What did you do to your car today?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Piranha said:
Head Lifted and I blew my F*****g P***e o* S**t Head f*****g gasket.

haqq ghal liba ttir!!!!!
I don't know what you said, but it sounds bad and you sound pissed!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Zippy's back in the garage...

Got a new right from axle and another right rear wheel bearing and hub! (that makes 2 in less than a year) :( Got rid of most of the nasty vibrations and humming noises... now I just have to figure out where my new vibrations are coming from... low vibration at 2k both under load and when decelerating, then it gets worse at 3800-4k (under load only)- it's ruining my powerband! I'm thinking new motor mounts are next....or maybe my clutch is on it's way out (time for an upgrade when that happens).... grrrrr. So much work... so little money. :p

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Powder Hound said:
What I did:

More than a year ago I began a search for a proper regulator for the current to LEDs. The objective was to replace various lights on my car with LEDs in order to give better light as well as keep from having to replace hard to get to light bulbs.

About 9 months ago, having found a suitable power solution, I designed a replacement city light bulb. I installed it to determine whether my power solution worked and if the heat sink I came up with would prove adequate to allow the LEDs to live in their new home.

Having decided that my test was successful and making a couple of design changes to lower the heat stress on the power supply, I installed what should be a long lasting yet brilliant end result.

The new city lights are in amber. They are nearly bright enough to be weak fog lamps, but at any rate are visible with the low beams on (see the second photo) and give a rich amber illumination to the high beam reflectors.

I also tried one in blue, red, and green. I did a white one, but the LEDs were defective and fried themselves immediately. Sometime I'll fix that.

The photos of the red and blue were a little disappointing because the camera could not capture the true color saturation. You can check them in my member's gallery photos. I think they'd be sufficient to be used as police lights. Of course, I wouldn't leave them in - it is illegal in Arizona (and most every state, I'd bet) to display red or blue lights on the front of your car.
I get my H6W OEM HID City light bulbs at the Mercedes dealer for less than half of what Audi sells them for. The guy thinks I'm nuts since I buy them 4 at a time. hehe

If these survive long term, I commend you for your work. :eek:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
RC3 RC3 RC3 (not stuttering, meeting the Fred verbosity requirement)

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Received replacement seats for project A3 Jetta. Cleaned carpet and installed seats. Also received new front bumper cover.

Also bought 16" NB wheels for my 2000 Jetta with 15" 5spoke.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
This is delayed about a week but 7 days ago I purchased a 2003 Golf, drove 800 miles to KROUT's in Jax, had him install a DD clutch from BB, PP764 nozzles, DG Sigma Five SS kit, and I flashed my ECU from Alligator with my Q loader. Car is a different animal now :)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
mtltdi said:
If these survive long term, I commend you for your work. :eek:
Compared to other offerings, they already have survived long term. But, I'll accept your gracious complement at the appropriate time if you let me know what "long term" is in your book!

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
parked it

Parked it today for a two week out schedule for work, This is extremely disapionting after a 1000 mile drive to work with a new 658 gearset and a heavy foot. 65 mpg though

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
mtltdi said:
I get my H6W OEM HID City light bulbs at the Mercedes dealer for less than half of what Audi sells them for. The guy thinks I'm nuts since I buy them 4 at a time. hehe
thats what I do all the time, I just go to the local benz dealer:D

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
euro R32 FIS cluster

I swapped this:
TDI FIS cluster
[/IMG]
for this:
euro R32 FIS cluster
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Now I can see at what RPM the engine is at, before the tach used to just disappear @ 5500rpms , much happier now with this + RC6:D

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
delvi__acevedo said:
I swapped this:
TDI FIS

Now I can see at what RPM the engine is at, before the tach used to just disappear @ 5500rpms , much happier now with this + RC6:D
Did Jeff get that working for you Delvi? What are you going to do with the old one...:D

Nice to see you alive and well ....seems you've been working a millions hours. You usually post in this thread at least twice a week.

LOL:D

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
BrianCT said:
Did Jeff get that working for you Delvi? What are you going to do with the old one...:D
Nice to see you alive and well ....seems you've been working a millions hours. You usually post in this thread at least twice a week.
LOL:D
hi Brian, im getting ready to go to sleep:(
I got this one from germany and it came with the login code so I just swapped with vagcom and set the miles on the odometer, the old one already has a new owner:D ( 95 avus blue) he is going to install it on his 2000 jetta.
going to get some sleep now:)

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Zippy_car said:
Got a new right from axle and another right rear wheel bearing and hub! (that makes 2 in less than a year) :( Got rid of most of the nasty vibrations and humming noises... now I just have to figure out where my new vibrations are coming from... low vibration at 2k both under load and when decelerating, then it gets worse at 3800-4k (under load only)- it's ruining my powerband! I'm thinking new motor mounts are next....or maybe my clutch is on it's way out (time for an upgrade when that happens).... grrrrr. So much work... so little money. :p
zippy!!

