2002 Jetta TDI Variant (wagon) questions...

Turbo Guy

I found out today that the TDI has finally become available in the Jetta variant and I want one really bad! But I have a couple of questions that I hope somebody can answer:

1) Is the factory sport suspension option available in the Jetta variant equipped with the TDI? How about the 17" wheel/tire option?

2) Did VW begin supplying Jetta's with the double DIN combo CD/Cassette in dash setup or is the CD player still an option. (I want mine with Monsoon like I had in my Passat).

3) Were the cupholders in the 2002's moved to the console or are they still those funky swing out in dash models like I had in my Passat?

Thanks from a soon to be member of the TDI club.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Turbo Guy ]</p>

First D

Veteran Member
Don't think the sport suspension is available, I definitely know that 15" wheels are the only size available.

I think the cup holders are the funky kind you describe, they swing out over the radio. They're neat, but I'm afraid to use them for fear of spilling liquid on the radio.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
the sprot sus. and the wheels you can by after market form the dealer. you would be stuck with the OEM stuff and the cost would be higher then if it where an option from the factory. however, if your dealer is a nice one, and you will be speding some good bucks from them, they may give you a deal on the wheels and suspension. the wheels you could recoupe some of the cost with sellgin the OEM's and the suspension, well, you may be able to find someone that is looking to replace their OEM stuff, that is worn out, with OEM stuff. tell the dealer what you want and hope for the best, otherwise shop around for a better deal of what you want. my salesman often calls me to let me know that someone is upgrading wheels and looking to sell thier OEM's.

good luck

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
wait a minute, if you are in Michigan you will want to keep the stock wheels for winter. and as for the suspension, keep it stock if the roads suck where you live. i know around Detroit, and most major roads leaving from, are very poor

Turbo Guy

I'm not too keen about installing a sport suspension after purchasing the car. On my former Passat I purchased all the factory 1BE sport suspension components and had them installed. While the handling was improved and the car sat no more than 3/4 inch lower, the steering wheel was never quite centered even though the alignment was perfect. And I'm real picky about having my steering wheel centered!

I would definately keep the steel wheels because I have a set of Blizzaks with only one winter on them. I'd consider a light weight three season alloy wheel but will not be considering a wider/lower high performance tire. I was running Bridgestone RE-730's on my Passat spring through fall and while they were an excellent tire, they were a lot wider than stock. As a result, my fuel mileage dropped off by 2 - 3 mpg when they were on the car.....

andyl

1) You only factory options are 15 inch steal wheels with full wheel covers (barf) or 15 inch alloy wheels (much nicer). The alloy wheels are parth of the luxury package which also includes a sun roof.

2) The Double DIN Monsoon sound system is an option. It is a 200 Watt 8 Speaker system with in dash tape and single CD. I am not sure what the base system is.

3)Funky cup holders that pop out from above the radio. They work well as long as you were not planning on adjusting the radio while using them. They will hold more than your standard 12 ounce beverage can.

Just bought my Mojave Beige TDI Wagon last week. Best car I have ever owned.

pkagel

Veteran Member
TDI
02Jetta
you can tune the radiop if you have the multi-function steering wheel. i bought the leather and lux. pkg. just so i could get that wheel as i like to sit far from the wheel and don't like to bend in half to change stations.