty self explanitory.