www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old June 25th, 2010, 17:30   #1
YODAUSA

Default 06 dsg jetta money pit is gone

Well my friends, I will miss you. I have enjoyed this forum and the friendships I have found since my 06 jetta purchase last May 09.
In my 69 years, I have never had a more undependable vehicle with so many many many faults. It is a terrible and sad thing that VW has done to the customers of this country.

I loved the mileage that the little Jetta gave me. However when you start to add up the cost of tranny fluid/filter changes, timeing belt maintenace along with the ever present problems with AC, CAM and especially the DSG, it is a never ending money pit.

I picked up the Jetta from the dealership at 11am this morning after the DMF repair at about 1:45 It was at the Buick dealership being traded for a LaCrosse. The dealership was aware of the DMF problems that are starting to become appearent with the DSG models - I am afraid that the value that was once a wonderful thing for the DTI is starting tO head south as more and more dealerships are becoming more aware of the DSG problems. My advice too those of you that don't have DEEP DEEP POCKETS,,,, JUMP SHIP, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!
I will miss this forum!!! I AM JUST REALLY SAD today, that the jetta just didn't stand up to the test. And I am sorry for those that are stuck with them and can't afford to get out from under them.

For everyone's info my jetta had 60,000 when the failure occurred, I fought with VW America since January armed with a Recall from Australia on some Golfs DMF they relented and did pay half of my costs..

SORRY B YE BYE

Last edited by YODAUSA; June 25th, 2010 at 18:40.
YODAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 18:39   #2
narongc73
Veteran Member

I don't blame you. I should have stayed away from my 06 but I didn't have a lot of choices...Already spent over 200 on the dsg oil and engine oil change. Now I gotta spend money on a new flywheel. People think they are saving money because of the MPG but they will spend that money saved on fixing the damn thing.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 18:51   #3
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Good luck with the new Buick, Yoda. We'll miss you!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 23:26   #4
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YODAUSA View Post
Well my friends, I will miss you. I have enjoyed this forum and the friendships I have found since my 06 jetta purchase last May 09.
In my 69 years, I have never had a more undependable vehicle with so many many many faults. It is a terrible and sad thing that VW has done to the customers of this country.

I loved the mileage that the little Jetta gave me. However when you start to add up the cost of tranny fluid/filter changes, timeing belt maintenace along with the ever present problems with AC, CAM and especially the DSG, it is a never ending money pit.

I picked up the Jetta from the dealership at 11am this morning after the DMF repair at about 1:45 It was at the Buick dealership being traded for a LaCrosse. The dealership was aware of the DMF problems that are starting to become appearent with the DSG models - I am afraid that the value that was once a wonderful thing for the DTI is starting tO head south as more and more dealerships are becoming more aware of the DSG problems. My advice too those of you that don't have DEEP DEEP POCKETS,,,, JUMP SHIP, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!
I will miss this forum!!! I AM JUST REALLY SAD today, that the jetta just didn't stand up to the test. And I am sorry for those that are stuck with them and can't afford to get out from under them.

For everyone's info my jetta had 60,000 when the failure occurred, I fought with VW America since January armed with a Recall from Australia on some Golfs DMF they relented and did pay half of my costs..

SORRY B YE BYE
Too bad you bought a POS used car. Please keep that buick out of the left lane.
06 Jetta TDI White w/Beige Pkg 2 DSG
06 Jetta TDI Black w/Beige Pkg 0 5MT
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:49   #5
Jnitrofish
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Bad on short trips, good on long trips.

Quote:
And I am sorry for those that are stuck with them and can't afford to get out from under them.
I know what you mean....well not really, cause you could just wholesale it and buy a beat up Geo metro or a late 90's beige toyota to get you back and forth to work, then use the remaining money to pay the VW off, and still have "transportation." (i.e resist the urge to trade in the wife for the newer, better looking and more feature filled model, then expect to come out on top in the divorce.)

Heh, who am I kidding, I cant afford them and I just purchased my third early MkV after the last one was crushed.

Hope your Buick provides the many trouble free miles your old car couldn't give you.