I would suspect the clutch. but I am not there quite unfortunatly. . so I cannot tell you for sure.

but if the vibration is happening ONLY under load. . .that leans towards a clutch issue.

you still have the OEM Dual mass flywheel and clutch??? I assume so.

time for a South Bend from tdiparts!!!! they are sweet!!

I dont have one. . . . .. . yet

come back to NE. you NEED to drive a hybrid turbo, RC 6 car. . .ala IBW. . WOW

Brian

PS I put in my new Hybrid Turbo yesterday. More to come, but I am happy alredy.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
oldpoopie said:
no provision for glowplug light I assume
Justin, that is tuff for me to answer, yes and no:confused:
ok the cluster does has the LED in place and it works, but here is the detail, the R32 face gauge does not have a clear spot for this LED is all black on that area so I can't see it.

I dont really use it any way because when the car is cold I use the remote starter to start the car and that is set up with the glow plug relay.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I replaced my injector hold down bolts with socket head grade 12.9 capscrews. I had one that was "stuck" and I waited until I had some replacements in hand before I twisted it off.

I soaked it with penetrating fluid about a week ago and tried it again today with a ratchet and was really cranking on it to get it loose and felt that "little movement" and stopped before it twisted off. Got out the PH3050 air hammer and gave the head of the bolt about 1 second worth of "tapping" and was able to remove it with just a bit more than finger effort.

So if you have one that you're afraid will twist off, there's nothing like beating the hell out of it with an air hammer :). You could use a 2 lb hammer and a punch as well if you don't have an air hammer.

Also had to have a little fun with the pop tester. Picture does not do it justice - it makes 5 flames each about 18" long for a very bright orange 3 ft diameter circle of fire. Maybe try and get a video next time as I still have one injector to check due to the above bolt situation.

[/IMG]

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Fix_Until_Broke said:
Also had to have a little fun with the pop tester. Picture does not do it justice - it makes 5 flames each about 18" long for a very bright orange 3 ft diameter circle of fire.
Inside the combustion chamber, the fuel would ignite immediately and never touch the piston moving up towards it. Assuming, of course, that the injection timing is correct and the nozzles are in good condition.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Fix_Until_Broke said:
Also had to have a little fun with the pop tester. Picture does not do it justice - it makes 5 flames each about 18" long for a very bright orange 3 ft diameter circle of fire. ...
Hmmm, sure doesn't look like the time I had mine pop tested:

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Powder Hound said:
Compared to other offerings, they already have survived long term. But, I'll accept your gracious complement at the appropriate time if you let me know what "long term" is in your book!
I bought some overpriced H6W LED's from the UK and had them frying about one every month until I switched back to Halogens. So long term would probably be anything more than 6-12 months which is what I get from my headlight city lights, and the H6W's in my Hella Euro DRL's.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Zippy: Sorry to hear that you are replacing rear bearings with frequency :(, hope that the new batch is better than the old one(s).

Maybe get the bearing(s) from a VW dealer, that way you can claim a the warranty period for them and might not have to pay for that part again.

Good luck!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
This was just for relative comparison, could be a few bar off, but it works well enough to see if I've got a drippy nozzle or bad pattern or a leaky one, etc and to check the pop pressures relative to one another. Getting the torch out and lighting it on fire was just having a little fun

That looks like a pretty fancy continuious flow machine, will that provide enough flow to get the main stage to open? - where did you have that done?

Powder Hound said:
Hmmm, sure doesn't look like the time I had mine pop tested:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Well last week end I did an oil change and stuff for the inlaws up in Syracuse, NY. They're 83 and 80 years old ...he's bought the car new in 2003, a TDI Wagen and it has 33,000 miles on it presently.

I noticed during the oil change and tire rotation ...winter tires off and summer tires on ...that the rear brake pads we worn. I had a set with rotors sitting back home in CT so ...decided to make that a second trip for the following week end ...that being ...this weekend.:D

So off I went.

I thank Keith [meganuke] for answering my dumb quesiton on the Metalnerd tool ...as I was having issues backing up the caliper piston. I've done couple dozen rear brake jobs in the last 5 years but for some reason had a brain fart on the tool useage [backing nut]. Keith answered it for me. Right to loosen and backing nut left to tighten against backing plate.

Click to enlarge images if so wishing.:D