-Jnitrofish
MkV for life.
[ 2005.5 :: 06/05 Jetta 5m Franko6 BEW Cam/Malone Tuned - Equipped for towing (Bosal/Airlift/Tekonsha) || 2005.5 :: 05/05 Jetta 5m Tuned (Wife's Car) || 2006 :: 02/06 Jetta DSG Malone Tuned (Dad's Car) ]
[ 4 TDI tally: 4 cam jobs, 5 timing belts, 4 alternator pulleys, 2 DMF, 1 G60/VR6, 1 Jetta ] [ Explained engine vibration
]
Jnitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:28   #6
MostroDiesel
Veteran Member

The LaCrosse is reputed to be a good and nice car. Did GM give you a nice warranty on it?

I tell ya, it's getting harder to pass on American cars nowadays, although I plan on driving my JSW into the ground over the next, say, fifteen years. Hopefully the JSW is on the same page with me. Sorry about your lousy experience and good luck with the Buick.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:25   #7
Harvieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammer View Post
Too bad you bought a POS used car. Please keep that buick out of the left lane.
You got that poop right! So, so many people get caught buying TDIs based on price as opposed to buying via smarts. These TDIs are not for everyone but, by being an active member here or acquiring TDIs from trusted and knowledgeable sources can make the ownership experience what it should be in most cases or should I say, more palatable?

I see it everyday. Dealer's take cosmetically prime TDIs in trade and probably run them through their shop ie: wrong oil, overlooking DMF noise, lack of knowledge diagnosing possible cam wear, rad fan inop., EGR cooler hissing, and the list goes on. Many think these dealer's steal these trades when in actuality, they fricken need to. The problem is, they don't have the skills or knowledge to make the car right. To make the car right, the costs go up and therefore the price has to follow suit. It's quite simple really. "You Generally Only Get What You Pay For" (Some do pay big and still get porked, however) and it's not like this hasn't been preached to this venue for years now but, *** do I know, eh? Later!
Harvieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:05   #8
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:

SORRY B YE BYE

Good luck with the new car. The warranties on the "big 3" vehicles are much better and hopefully their workmanship has improved as well (although, IMHO I don't think they can underwhelm me more so then they previously have).

I have said this before and I will say it again, the DSG is German for Fail. Why people opt for this POS tranny blows my mind, but to each their own. Again, good luck with the new car.
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 14:04   #9
Rod Bearing
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Several

Amen to keeping that Buick out of the left lane!

hahahahaha!!!
Rod Bearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 18:43   #10
ArizonaTDI

Buick, are you kidding me?
ArizonaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 18:50   #11
mysql
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta wagon

I didn't know Buick was still around!

Funny how they kept that but dumped Saturn.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 19:55   #12
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Interesting how when a person starts a thread about bailing from owning TDI because of HPFP concerns the thread get locked. But, when one posts about bailing because of DSG issues, it stays open.
Old July 4th, 2010, 18:44   #13
abakos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): -----

I seem to recall a very long conversation with the good Mr. Yoda last year as we discussed DSG failures...and I completely understand why one may have trouble trusting a car with a long list of serious faults.

If you can keep them running they're a hoot

Hope the Buick is a pleasant and reliably experience!!
-Aaron

SOLD - 2006 Jetta TDI/DSG Pkg 2
Silver on Black
abakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 20:02   #14
kstef
Veteran Member

Funny, I got flamed for calling my car a Money pit a few months ago.

All cars have issues, but it still kills me that a cam and a flywheel wears in a car from 2005.5

"Drive more worry less" is a crappy theory....
It's kinda like, sit back and let it self destruct.

2007.5 Dodge MegaCab, 6.7L Cummins, 4x4, Laramie, White, Smarty ME , DPF -> Highway:20mpg+

Last edited by kstef; August 28th, 2010 at 11:02.
kstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 20:12   #15
big_ole_truck
Veteran Member

Which trim level did you get? The Buick Lacrosse is a fine looking car IMHO. Enjoy.
big_ole_truck is offline   Reply With Quote